Tough mySQL algorithm

I'm not sure if it's because this is a really complex problem or if I'm just really tired from programming for 13+ hours, but I have a tough on for you pros. I have a client that sends traffic data to a mysql table on my server. The important fields are:
    CID: Client ID
    Real_Date: Date of data recorded in the format yyyy-mm-dd
    Hour: 0-23
    Hits: How many hits in that hour.

The problem is, if there were no hits to the client in a given hour, then there will be no record for a given Real_Date, Hour.

The other piece of data that gets received is the startdate. Assuming the startdate is 2006-10-01, then this field is telling the server that it will be receiving data representative of 2006-10-02 forward. On top of that, if it is transmitting today at 1pm, then it will also represent today's data for the hours 0-13.

Here's what I have so far:
    PHP Code:
    // delete duplicate records before import
    mysql_query("DELETE FROM SMStats WHERE CID='$ClientID' AND Real_Date > '$STARTDATE'") or die(mysql_error());  

foreach (
    $pushdata['stat_info'] as $key => $value) {
    $date $value['date'];
    $hour $value['hour'];
    $hits $value['hits'];
    mysql_query("INSERT INTO SMStats (CID, REAL_DATE, HOUR, HITS ) 
    $ClientID', '$date', '$hour', '$hits' )") or die(mysql_error()); 
    // Zero-fill any missing data
    $result mysql_query("SELECT REAL_DATE, HOUR FROM SMStats WHERE WHERE CID='$ClientID
                AND Real_Date > '
    $STARTDATE'  ORDER BY REAL_DATE, HOUR") or die (mysql_error());
    $row mysql_fetch_array($resultMYSQL_ASSOC) ) {
    // if the record doesn't exist, create it

The zero-fill part is the part I'm not getting. I need to check the hours 0-23 for startdate+1 until the max hour of the max real_date of the data. Then I need to create a record with zero hits if it doesn't exist.

Any help would be appreciated.

Southern California
    This might be the easy way out, but why don't you just insert every possible record for that given time?

PHP Code:
    $res mysql_query("INSERT IGNORE INTO `SMStats` (`REAL_DATE`,`HOUR`,`HITS`) VALUES ('$STARTDATE',1,0),('$STARTDATE',2,0),('$STARTDATE',3,0)"); 
    Its obviously not complete, and partially incorrect becuase i dont' know your DB, but you get the idea.

It is necessary to use INSERT IGNORE so the query does not fail.

I was close to getting it to work last night, but it was really kludgy. I created a for-next loop and was querying the database on every pass. I never new about INSERT IGNORE.

Thanks again,