* installing harddrive, help

Hi
    I tried to install a 8 gig drive into my 2 gig drive ibm netvista(older pc). It powered up showing a 2 gig drive. I am green at this so I am confused. I matched the jumpers on the 8 gig to the 2. Is that why it is showing only as a 2. What can I do to get the full 8 gig drive? Is it the jumpers at all?
    Thank you
    Roxanne

Usually you have to set the BIOS to recognise the new HDD. If not the PC still think it's a 2gig. Do you do this?
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

hmmm, well if you mean pressing f1 etc. and changing things in there, yes. I have had to go in and adjust ram when I have added it on another system. Is that what you mean?

You may need to update the bios, older pc's had limits on how big a hdd they could see.

http://www.computeruser.com/articles...1,0604,01.html
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Yup, i meant that. Another possibility is your PC is just plain old and doesn't support greater than 2gigs. But I think that's unlikely. Something to do with LBA mode or something. Nowadays new PC just automatically detect harddrives.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Check our uptime

If you do upgrade your firmware, be careful! You can permantly mess it up!

Well that rings a bell. I remember my computer is set up to auto detect harddrives but I didnt think that meant the size. My ibm is a 2000 or so it had me on it when I got it and I put win 98se on it. So if it auto detects does that mean it isnt working or ?????? I didnt go very far with just turned it on and checked the drive size.

Thank you for that tip trau. I read that and it was not too incouraging but very interesting.

Thank you three for you quick responses. I guess I am out of luck unless my puter desides to detect my new harddrive. I appreciate all the informative info.
    Roxanne

Get a new PC! You can't do much with 8gig anyway
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Check our uptime

Wish I was rich

Quote Originally Posted by irbigbird
    Wish I was rich
    You can still use a drive overlay program to get the drive to work. It's not ideal, and can cause some issues down the road (such as if you boot from a regular boot floppy you will not be able to access the drive), but it will work.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Thumbs up

Thank you for the suggestion but thats a bit too deep for me. But all the info and suggestions are wonderful!

What brand drive is the 8GB drive?

I cant remember, it was a few months ago that I tried to install it. I will look tomorrow and get back here with an answer. It is in a puter I bought used.

Hi
    Its me, it is a fujitsu limited.

I don't believe that Fujitsu has any settings to alter itself for older BIOS support. Your best bet is going to be DiskManager hunt around and find yourself a copy of DiskManager, many drives come with the software.

I guess its hard for me to believe that a 2000 puters bios is that obsolete.
    Thanks again for your help!