Thread: What hosting

Lightbulb What hosting

Hi
    At the moment I have a host reseller account.
    It is an unlimited offer, bandwidth and space.
    I now have 150 + sites on it.
    The only problem is support that i receive is lacking.
    I do like the company but they are very small and very slow to respond if I have a problem.

Now I want a change.
    I need to be able to host up to 300 websites.
    These are lowly little sites.
    Each one I offer 1Gb bandwidth and 100 Mb storage.
    Most of them use less than 10% of the allotted bandwidth.

What I am looking for is some advice.
    Would it be a good route to get me a VPS?
    I do not want to manage a server myself because I am a thicky, thicko when it comes to this.
    I like to design and leave the difficult tech part to people that know it better than me!!

Any advice would be most welcome, even a point to some nice reading would be of help.

Cheers
    Mark

Hi, there are number otf tutorials here, have look at those.

If your sites are small VPS is good idea.

If in need of quality support, omit oversellers.
    What is your budget ?

It beg to differ with the concept that over seller cannot provide quality support. It is all about managing a server, no matter how much one is overselling. eg a hosting company moves on the next server when say 75% resources are used (evrn if they are overselling) while another keeps using the resources till 95% are used (even when they are not using oveselling). Which one is better. Other areas also deals with skills to manage the servers and manage customers. which has got nothing to do with oversellilng

So, do you need about 30 GB of space and 300 Gb of bandwidth, right?
    I think that the better is going to be to get an small dedicated server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by muneer
    It beg to differ with the concept that over seller cannot provide quality support. It is all about managing a server, no matter how much one is overselling. eg a hosting company moves on the next server when say 75% resources are used (evrn if they are overselling) while another keeps using the resources till 95% are used (even when they are not using oveselling). Which one is better. Other areas also deals with skills to manage the servers and manage customers. which has got nothing to do with oversellilng
    Hmm, A little correction to be made, its more than just disk space and bandwidth. Sometimes you won't even get to 50% used and you'll have to go to a new server, because many sites take more processing power and ram to run!

It beg to differ with the concept that over seller cannot provide quality support.
    What are overseller's selling? They are basically selling something they don't have,hoping they get lucky.

Overselling is what has hurt the hosting business for everyone, hosters and hostees. I don't see any need to try to validate it.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you.
    Is not overselling what's hurting the hosting business.

Unethical hosts, kiddie host, people don't know what they are doing fraud, and a lot of other things are hurting it. Or do you think that a host like Hostgator is hurting this business?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by meanpc
    Overselling is what has hurt the hosting business for everyone, hosters and hostees. I don't see any need to try to validate it.

I totally agree
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Darn and I thought incomepetence is what was ruining the hosting business for everyone. How could I have been so blind.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Sorry, but I don't agree with you.
    Is not overselling what's hurting the hosting business.
    I didn't think you agreed with me. Since you yourself are selling 100 Gigs of transfer for $5/month. At that price point, you cannot either provide adequate service or support IMO. You may disagree again.

I do agree with your other points though.

No, I'm selling it at $15.95, you get that price only if you pay 3 years in advance .
    But I do not agree with you, just because I think different , that's why of our business model, as I said, I don't think that Hostgator is hurting this business, and they oversell like any other.

No, I'm selling it at $15.95
    Oh, that's what the asterisk was for!

Hostgator doesn't oversell as bad as most. I don't have any personal experience with them. Didn't realize we were talking about them - did I miss something?

No, sorry, I was just trying to give an example of an overselling host not hurting the business.