question about domain transfers

I finally got control of my domains from 1planhost. I have changed the pointers, but it still appears 1plan is the company I have to deal with for my domain names. Is there anyway to get them completely away from them. I am concerned they are going out of business. They are up for renewal, and don't want to give anymore money than I already have to 1plan. Thanks

transfer the domain to another company. a DOMAIN company, not a hosting company. make sure your email is in the contacts (whois).

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt
    transfer the domain to another company. a DOMAIN company, not a hosting company. make sure your email is in the contacts (whois).
    Yes, I agree with CD Burnt. I just want to give you a link to the ICANN website:
    http://www.icann.org/transfers/text.htm#TransferDomain
    there you can learn what you need to do to transfer the domain name how the transfer works.

Hope it helps you.

Do you still want to use 1plan hosting? or you're thinking of moving domains and finding a new host?

Quote Originally Posted by HHIC
    Do you still want to use 1plan hosting? or you're thinking of moving domains and finding a new host?
    No, I jumped ship. After numerous problems the past couple of months. I have now moved my sites to hostgator, and now thanks to some suggestions here, have things moving toward moving my domains to namecheap. We'll see how successful I am.

Your not going to believe this, but 1Planhost.com is holding my domains hostage. I just got notification that they refused to transfer them. What total BS. Now what do I do...I tried calling and the person I spoke to said I would have to reply to that email...what no phone number? It's allot easier to ignore an email than a live person on the phone I guess....

This is typical for many domains registered at hosting providers. You should have moved your domaind BEFORE moving hosting providers. You are unlikely to get this problem resolved easily.

How long before they expire?
    Are your domains pointing to your hostgator hosted sites?
    Who is the admin contact on a whois search?

My advice would be to at least renew the domains at the existing hosting company. Deal with the old hosting company to get your name as the Admin Contact, unlock the domains, then put in a transfer request at your preferred registrar.

If all else fails, then providing you have proof of purchase and you are the Regitrant Contact in the whois lookup, then appeal to the registrar where the domain is registered.
    Signature Under Construction.