lo-fi host w/ shell access and screen?

I'm looking for a host to park my domain on that will serve mostly text files -- lots of HTML, CSS, JS, plain text, source code, and small GIFs. (Larger media files will be stored on other servers.) I won't be needing to transfer a lot of data, but when I do, it should be quick. Disk space should be around ~500mb for the sake of headroom. Here's the tricky part, though. I also need shell access and freedom to run background processes with sockets, esp. IRC and AIM clients. Ideally these processes should be able to run for days without interrupted service.

Looking to pay as little as posssible, naturally

Any suggestions?

Considering you're looking for Background Process ability this is going to limit your choices quite a bit I'd say as most hosting providers don't provide ssh2 access and most on top of that who do have clauses against running of backgrounds.

I'd say your best bet would be to look on a place like shellsearch.com and see if you can strike up a custom deal with an IRC shell provider (as that I'd think would suit your needs) since many IRC shell companies also provide webhosting.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

I'd suggest shell account or VPS.
    A tiny tiny cheap VPS costs around $5.

And you should be careful about anything related to IRC, as many hosts
    (even VPS and dedicated) prohibit them.

Some shared hosts allow you to run background processes,
    but it's pretty rare.

I would recommend either getting a VPS, or getting 2 accounts: 1 web hosting and 1 shell account.

Thanks guys. I will take a look at some shell providers. The web hosting aspect is too minimal to warrant its own account I think.

VPS is definitely your best option, but you need to be able to setup apache and such for yourself or lease a control panel because a VPS is basically like having your own small dedicated server.

Westhost offers shell access with their hosting (their idea of a VPS, not really) but it might be good for you because I believe you don't have to setup your own hosting. Contact them to see if they allow what your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    VPS is definitely your best option, but you need to be able to setup apache and such for yourself or lease a control panel because a VPS is basically like having your own small dedicated server.

Westhost offers shell access with their hosting (their idea of a VPS, not really) but it might be good for you because I believe you don't have to setup your own hosting. Contact them to see if they allow what your doing.
    I looked at westhost; they say in their TOS they don't allow IRC processes ("We do not allow IRC or IRC bots to be operated on our servers").

The only reason why I'm opposed to a VPS is because I think it's overkill. And most likely overpay as well.

No way, you can find a VPS in any range...64MB all the way up to 2GB of RAM. I know some company was offering 64MB 1GB space for like $4/month in the offers forum...don't know how reliable it is but just saying they do get pretty cheap. If you need a control panel though, that eats up some RAM but if you can do it without then you can run your hosting on that easily.

But make sure the host allows IRC which isn't very many because of the DDOS attacks that come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx
    No way, you can find a VPS in any range...64MB all the way up to 2GB of RAM. I know some company was offering 64MB 1GB space for like $4/month in the offers forum...don't know how reliable it is but just saying they do get pretty cheap. If you need a control panel though, that eats up some RAM but if you can do it without then you can run your hosting on that easily.

But make sure the host allows IRC which isn't very many because of the DDOS attacks that come with it.
    Interesting. THanks for the info, devonblzx. I will keep an eye out for cheap VPS packages. Anyone know of any off hand? I don't need a control panel by the way.

Check the Web Hosting Offers >> VPS forum here....you'll find a bunch and just use the search function to find reviews.

Having background process needs, the ability to use sockets, IRC and AIM isn't exactly considered "low-fi" - is it?!

So I agree with previous posters - a VPS would fit you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik
    Having background process needs, the ability to use sockets, IRC and AIM isn't exactly considered "low-fi" - is it?!

So I agree with previous posters - a VPS would fit you best.
    My choice of words might have been misleading. By "lo-fi" I didn't mean minimal, so much as low RAM, disk space and CPU requirements.

I see, however using IRC and other resources on your account is often not allowed in shared environments, as IRC often attracts trouble to the particular server you're on. Not to mention that it eats memory / cpu-resources.

Go for a VPS if you want the previously mentioned features - or a host that specialize on IRC / Shells.