hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Yahoo as registrar: Pros and cons

Forum Jump

Yahoo as registrar: Pros and cons

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Question

Yahoo as registrar: Pros and cons

I would be grateful if you please tell me the pros and cons of using Yahoo as a domain registrar.

I have registered two domains with them and didn't find any issues as yet. I read that Yahoo is not feasible for a registrar. I am going to register another domain and intending to use Yahoo again.

Please advise me about your views.

Regards,

Riz

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

I can't see any pros.

Cons:

- they are not registrar - only the reseller for Melbourne IT;
- you will receive no support;
- it's pain in ... you know where ... to transfer out of them. Now, when com/net will require EPP code (that will happen in 10 days from now) it will be almost impossible to transfer even them; because you will NOT get that code from Yahoo...
- they don't support child nameservers, so you will not be able to create ns1/2/3/etc.YOURDOMAIN.TLD.
- they don't support internal domain push.

Shorter - stay away from Yahoo. As far as you can.

Good luck!

Old

Hi thanks for the reply.

Can you please suggest some reasonable and reliable host?

Regards,

Riz

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizabbasi
Can you please suggest some reasonable and reliable host?
I am not sure we can suggest *hosts* here, you better try different forum: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1 . Please make sure you state your requirements very precisely when asking.

Even better, you can use a 'find a host' link at the top right corner of the site. See it?

Good luck!

Old
Web Hosting Master

Cons:
Yahoo auto-renews the domain 1 month before it expires by charging your credit card on file. You cannot initiate or re-schedule the payment.

Old

Stan,

Sorry I mean a good registrar.

Riz

Old
Junior Guru

eNom is what we use and we are very satisfied. You can find the full list of ICANN accredited registrar's here

Old
Web Hosting Master

NameCheap are good and recommended a lot here on WHT.

Old

Yahoo only provides the discount to new customers.

Use our keyword advisor to check your keyword competitive rate.

Old
Junior Guru

It is possible to transfer EPP domains away from Yahoo. I've done it. You have to call their tech support, and they will ask you to cancel your account. Once that's done they will provide you with a way to access the account through melboureit. Once that works, you submit a ticket to MelbourneIT and they will provide you with the EPP. Do the transfer and it will work.

The big trick (and the thing that trips everyone up) is the cancelling with Yahoo. It only cancels the business portion of the account, which is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY before you can transfer away. Once the cancellation is complete, the domain is still in your name, but you have to access it using the info given by Yahoo support, at MelbourneIT.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
I can't see any pros.

Cons:

- they are not registrar - only the reseller for Melbourne IT;
- you will receive no support;
- it's pain in ... you know where ... to transfer out of them. Now, when com/net will require EPP code (that will happen in 10 days from now) it will be almost impossible to transfer even them; because you will NOT get that code from Yahoo...
- they don't support child nameservers, so you will not be able to create ns1/2/3/etc.YOURDOMAIN.TLD.
- they don't support internal domain push.

Shorter - stay away from Yahoo. As far as you can.

Good luck!
That's useful information Stan. Thanks.

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

Old
Disabled

I'd definitely recommend you reliability of Enom

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIC
I'd definitely recommend you reliability of Enom
Has OP asked for recommendations?

Old
Disabled

I've been using Yahoo! domains for a while, i have about 10 domains with them. They are solid providers for name registration but it sure is a nightmare to do a domain transfer to a new owner, Physical affdavits are wrote out to each party by mail.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Yahoo Relaunches Small Business-Centered Ecommerce Platform Yahoo Stores Web Hosting News 2014-08-14 15:09:53
Yahoo Mail Usernames, Passwords Stolen in Third-Party Database Breach Web Hosting News 2014-01-31 12:27:37
Yahoo Will Encrypt All Data Moving Between its Data Centers Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 16:16:19
Yahoo Launches Week-Long Domainapalooza to Auction More than 100 Premium Domains Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 11:05:27
Yahoo Site Visits Surpass Google for First Time Since 2011: comScore Report Web Hosting News 2013-08-22 16:01:33