About to lease my server. Have a few questions.

I plan on leasing a server from They are fully managed servers. I would like to know if there is any managing I would have to do myself?

Do I just need to know how to use a WHM & CPANEL account.

I plan on creating a hosting company. What domain should the server I lease be underneath.

I plan on using WHM/CPANEL.

I will be hiring programmers to edit the website, but I don't want them to have access to all my hosting clients, when they work on my hosting site.

I would like to know what other web hosts do.

In the office
    Different companies have different meanings of "Fully managed" services. It all depends on who you go with. You should make a subdomain through the main domain for the servers primary hostname IE: ... hope this helps. Good luck

Hi there,

From what you have written, I can say only that you need serious management. I am currently working for a large webhost, as a system administrator and believe me there are a lot of things to think about, when it comes to system administration.

From website, I saw they offer the following management:

Kernel upgrades and recompilation
    System recovery from a crash
    Fix downed services such as Apache, Bind, MySQL, POP3, FTP
    Fix control panel related problems
    Upgrade PHP, MySQL, Apache
    APF firewall installation*
    BFD installation*
    Installation of Apache modules*
    Installation of Perl modules*
    Free transfer of accounts from Cpanel to Cpanel servers
    Hardening of tmp directories (/tmp, /var/tmp, /dev/shm)*
    General troubleshooting
    These are all good things to have, but they are quite not enough.

Let me start explaining why do I think so:

1. How often would the kernel be upgraded? What happens if the kernel upgrade fails. You will have tons of site down related client issues, which you will have to handle and explain.

2. System recovery from crash is a good thing to have. It is better not having your system to crash in the first place. That is why you need monitoring and monitoring scripts, which will prevent all of this to happen.

3. Fixing dead services should happen automatically Otherwise it might take hours to be seen/fixed. After all, this would be a shared hosting server and you CAN'T and SHOULDN'T rely on your clients to tell you whenever something is broken. If you do not have the monitoring though, your clients will be the first one to notice and not you, which will bring a pretty negative impact on your business.

4. The firewall and apache modules + perl modules installation would not be enough.

The firewall would need additional configuration/automation in order to serve your needs.
    Apache modules should be kept up to date.
    Perl modules should be kept up2date too.

The above is also true, when it comes to PHP/Pear modules, Python modules, PHP Version/MySQL version/etc. I didn't see those in the list.

5. Free transfer of accounts from Cpanel to Cpanel servers is a good thing to have, but it is done with a few clicks, so it is not much of a benefit.

What I don't see here is:

They do not offer custom MySQL configuration -- you don't want your MySQL to be slow or to create TMP tables on the hard drive, causing your server to stop responding right?

They do not offer custom Apache configuration -- you don't want your apache to stop accepting connections from new visitors, when the old connections are dead but still kept alive by apache?

They do not offer any email setup -- you will get TONS OF SPAM MESSAGES, your servers will get blacklisted at least several times a week. Also, the number of received spam messages is too large to be dealt with. They are either discarded or the server will fail.

When it comes to shared hosting, there are a lot of things to be done. Nothing is impossible though, you should just know what you have to do.
    Last edited by bear; 10-12-2006 at 09:12 AM.

Thinking of the

Package = AMD Sempron 2600 B (Super Super LOW COST)
    * AMD Sempron 2600
    * 1 GB RAM
    * 2 * 80GB Drive
    * 1200 GB BW
    * 10Mbit/s port
    *DirectAdmin for $10 ONLY ( Exclusive with this special )
    Free Setup + $65 /month
    Order Link:

Their management plan is here

Would this be a better decision then going w/ servstra

Well, they provide less things as management, from what I can see. One thing is for sure, if you do not know how to manage the server yourself, go with the Fully Managed plan.

The server itself will allow you to host 100-150 websites, depending on how much vistors do they have, how much diskspace you are giving away, etc.

Personally, I liked the first offer better, but the choice is yours.

I've got a few things to add..the last offer you posted is from a reseller. I have been following the Peer1/SelectVPS/OmegaVPS thread...and many, many lessons are to be learned from this. I don't recommend you to read the entire the outages section...start about page 22...someone was kind enough to summarize there...and that was where I started back following it.

First...I personally will never again rent/buy/lease/whatever a server from a are free to do what you want, of course. There are too many things that can go wrong...and you have to deal with the NOC through a third..sometimes even a fourth party...not a good thing...not a good thing at all.

Whatever you chose..make sure you understand exactly:

1) Who you are renting/leasing the server from
    2) The term of the contract
    3) SLA agreements
    4) replacement server parts/upgrades agreements

and anything else that might be in the mix.

I think not doing careful research on the front end...will save much (preventable)
    pain later. Here's a few things I do:

1) If they provide a phone it. Business? Or not? Many times it won't even work.

2) so-called 24/7/365 tech support? Test it. Go right now...and see if the claim is nothing more than a lie. I've seen people claim to have 24/7 chat..and not even be available during normal business hours..yes...we're talking good ole 9 to 5 EST.

3) Email them. See how fast they respond. Do they have a decent ticket system?
    knowledge base? I really love it (saves me time) when kayako lists "How do I cancel the account?" in the top five support searches. Next!
    Of course...this tellls you how many people sign up without reading that AUP/TOS, eh? Really bad move, folks.

4) Pull a domain record. I've found a certain reseller on this board that didn't even bother to even pretend "His dedicated server company" was a company at all...nope..personal domain record.

5) If it claims to be a can find out if it's real...just email the state's attorney general office. They will check for you...all real corporations..even the LLCs..must be filed with the state

6) Do a search on the BBB...see if they have a record. Many have to do some digging...they change names quite a's easy to connect the dots in many cases. Google is your friend. Google street numbers...

7) Many people are not aware that any US address can be verified. Go to and it's there..just a sec... could pretend you don't know the zip code:

You also could use the estimate postage verifys addresses as well.

There is something else on there to do address verification..I honestly don't have time to look for's there...address quality or something.

Sorry...I really had no plans on making this a scambuster post..but..oh well.

Good luck!

Last edited by bryonhost1; 10-13-2006 at 05:02 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer