Any users out there who have experience migrating a large XMB board over to VBulletin? I'd also love an WHT staff's perspectives on vBulletin as you guys have a humungous board.
This board has about 1500 users and 200,000 posts over 3 years. It has a very loyal user base. I've recently been given the honor of administering it but XMB is so frustrating and tedious.
A few questions:
1. Would I be able to migrate all forums over? Would I lose information in the process?
2. Would there be a way to migrate existing threads, leaving them open or would I just need to have the old board as a read only board that folks could link to.
3. What are the advantages of moving to VBulletin? Seems more feature rich.
a. Is there a performance advantage with VBulletin that allows it to support the same large user base with better performance and more efficient memory and CPU utilization?
b. Is it better supported?
4. Our current board requires Admin approval of all new member applications. Does VBulletin support this?
5. Are there any disadvantages to the move that I should consider?
I know there are a lot of questions but my frustration with XMB has prompted me to wonder if I ought to migrate, as painful as that might be. I'd like folks to sell me on the idea of migrating if it's worth it.
Rich WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site
VB is the best forum software out there period. I have tried just about every other board you can run and being in the hosting business for 10+ years it is the best to admin. VB has tools to migrate just about every software over to their's check their site. The VB engine is highly tuned also for shared environments and beyond so you should be fine.
You will have to look out for a tool that converts XMB board to Vbulliten so that you don't loose any data. Both the board has a different database structure and due to which the compatibility is difficult if you go for a manual transfer. So I would suggest you to for a tool that converts XMB board to Vbulliten.