Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Genuine hosting review site? Anywhere?

Is there a genuine web host review site anywhere online? It seems as though most of them are just advertising hosts that paid them or will pay them rather than providing genuine user reviews and rankings.
    -----------
    alisa

Well, they are all going to say they are genuine BUT most hosts pay for advert slots and so you end up seeing some of the most horrible co. listed as a top host. Its simply a bought position. Some of the directories do have reviews section though and I would recommend looking through them "anyway"
    You just have to use common sense when researching. You could check here and also run the name of the co. through google.com.
    Look for reviews on their own website, or community forums and definitely send pre-sales emails to any host before signing up.
    Good Luck (its over-whelming)
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

http://whreviews.com does have an unbiased list of honests host based on WHT reviews.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    http://whreviews.com does have an unbiased list of honests host based on WHT reviews.
    Yes, Dan's site is a good one and also lots of good info about the industry.
    Thanks Jedito.

This site is also full of affiliate links...one of them which happens to be yours!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    This site is also full of affiliate links...one of them which happens to be yours!
    That doesn't mean it's biased though!
    Affiliate links just happen to help pay the bills.

Just steer clear of the 'top 10' type sites that are commission junction affiliates only and you should do fairly fine.

Note: I still think WHT is the best source for reviews available anywhere!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Affiliate links just happen to help pay the bills.

Just steer clear of the 'top 10' type sites that are commission junction affiliates only and you should do fairly fine.

Note: I still think WHT is the best source for reviews available anywhere!
    I agree and disagree here, it doesn't matter whether its commission junction or a direct link...the main point here is that

#1 - He doesn't do any other host reviews, making this biased.
    #2 - Any host he reviews HAS to have an affiliate system.
    #3 - WHT is the best place for reviews.

Best is google.com

second best is http://findmyhosting.com/

The rest well lets just say they are all getting something from the recommendations on their sites.

So? that site is full of genuines hosting reviews got from WHT.
    That's what the OP asked.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I agree and disagree here, it doesn't matter whether its commission junction or a direct link...the main point here is that

Completely UNTRUE

BlueWho does not have an affiliate link
    HostNexus does not have an affiliate link
    Clook.net does not have an affiliate link
    Pair does not have an affiliate link
    HTTPme does not have an affiliate link

And the list goes on, only 3 or 4 of the hosts listed as honest does have affiliate links, which makes your theory crash to the ground.

Well for everyone that thinks that WHT is the best place for reviews...this place has the pitfalls like everything else!
    To the OP: Take reviews here with a grain of salt and read between the posts!!
    Many, many times you will notice someone signs up, does a fantastic review and it turns out to be the host himself or a close affiliation with said host, so you find "fake" reviews here too.

There is plenty more negative than positive here. This might be the best place though to check for any major complaints.

Read as much as you can, the more detailed the review the better, check wht forums, digital point forums, v7n forums, etc, the big forum groups for webmasters have tons of reviews.

also search on google for "blog hostcompany" or so on to find comments on blogs or forum hostcompany for forums...
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

How about here at WHT?

Look for multiple posts about the same host, each saying its good quality, then make your decision based on its popularity/rating given to it in the forum.

| | | |**The Top Web Hosts**

Cheap Hosts Quality Hosts Coupons Save $$$

Quote Originally Posted by David
    In all fairness, the site might not be bias towards the amount being paid, but Dan is picking the hosts to appear there and picking which reviews are shown under each host. There are many negative and positive reviews of some of those hosts listed that are not mentioned within the site.

You just can't really call a site unbiased when it is based on one person's decision of who deserves to be listed as an "Honest Host" and why. I've seen many hosts about here that have more positive threads (and a lot less negative) than some of the hosts listed there, but they are not listed.

PS: No offense intended Dan.

Dan's site is one of the few that are unbiased, in my opinion. Thre are quite a few company reviews on there that do not come accompanied with an affiliate link.

As for the afiliate link: something has to pay the bils. I see no difference on his site in how he handles affiliated companies and those that are not.

My personal opinion of his site did drop quite a bit when he just randomly removed a company I used to own based purely off of WHT speculation (in a single thread that had more competitors posting than customers), but Dan has chosen WHT as his point of reference so I can understand it somewhat, even if I don't agree with the knee-jerk reaction.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by startsphere
    How about here at WHT?

Look for multiple posts about the same host, each saying its good quality, then make your decision based on its popularity/rating given to it in the forum.
    WHT is good of course, but i find sometimes a lot of people demand way too much out of hosts here at WHT and have more realistic expectations at other forums not so hosting related...

WHT always seems to kill of the "not so good hosts" i would not say it was a genuine web host review site startsphere
    Jon Black

My personal opinion of his site did drop quite a bit when he just randomly removed a company I used to own based purely off of WHT speculation (in a single thread that had more competitors posting than customers), but Dan has chosen WHT as his point of reference so I can understand it somewhat, even if I don't agree with the knee-jerk reaction.
    I understand how my decision can be interpreted, but you see, one of the things I mention on my site is that I list only companies I would use. I had to be sincere with myself and my visitors. Quite importantly, for me, you Simon and your employees played a big part in me appreciating that brand. I don't care that much for the color/design of the t-shirts that team players use, I am mostly a fan of the people under the t-shirts.

There are many negative and positive reviews of some of those hosts listed that are not mentioned within the site.
    True. I don't make it a point of showing all the reviews available out there, as the whole site tries to teach people how to fish, not just give them some fish to eat so to speak. Sadly, the site's name isn't totally exactly descriptive of that. I always refer visitors to WHT and forums in general to look for the latest buzz on a host.

You just can't really call a site unbiased when it is based on one person's decision of who deserves to be listed as an "Honest Host" and why.
    Agreed. After all, in the most positive of scenarios, the site can only be as unbiased as a human being can be, and even then, am I the most unbiased person to have lived on the face of the earth? Definitely not, but I know I try to do my job evenhandedly.

PS: No offense intended Dan.
    None taken. You made great points.
    Well for everyone that thinks that WHT is the best place for reviews...this place has the pitfalls like everything else!
    To the OP: Take reviews here with a grain of salt and read between the posts!!
    Many, many times you will notice someone signs up, does a fantastic review and it turns out to be the host himself or a close affiliation with said host, so you find "fake" reviews here too.

There is plenty more negative than positive here. This might be the best place though to check for any major complaints.
    Well said Martie. It's clear forums are not perfect. Still, for me, WHT and any other forum that is diligently moderated is worth its weight in gold. Most suspicious reviews are either questioned by the members and/or investigated by the moderators, and even if the review remains online, its true value/weight is more easily apparent, even to the untrained eye.

Is there a genuine web host review site anywhere online?
    If you ask me, it doesn't really matter what one person/site says, it's important what real customers say. The more sincere, natural reviews (as in not asked for by the company) you can find on a host, the better. I explained above why (IMO) forums are among the best options out there.

All of these responses are great! Another unbiased, unpaid-for site would be http://www.hostdetective.net/

They are fair and balanced.

Best Regards,

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
    All of these responses are great! Another unbiased, unpaid-for site would be http://www.hostdetective.net/

They are fair and balanced.

Best Regards,

Shaun
    Those are all affiliate links too thought right?

Some of the hostdetective.net links are affiliate. At least (s)he's pulling reviews from actual customers so I give the site credit. Better than those giant piles of so-called "Top 10" sites I keep seeing here.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V
    Some of the hostdetective.net links are affiliate. At least (s)he's pulling reviews from actual customers so I give the site credit. Better than those giant piles of so-called "Top 10" sites I keep seeing here.
    From what I can see a large number of them are faked at hostdetective.
    The problem is a large # of posters are shills: If you look through the proxies and the connections that person has to the company though it's fairly easy to pick out the clean ones.

Review watching: Not a fun sport but they're more exciting than birds! Picking out the shills takes a lot of investigative work and watching the trends of posters throughout the net.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Ack, that didn't even cross my mind David. Back in the days of old (2002) I remember one host that is univerally panned here was doing that on a review site. He was even pretending to be from the country the proxy server was in! Then he started adding email aliases to his own customers' domains (probably without their knowledge) to add a better sense of legitimacy to his reviews. So if you were to email the "customer" about their reviews the emails were going right to him.

*sigh* So many weasels, so little time to bust them.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V
    Ack, that didn't even cross my mind David. Back in the days of old (2002) I remember one host that is univerally panned here was doing that on a review site. He was even pretending to be from the country the proxy server was in! Then he started adding email aliases to his own customers' domains (probably without their knowledge) to add a better sense of legitimacy to his reviews. So if you were to email the "customer" about their reviews the emails were going right to him.

*sigh* So many weasels, so little time to bust them.
    I'd hate to see their service afterwards of anyone who will go to such great lengths to defraud their own clients/potential clients.
    It may be a "saturated market" with little room for advancement (complete and utter bull) but there's never a good reason to lie.
    David

Well that kinda thing won't work too long cause if they service is bad and someone signs up they are going to post about it afterwards and prevent it from happening.

I wouldn't mind top 10 sites so much if they were based on the creators recommendation and what they thought was good for people rather then just who pays the most etc...

I had a few customers tell me that they left positive reviews on his web site, and when we went to go check, they were removed. If anyone knows the history, you'd call that "biased", not to mention that his company is one of the top-rated on that web site, with no bad reviews, hrm...
    Kaumil P.

Quote Originally Posted by VP-Kaumil
    I had a few customers tell me that they left positive reviews on his web site, and when we went to go check, they were removed. If anyone knows the history, you'd call that "biased", not to mention that his company is one of the top-rated on that web site, with no bad reviews, hrm...
    Kaumil,

Radic was referring to WHreviews.
    WHreviews does not allow users to post reviews so I'm not sure what you're on about!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by VP-Kaumil
    I'm not sure to which company are you making reference on this post, but if you are doing it about mine, We don't have a single negative review about our service in over 5 years here and WHreviews is based on WHT.
    So, unless you want that he invent something, you wont see a bad review.

FindMyHosting is definitely one of the best. whreviews is good, with some good reading but it still very subjective as I believe it's the views of just one person?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

But findmyhost does not sort based on reviews, you have to go look for the company to see its reviews correct!!!! hostdetective.net sounds to me like a better one if someone is looking for a host based on reviews!!! DO you agree
    Web Hosting Review - Real Reviews by Real People Submit your company and get a link to your site, Read Reviews GET YOUR Voice HEARD and REVIEW your HOST NOW!!! Check out our IT Blog Tips & Tricks

I'm not sure to which company are you making reference on this post
    Neither is he.
    David

Arrow

IMHO, the best genuine hosting review site is WHT because it is a "real time reviewer". Most reviews are posted by real hosts' customers. People can freely complain or post positive reviews.

Sound and sustained negative reviews let us have an idea of which hosts we should better not try.

Honest positive reviews must be managed with care and their validity deppends on the the time using a host. I have read many positive reviews about hosts that are now going downhill and that might be a matter of time.

Besides, every webmaster wants different things and what is right for you could be wrong for others.

I would suggest taking positive reviews as ads suggesting a host and negative reviews as warnings we should not completely dismiss.

Good luck!
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

David's looks decent and usable, not like others.

David's site looks great!
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    David's looks decent and usable, not like others.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeflyer
    David's site looks great!
    Thank you!
    David

I think all reviews are biased to some degree.
    WHT (or rather some of regular posters in WHT) is somewhat biased, IMO.

Most reviews should be taken as "general impression" only, I would say.
    unless the reviewer made lots of effort in monitoring and mesuring the server
    performances and availability, as well as other aspects of services.

Many users don't bother to monitor the server frequently enough.
    So, many downtimes can go undetected.

Also, monitoring services may not detect all downtime, as it runs at certain interval
    like 5 minutes and their own services can be down.

I think how happy we can be with a host depends on the "personality" of the host and ourselves, just like marriage or friendship.
    And the relationship can change, as well.

For example, I don't like "cPanel lovers" type of host, currently,
    and found a few examples of bad cPanel host, even here in WHT, too.
    (Not friendly, not courteous, not even polite in front of all potential clients reading WHT. Lying about overselling, their technical ability, etc.)
    But who knows? I may change my opinion if I encounter lots of good competitive cPanel hosts.
    Last edited by extras; 10-17-2006 at 03:22 PM.

YuP the best review is word of mouth...

I tried looking for sites at first and I think the best way is to just look for open forums with out businesses saturating the comments with their "opinions". Its a lot better when you're taking it from (un)satisfied customers.

Hmm,

I started my own website, compare to David website mine well what can I say super ugly

Anyway, I do put up affiliate links to pay the bills but most are non-affiliated. The problem with my site is its design and lack of reviewer, hehe, still working on that though

* Web Hosting Jury and Customer Reviews

Web Hosting Jury provides user reviews on several different hosting companies. This would be an excellent source to find any information that you are looking for on most hosting companies. They can be located at: http://www.webhostingjury.com/
    Jump ahead with the Froggy Perspective... An Honest Review of the best web hosting companies and web hosting services... jump over to: http://www.zfroggy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast