Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

breaking news - PLANE crash into a building in manhattan

details are sketchy

WNBC TV: Aircraft crashes into high-rise in New York City

saw it on msnbc tv
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

BREAKING NEWS! Small plane crashed into Mahhatten skyscraper!

Small plane crashed into Mahhatten skyscraper!

Just watching on the news now. Looks fairly high up on the building. Lots of fire and wreckage on the floor.
    Steve

CNN is saying a helicopter into an apartment building on East 71st Street

Michael Chase
    Clear-Data Internet Services - Inexpensive website, reseller, and game server hosting.

Just turned on CNN and saw it. Was this a private or commercial plane?

10/11/2006
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Mituozo
    10/11/2006
    Holy crap I just realized that too.

Quote Originally Posted by WHTer
    Just turned on CNN and saw it. Was this a private or commercial plane?
    No info yet. Still not confirmed if it was a plane of helicopter either.

Looks like an accident to me rather than terrorism, mainly because of the size and target. I just hope there was no one home when the crash happened.
    Steve

FAA are saying it was a plane, same as eye witnesses now too.
    Steve

"The FBI has told the BBC that there is no indication that the crash is terrorism-related."

It is still a big coincidence how it's the 11th day of the month.

Two bodies have been found on the ground next to the building.
    Michael Chase
    Clear-Data Internet Services - Inexpensive website, reseller, and game server hosting.

10/11/2006 has nothing to do with it. I doubt that we'll be seeing planes crashing in NY every 61 months. The terrorists don't have a pattern to their madness, they are just out of their minds.

CNN:

NORAD is putting some fighter planes in numerous US cities to patrol the air traffic for now.

Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    10/11/2006 has nothing to do with it. I doubt that we'll be seeing planes crashing in NY every 61 months. The terrorists don't have a pattern to their madness, they are just out of their minds.
    Madrid bombing, London bombing, and WTC all happened on 11th day in a month. I wasn't considering only 9/11.

Its not believed to be a terrorist related attack according to the BBC.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I think it's either an accident or someone was peeved at their girlfriend.

Madrid bombing, London bombing, and WTC all happened on 11th day in a month
    The London bombing was the 7th July (7/7)
    Steve

Oh, then there goes my theory and speculation. Now it makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cd-mchase
    Two bodies have been found on the ground next to the building.
    I hope everyone else got out ok and are alright.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bakie
    I hope everyone else got out ok and are alright.
    Me too.

And this is for the conspiracy theory nuts:

One of my friends just told me to write 10-11-6 on a piece of paper and then flip it upside down. Weird what happens.
    Michael Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Mituozo
    10/11/6
    turn it upside down
    --woops/edit--
    cd-mchase beat me to it.
    Dave

Yea that's some more weird coincidence.

The number of coincidences such as turning it upside down are hilarious. Though, I guess we'd be figuring out coincidences even if it was on 6/22. i.e. "OK guys 6/22 is 9 months and 11 days after 9/11"

4 dead now according to Sky news. 2 in building and 2 In plane so far confirmed dead.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

CNN is saying that the plane is a Cirrus 20.
    A single engine 4 seat low wing - that has a parachute in the tail in case of emergencies.

http://www.cirrusdesign.com/

The plane is registered to New York Yankee's pitcher Cory Lidle.

they are now confirming he died in the crash

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=5806

Yankees August 18: Placed pitcher Cory Lidle on the bereavement list; (ouch)
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

I was just going to post this but seen this, thank you Luaren.

To update everyone on thisp
    BREAKING NEWS
    NBC News and news services
    Updated: 13 minutes ago
    NEW YORK - A small plane crashed into a high-rise condominium Wednesday on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, touching off a raging fire and stirring fears reminiscent of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Local affiliate WNBC reported four bodies had been found.

Federal officials said there was no evidence that the crash was a terrorist attack. The fire was extinguished within an hour.

There was no word on injuries. The blaze was extinguished in less than hour.

Williams reported that, according to New York investigators, the aircraft was flying at 800 feet when it made a radical turn and crashed.

WNBC reported two bodies found on the ground, one of which was strapped to an aircraft chair. Two bodies were also found in an apartment in the building, the TV station said.

There was no immediate word on whether residents were home at the time of the crash. Both the Federal Aviation Administration and the FBI said there was no reason to believe the incident was terrorism-related.

“The initial indication is that there is a terrible accident,” said Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke.

But a military official at NORAD said that as an extra measure of security, there were “numerous fighter jet patrols” over several U.S. cities.

The crash at the Belaire Apartments, which overlooks the East River, caused onlookers to be “concerned but not panicking,” according to Manhattan resident Cathy Remmert, who lives about 10 blocks from the scene.

Sirens echoed across the neighborhood as emergency workers and ambulances rushed in with stretchers. Broken glass and debris were strewn around the neighborhood.

"There’s a sense of helplessness," said Sandy Teller, watching from his apartment a block away. "Cots and gurneys, waiting. It’s a mess."

The aircraft struck the 20th floor of the building on East 72nd Street, said Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi. Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise. Flames were seen shooting out of the windows. Burning debris fell on the streets below as firefighters shot water streams of water at the flames from lower floors.

Video from the scene showed at least three floors in the high-rise engulfed in flames. A column of gray smoke rose over the city, and raging flames could be seen in four windows on two upper floors.

SOURCE: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15223650/?GT1=8618
    You can look it up further if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    The plane is registered to New York Yankee's pitcher Cory Lidle.
    I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan and despise the Yankees but this is horrible. R.I.P.
    Michael Chase

I'm watching espn, and they're talking corey lidle dying in the crash.

Suicide attempt, perhaps?

Although this particular aircraft does have a parachute, there have still been people who have died in crashing in this type of aircraft because instead of pulling the parachute (which totals the plane btw) they try to recover the plane and land it safely......
    -steve

Quote Originally Posted by Frimon86
    I was just going to post this but seen this, thank you Luaren.

To update everyone on thisp
    BREAKING NEWS
    ......... and stirring fears reminiscent of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
    I think the press is trying to stir those fears. I work in Manhattan, and did not witness fear. Traffic on the way home was a mess though. My desk is in the news room, so I did get to watch multiple stations coverage while working. The firefighters did a great job, that is for sure.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

wikipedia lightning fast on updating article on lidle said that he's dead in the accident
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_lidle
    ■ Need an eNom retail/reseller account? PM me

Damn, the headline scared me Im glad its not that bad, shame about the deaths though
    Walker

Quote Originally Posted by gasxtreme
    Although this particular aircraft does have a parachute, there have still been people who have died in crashing in this type of aircraft because instead of pulling the parachute (which totals the plane btw) they try to recover the plane and land it safely......
    -steve
    I think in this case his low hours (inexperience) is the major factor, when things start to go wrong experience can make all the difference in the world.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    I'm watching espn, and they're talking corey lidle dying in the crash.

Suicide attempt, perhaps?
    The most recent news suggests that the plane crashed due to loss of fuel. There was apparently a mayday call from the aircraft before the crash.

However, the plane was flying in restricted air-space, and the details are still very fuzzy at this time. One news channel is saying 4 dead, only Lidle was on the plane - another is reporting 2 dead, Lidle and his flight instructor (who may have been onboard), etc.

There are also reports of multiple injured civilians and at least 11 injured firefighters. Regardless of what happened (accident, suicide, etc.), I feel terrible for Cory Lidle’s wife and son (and all others injured in the crash).

The only good news is that NYC’s post-9/11 procedures for dealing with planes crashing into skyscrapers seemed to have been very effective. They were able to evacuate the building VERY quickly (significantly reducing the number of injuries and potential deaths), and also managed to put out a large fire 30+ floors up exceedingly efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    I think in this case his low hours (inexperience) is the major factor, when things start to go wrong experience can make all the difference in the world.
    This only applies if Lidle was flying the plane by himself. Most reports now are “confirming” that his instructor was onboard with him. There is a possibility that deploying the parachute in an area densely populated with tall buildings, cars, etc. could have been the “wrong” move in that given situation, and trying to glide in/land somewhere was the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    Absolutely, I couldn't agree more..... Cirrus are VERY popular aircraft for new pilots who have plenty of $.....

I'm guessing that he was in his descent, was in some weather (which would have been illegal since he wasn't instrument rated) and got disoriented..... I'm honestly suprised that he was able to get to the city like that, airspace around NYC must be insane.... I wonder what freq he was on at the time, and what his destination was...

I'll definately be following this story as the details unfold.
    -steve

EDIT: Just looked at the story on CNN, read this:

Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor were killed Wednesday when Lidle's plane crashed into a high-rise apartment building in New York, city and baseball team officials said.
    Source: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html

Thats very, very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by gasxtreme
    I'm guessing that he was in his descent, was in some weather (which would have been illegal since he wasn't instrument rated) and got disoriented..... I'm honestly suprised that he was able to get to the city like that, airspace around NYC must be insane.... I wonder what freq he was on at the time, and what his destination was...
    I haven't heard anything yet about his flight plan, but I assume he was planning to return to Teterburo. It sounds like they were doing some sight seeing, he is reported to have circled the statue of liberty and then continued up river. Near the 59th street bridge he ran into some kind of trouble (fuel or engine) and descended below radar. He apparently sent out a mayday, what is still unknown is why he turned down 72nd instead of staying over the river, or why if he was unable to make it to a runway didn't he deploy the planes parachute before he descended too low to use it.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Not again..

G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast