Coldfusion Host Advice Please

I'm looking for a new coldfusion host. to host a few sites. My current host has become very unreliable lately. It would be nice if I could go a week without them breaking my application. I'd like a host that either specializes in coldfusion hosting or at least has qualified administrators that know what they are doing - as we all know that its an art.

I use about 6 gigs of monthly bw and 600 mbs of space.

It isn't mandatory, but it would be nice if the servers are located outside the USA since one of my sites is a bingo related portal.

I just want a stable relatively quick server with the following features
    coldfusion obviously
    php is a bonus - but not 100% neccesary - I'm thinking of converting my forum to CF
    tags : cffile, cferror, cfhttp, cfmail
    solid mysql
    subdomains
    multiple domains should support at least 10
    client variables should be database driven - not registry

I'm currently hosting it on a $10 /month host - which was reasonably reliable for years but has recently become horrible. My site has over 4000 members and gets a fair amount of traffic so I can't afford too much downtime.

I'm not adverse to paying up to $100 / month if the quality, speed and flexability are reflected in the price - but I'm also not adverse to putting it on another $10 / month account if it does the job and is reliable. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

Here is my current short list :
    www.blacksun.ca Canadian based - talks a good game but i found some questionable reviews - centOS operating system
    www.layeredtech.com/servers.shtml ( though I'm not to excited about adding server administration to my workload and this will probably cost me $150 / month or more - anyone want to share one? )
    www.crystaltech.com - tonnes of reccomendations and has some useful graphic components pre-installed
    www.viux.com - some good recommendations - great features
    www.fusionlink.com - sounds good but doesnt give alot of details about the hosting

Here are some on my extended list
    www.yetihost.com/ UK Based
    www.hostmysite.com
    xhostsolutions.com
    www.cartikahosting.com/ canadian

Here are some I wont consider
    interland
    hostdepartment
    godaddy

Would love to hear any feedback - thanks.

Make sure that you check the TOS of each host in order not to violate their rules before you host with them. It might also be a good idea that you send them an e-mail to let them know about your bingo site to see what their reaction is.

It's a free bingo site - I've never had a problem including advertising and link exchanges.
    secrets post secrets and offer advice

Quote Originally Posted by bingo
    It's a free bingo site - I've never had a problem including advertising and link exchanges.
    I don't see an issue then. You might have a look at JodoHost. They are reliable and offer Cold Fusion.

I've been looking at reviews and forum posts - so far jodohost looks pretty good thanks.

I've been looking at reviews and forum posts - so far jodohost looks pretty good thanks.
    I think they owe me for all the customers I have recommended to them!

Yash? Stephen?

jodohost

I'm giving them a try - the thing that sold me was the free trial account - so I can setup my application and run some tests before I transfer it.

I'm giving them a try - the thing that sold me was the free trial account - so I can setup my application and run some tests before I transfer it.
    I don't think you will be disappointed. Come back in a couple of months and let us know how its going.

Dave

Coldfusion Host Revisited

Well I've been trying Jodohost and I don't think they are the way to go for coldfusion hosting. The mysql server that I was assigned is very slow and misses alot. Coldfusion is not very tolerant of odbc misses and I have had to build alot of fault tolerance into my code. Mine is an application that ran pretty solid on a crappy host department shared account for about 3 years, but on the Jodohost account there is frequent server resets (in the order of 1 ever 5-15 minutes.) I think 4 or 5 resets a day is tolerable, but every 10 minutes or so is way to frequent. When they have problems they tend to blame your code, which has been reported by other reviewers. They also simply rename your coldfusion file, so that your site reports a 404 page not found without warning you first. Not good.

I tried crystalTech last weekend but was putoff by how they handle extra domains. They set it up as a domain alias and you are required to redirect using CFLOCATION. This is way too sloppy for me. Besides that issue (this is a major issue in my mind) I found their server extremely responsive and solid, so I was dissapointed to have to cancel my account over the domain issue.

So now I'm back in the market... I'm strongly considering fusionlink at the moment.

Hello Bingo. As far as frequent resets on the ColdFusion server go, I am very surprised. 10 minute resets are impossible, and would make the server unusable I'm sure there is something else going on that is causing your specific website/app pool to reset. I am not aware of any server-wide coldfusion issues. If you could PM me your ticket IDs, i could look into it

We only re-name a coldfusion file when it has been causing problems on the server. As for the MySQL issues, once again I'm surprised. I am sure this is more of an isolated issue for your setup, which I'd be happy to help you resolve. we have no reports of slow MySQL servers, and all our database servers are performing very well
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner