Thread: Hostgator

Hostgator

Being new and all, I'm hesitant bout jumping into a host just yet. I've online chatted with hostgator and I REALLY like that ability. They were prompt and there online 24/7.
    What do all you guys think bout them?
    Good/bad/indifferent?

I'd jump on except you have to pay for a year in advance with the hatchling plan. 3.5 gb, Fantastico to help, online chat, 50 gb bandwidth.
    I mainly, at this point, need help setting up the page when I decide on a host. It "APPEARS" they are good in that are.
    Thanks for the feedback.

You can search for feedback
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

There's plenty of reviews on hostgator that should help you decide

I think they offer a 30day Money back Policy.

I would steer clear of paying a year at a time. If something ever did go wrong you would be stuck there for the entire year.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

I would steer clear of paying a year at a time. If something ever did go wrong you would be stuck there for the entire year.
    That is true, but, as WN-Ali recommended, perform a search on the forum hostingntn and you will find plenty of information about Hostgator that will (or should) put your thoughts in order and push you one way or another. Hostgator is among the popular hosts and they tend to be on top of things when/if something happens.

Best of luck! I hope you will make a decision that you will be happy with.

They're ok. Better than Page-Zone. If you're using FrontPage extensions, I would think twice, though.

- Tim

I mainly, at this point, need help setting up the page when I decide on a host.
    I don't know exactly what type of help you expect, but a host is not to be confused with a web designer. They should give you instructions on how to upload content etc.

If something ever did go wrong you would be stuck there for the entire year.
    Well, that's only if you get yourself in the position to be "stuck". Paying in advance is OK as long as you can afford to lose those money/pay for another hosting account with another host should thing go the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by hostingntn
    Being new and all, I'm hesitant bout jumping into a host just yet. I've online chatted with hostgator and I REALLY like that ability. They were prompt and there online 24/7.
    What do all you guys think bout them?
    Good/bad/indifferent?

I'd jump on except you have to pay for a year in advance with the hatchling plan. 3.5 gb, Fantastico to help, online chat, 50 gb bandwidth.
    I mainly, at this point, need help setting up the page when I decide on a host. It "APPEARS" they are good in that are.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    good

a advice is go for baby plan or above. hatchling is 99.5% uptime only. pls note

hatchling is 99.5% uptime only. pls note
    That's just the monetary guarantee. Since that's their "budget" package, they have to offer some type of incentives to upgrade.

It doesn't mean uptime will be worse than on their other shared hosting packages, it mainly means that you won't be getting a full refund unless they have more than 0.5% downtime.

Look at reviews from multiple sites also about them. And check out other topics about them

They do provide the site builder Site Studio, but only on Baby plans and up. Site Studio is really easy to use.

Email?

How is the email service that Hostgator provides? My company is looking for a new web host, mainly because our email service with Host Department has been horrible. Has anyone had problems with email thru Hostgator??

before i made my own webhosting company, I had hostgator and I had a few problems. One of them was email. Others were dl speeds for files, startup, and server was down at periods, which I found unacceptable.

I found these issues there:

1. No SSH
    2. FP extensions are not fully supported
    3. Bad support (in my case)
    4. Slow uploads
    5. Dedicated IPs are optional

One positive thing is they read this forum and reply complains.

Regards,
    Last edited by freeflyer; 10-18-2006 at 06:55 PM.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

There are a lot of mixed reviews, it really depends on what you are looking for. When I was there (February) it was alright for me. They have had some recent problems, one large one with
    cPanel
    . They seem to have fast support, they charge to restore back-ups however.
    It is really up to you if you want try them out, they may be alright for what you are doing.

I like them for the web hosting side of things but my email never works right. I am looking for a new host because of their poor email service. My emails are constantly getting lost and I am losing clients for it.

They have a lot of reviews on WHT. You should do more research on them.

Hi,

Do you have a ticket number with us reguarding emails getting lost? It probably has to do with some extra spam filtering on your account I can get removed within seconds. Let me know. thanks!

A lot of people like HG, a lot don't. They seem to receive mixed reviews however my personal experience with HG in the past was fine and had no problems with them. I certainly would recommend them to you but each to their own.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

paying for a year in advance is really a bad thing. especially with a hosting company your new to. If you pay monthly, and things are going wrong, you can always jump ship.

Take your time in choosing a host, it pays off in the end. A lot of hosting companies will help you out uploading, whether they can help you create a front page is a different matter. I persnally would help someone out like that, but thats just me!
    If there is a website builder package with the hosting account, you could use that, most are very easy and straightforward.

I am quite happy with hostgator, actually. They have a decent support. Although it took time, all issues are addressed. Online and phone support is not much helpful tough. Most of the time I got an answer like "post a ticket".

Quote Originally Posted by crislem
    That is true, but, as WN-Ali recommended, perform a search on the forum hostingntn and you will find plenty of information about Hostgator that will (or should) put your thoughts in order and push you one way or another. Hostgator is among the popular hosts and they tend to be on top of things when/if something happens.

Best of luck! I hope you will make a decision that you will be happy with.
    While I do agree HostGator is a well known and stable company; take whatever 'crislem' says with a big grain of salt as he is actively advertising his web site that.. *gasp* is affiliate for HostGator.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by tolgaorhon
    ...[Hostgator has] decent support. Although it took time, all issues are addressed. ..
    That's my experience also. It took them an entire weekend to resolve one of the problems that I ran into when I moved my domains there, but since then it's been smooth sailing and their servers seem to be more highly performant that my prior host's (pagezone).

- Tim