Moving from one server to another (both with cpanel) - DNS, etc

I have several sites running on a server, which is working OK (apart from being slow).

I have now upgraded to a better server, but trying to work out the best way to move the sites over.

The domains are pointing to NS1.MYNAME.COM and NS2.MYNAME.COM which are on the original server.

During the cpanel setup, I set the name servers on the new machine to be DNS1.MYNAME.COM and DNS2.MYNAME.COM. However, 'MYNAME.COM' is hosted on the first (old) machine.

Anyone know the best way to do what I am trying to do ??

Thanks in advance for any help,

Daniel

I'm currently in this situation as well, i'd apreciate any advice/links on the best way to go about moveing everything to another server.

Did you modify the nameservers to reflect the new ips addresses (on the new serveR) yet as well?

If you are setting up new nameservers, then you will need to update each domain name to reflect the new nameservers. What you could do is keep the old nameservers, update the ip in the registrar...this way you won't need to change every domain's nameserver information.

Then you can use the cpanel transfer function to move over all of your accounts.

This is a very brief summary of what to do. People can add to this or suggest better ways of doing what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by thenynoc
    Did you modify the nameservers to reflect the new ips addresses (on the new serveR) yet as well?

If you are setting up new nameservers, then you will need to update each domain name to reflect the new nameservers. What you could do is keep the old nameservers, update the ip in the registrar...this way you won't need to change every domain's nameserver information.

Then you can use the cpanel transfer function to move over all of your accounts.

This is a very brief summary of what to do. People can add to this or suggest better ways of doing what you need.
    I haven't done anything yet.

All I have done is got the new server (which has new IP addresses). In the cpanel software I gave the server the name server2.mydomain.com and in the nameserver fields I entered dns1.mydomain.com and dns2.mydomain.com (ones used before were ns1 and ns2 - with the old ip addresses).

Obviously it won't work yet, as mydomain.com is on the old server.

Is this the way to do it though? - I was hoping for little or no downtime.

Thanks
    Daniel