DNS Propagation -- Pulling hair out

I moved a client 24+ hours ago to a new server (from Verio to iWeb). The new server had been setup for a month and the domain name was added to the new server's DNS back then too. So, all I had to do yesterday was change the DNS server setup with the registrar (which is also Verio).

After 24+ hours I'm having trouble getting consistantly to the domain on the new server. I have the same websites set up at both servers but have a hidden item on the page that tells me what server I'm on.

If I enter www.thedomain.com I always get the old server. If I enter thedomainname.com without "www" I always get the new server.

About half of the people at the company that I'm dealing with get the old server and about half get the new server when they go to www.thedomain.com.

About 15% of the users can enter webmail.thedomain.com and get the new server and the other 85% get the old server.

What can I do to help this process along? Just wait? and wait? and wait some more???

Thanks
    Paul

Can you let us know the domain name? Forum members would be able to help you much quicker that way.

your pc has cached data.

command prompt: ipconfig/flushdns

that will empty it. close all your browsers and anything that uses the browser, start again and it should work.

if not, it's cached at your ISP and you have to wait until the TTL expires.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by Commit1 Anthony
    Can you let us know the domain name? Forum members would be able to help you much quicker that way.
    Oh, sure... it's www.andersenrealty.com

And the "hidden" way to tell isn't very hidden. There's the word "Verio" on the bottom left hand corner of the index page on the old server and the words "new server" on the new server.

Thanks

When I go to the link you posted I see: new server. At the bottom left hand corner. You or ISP is caching this, you just have to wait.

I see new server as well. I'm in Miami, FL and on Comcast

Thanks all. I did the ipconfig and that worked for the www.andersenrealty.com but webmail.andersenrealty.com went right back to the old Verio server.

It is possible my ISP is caching this. I hadn't thought of that, but it's a real possibility.

Thanks so much.
    Paul

Well, that domain is now pointing to 64.15.138.219, is that the IP you want it to be on?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Check dnsstuff.com and use the ISP caching tool (it'll check which ISPs are caching it and which resolve correctly).

Your ISP will cache whatever it sees the last time it tried to lookup your IP, for the period specified by your DNS server's minimum TTL (time to live). For example, if your ISP's caching DNS server queried your old authorative DNS server and your server said the TTL is 86400 seconds, your ISP should cache the record for at least one day (86400 seconds). Note that some ISPs disobey TTL (like Comcast) and cache some things for 3 to 7 days.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

You just have to wait like 1 week. A nice thing to do is stick use a htaccess and redirect all your http requests to the new server for the time being.

Thanks everyone, it's still going back and forth between the new and old server. After running the config/flushdns it worked for a while, but now it's back to showing the old server on my computer.

I realize that it's different for different computers, but my client is in Wyoming and so, its frustrating that he has different responses from his employee's computers.

Thanks
    Paul

Part of the solution might be to jump on the old server and point all forward DNS and MX at the new server. But again, it still goes back to the "gotcha factor" of TTL.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.