I moved a client 24+ hours ago to a new server (from Verio to iWeb). The new server had been setup for a month and the domain name was added to the new server's DNS back then too. So, all I had to do yesterday was change the DNS server setup with the registrar (which is also Verio).
After 24+ hours I'm having trouble getting consistantly to the domain on the new server. I have the same websites set up at both servers but have a hidden item on the page that tells me what server I'm on.
If I enter www.thedomain.com I always get the old server. If I enter thedomainname.com without "www" I always get the new server.
About half of the people at the company that I'm dealing with get the old server and about half get the new server when they go to www.thedomain.com.
About 15% of the users can enter webmail.thedomain.com and get the new server and the other 85% get the old server.
What can I do to help this process along? Just wait? and wait? and wait some more???
Your ISP will cache whatever it sees the last time it tried to lookup your IP, for the period specified by your DNS server's minimum TTL (time to live). For example, if your ISP's caching DNS server queried your old authorative DNS server and your server said the TTL is 86400 seconds, your ISP should cache the record for at least one day (86400 seconds). Note that some ISPs disobey TTL (like Comcast) and cache some things for 3 to 7 days.
Now selling BigVPS's! Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.