Time for a change...

I've spent the past hour or more reading a lot of information here and I appreciate the knowledgebase. That said, I'll jump in line with my first request for a Purehost replacement option. I'll tell you what I know and what I need as best I can for a non-technical type.

I was a Dellhost then AppSite customer that was migrated to Purehost. I currently pay $21.95 for a Windows platform of 2GB storage/50GB bandwidth/200 mailbox with MS-Frontpage support.

My average stats run 2,393,982KB transfer/mth with about 6000 visits. I have a whopping 258MB of data and run .73GB xfer a month. I think I have way too much capacity and probably pay for it too.

What I want is the following replacement suggestions for inexpensive reliable hosting to handle:

MS-FrontPage capability
    Form-Mail capability
    A dozen or so email accounts
    Ability to run a UNIX platform so I can do a php bulletin board (MySQL?)
    Ability to upgrade so I can run a vehicle VIN database php application
    Ability to upgrade so I can run a classifieds database php application
    A control panel of some type to manage the account

I recognize everyone has an opinion, but the last thing I want is a bad relationship with my hosting company. My site content is primarily informational based content with a fair amount of pictures and text based pages if that helps.

Thanks, and I look forward to the replies.

~m

Quote Originally Posted by M38A1
    MS-FrontPage capability
    Form-Mail capability
    A dozen or so email accounts
    Ability to run a UNIX platform so I can do a php bulletin board (MySQL?)
    Ability to upgrade so I can run a vehicle VIN database php application
    Ability to upgrade so I can run a classifieds database php application
    A control panel of some type to manage the account
    Hello,

You should easily be able to find a host that meets your requirements for about half of what you're paying now. The few things I would recommend would be to e-mail any host you're considering and find out how responsive and knowledgable their support team is, along with uptime statistics.

As for the UNIX requirement, you don't need UNIX/LINUX to have full php & mySQL support or to install a bulletin board. Windows fully supports php as well. Also, most hosts today have a control panel.

I wish you much luck with your site!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    As for the UNIX requirement, you don't need UNIX/LINUX to have full php & mySQL support or to install a bulletin board. Windows fully supports php as well. Also, most hosts today have a control panel.
    In your opinion, are they trying to upgrade me, or what would be their reason for saying a Windows environment will not support the product? There is no additional charge to have the Unix account with them so I wonder why they would say it.

Could it be they as a host simply don't provide that level of service, ie: a MySQL database on a Windows platform?

Curious...

Unix hosting is generally cheaper. You should be able to host a site like that under $5 with everything you asked for. Most of what you asked for comes standard with the most popular control panel, cPanel.

Frontpage extensions can be enabled for any cPanel account should you ask for it and there should be no charge for this, most hosts will een give it to you without asking.

I suggest trying the offers section as there are many hosts there which will provide this or something very similar well under your budget.

If your looking for a host, try the host quote on the top right.
    PWRHost.com - Empower your site today!
    Award Winning Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by M38A1
    In your opinion, are they trying to upgrade me, or what would be their reason for saying a Windows environment will not support the product? There is no additional charge to have the Unix account with them so I wonder why they would say it.

Could it be they as a host simply don't provide that level of service, ie: a MySQL database on a Windows platform?

Curious...
    This is probably the reason.