*First Web Site* Need Some Opinions

Hi, my name is Jeff and this is my first post. I've done some research beforehand and now I have a few questions specific to my needs.

I am looking to start a site that that supports my hobby(guitar). Initially, I want to get my feet wet by starting a site for my own personal use. Eventually, I would like to promote the site and add a forum, photo gallery, links, possible web store.

1. What type of host will I need?
    2. What are some good recommendations for my purpose? (I was leaning towards Futurequest based on reviews, but I'm not sure if thats the type of host for my purpose)
    3. Once the site is set up, how do I start designing it?

Cost isn't much of a factor as long as the service is good and they are reasonable. I would like to stay with the same host as my site grows. I would like multiple options or at least the most popular options available as far as site design is concerned. I don't necessarily need plug & play, but keep in mind that I am a creative beginner. The site will have to support photos, graphics, sound and possibly video.

Here is an example of a site I would somewhat model the forum after, however, unlike this site I plan on having more than just a forum.

I hope my questions made sense. Please ask for more info if I was not clear.

Thanks again!
    Jeff

Welcome to WHT Jeff!
    The problem is a little more complicated, there are a lot of things to say.
    First, we can't see the url you are talking about because you don't have the numbers of posts required so you can post an URL.
    You will need a basic host ...atleast in the start, let's say up to 500 megs (but you will not get to use this much in the first monts) of space and 10GB of traffic.
    You can use a free html editor (like nvu) to build your site or you can go to oswd.org and look for some free templates you will have to modify (with NVU or other editors) to suite your needs.
    Then you can upload your pages on the hosting server (usually done via FTP with a FTP client)

You can read more about the hosting industry on this page: whreviews.com
    Got Fused?

Thanks for the direction. I will check out that site when I get home. There was nothing special about that site, just your typical forum.

Off the top of your head, would you recommend Futurequest?

Quote Originally Posted by Siropel
    Welcome to WHT Jeff!
    The problem is a little more complicated, there are a lot of things to say.
    First, we can't see the url you are talking about because you don't have the numbers of posts required so you can post an URL.
    You will need a basic host ...atleast in the start, let's say up to 500 megs (but you will not get to use this much in the first monts) of space and 10GB of traffic.
    You can use a free html editor (like nvu) to build your site or you can go to oswd.org and look for some free templates you will have to modify (with NVU or other editors) to suite your needs.
    Then you can upload your pages on the hosting server (usually done via FTP with a FTP client)

You can read more about the hosting industry on this page: whreviews.com
    I will agree here, although you may want a bit more space and bandwidth so you can grow.

As for dynamic pages such as forums you will need a host that has PHP & mySQL or ASP & MS SQL. A host will good support will help you get everything setup. Expect to pay around $7+ per month for this.

Good luck with your site!

Any host that offers php and mysql can host a free forum software like SMF and phpBB.
    I haven't had any experience with Futurequest so I can't recommend them or anything. What can I say is that they seem a well established company (domain registered in `98), people here say good things about them and the plans don't look oversold. I would think they are ok but they don't fit MY hosting needs.
    Wait a while, maybe someone that's hosted with them can tell you more about them.
    Got Fused?

Hi Jeff, welcome to the Forums! As the others have said, most hosts will be able to help you. You'd probably start off with a basic plan, most times it's easy for you to upgrade to a larger plan once your site gets bigger and more traffic. Choose a few hosts you think you like and send off a few questions to them before you decide. That will give you a better idea on which hosts respond within a reasonable amount of time and how much they would be willing to help you out. Best of luck!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Quote Originally Posted by lgehrig4
    Hi, my name is Jeff and this is my first post. I've done some research beforehand and now I have a few questions specific to my needs.

I am looking to start a site that that supports my hobby(guitar). Initially, I want to get my feet wet by starting a site for my own personal use. Eventually, I would like to promote the site and add a forum, photo gallery, links, possible web store.

2. What are some good recommendations for my purpose? (I was leaning towards Futurequest based on reviews, but I'm not sure if thats the type of host for my purpose)

Cost isn't much of a factor as long as the service is good and they are reasonable. I would like to stay with the same host as my site grows. I would like multiple options or at least the most popular options available as far as site design is concerned. I don't necessarily need plug & play, but keep in mind that I am a creative beginner. The site will have to support photos, graphics, sound and possibly video.

Here is an example of a site I would somewhat model the forum after, however, unlike this site I plan on having more than just a forum.

I hope my questions made sense. Please ask for more info if I was not clear.

Thanks again!
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff, I'm new here too. I started off in the same boat.. Small but eventually grew. First I was just a forum, then I added a blog and now have my own webstore. The ecommerce solution I use is X-cart which has a fantastic user support community. I was pointed into that direction by my web host: Utropicmedia.

They have very excellent support in regards to helping me meet my needs; whether it has been installing an SSL cert, restoring files from a backup, or giving me advice on marketing.

I dont think I can provide a link but they are at utropicmedia.net

Thanks again!
    Jeff
    HI Jeff,
    Its refreshing to see that you are doing some research
    Futurequest has an excellent reputation, and has maintained that for years now as far as I know.
    You could go with many free templates available for download OR select a host that offers a site builder with their plans. Im not sure if futurequest offers that feature but it would be a good question to inquire about.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

A simple shared hosting account would be perfect for you
    What is your budget and disk space, bandwidth requirements?
    You can look for a web host that offers a free site builder which will allow you to design your web site step by step.

Great stuff! I can surf the web and shop with the best of them, but up until recently I had never given thought to how it's all put together. Hell, I didn't even know the service GoDaddy provided, only that they have a hot chick in their commercials.

This really helps!

Thanks
    Jeff

what is all this talk about web editors. am i the only person still using notepad.

anyways hostdime is good. they have a site builder and fantasico. almost everything is automated. i strongly recommand you do every manuely. you can't imagine what you will learn.

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    what is all this talk about web editors. am i the only person still using notepad.

anyways hostdime is good. they have a site builder and fantasico. almost everything is automated. i strongly recommand you do every manuely. you can't imagine what you will learn.
    I agree. I'm pretty creative and would like to have full control as well as learn different methods of web design. I wouldn't mind a host that allows a little of both if I don't feel like reinventing the wheel.

Well you will have a ton of options
    sitepointforums.com is excellent for beginner webmasters. They have html forums there as well.
    As far as editors go there are also some free or low fee ones available too.
    I love EditPlus (editplus.com)
    It will remind you of a fancy notepad.

and Ive heard 1st Page 2000 is pretty good although Ive never used it, but there is more info available at www.evrsoft.com

The built-in site builders that hosts offer with their plans might have some limitations, BUT they are capable of getting a presence online with a few clicks (point-click-publish)
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

You can use a free html editor (like nvu)
    I like NVU as well. Lately I've been using http://kompozer.net, which is really just NVU with a lot less bugs. Some of them were, you know... bugging me.

Ok, now time for a stupid question. When looking at the pricing of Hostdime's plans I noticed that in addition to the disk and bandwidth space it mentions how many domains it will host.

When creating one web site with multiple pages, is each page considered a new domain? If so do I have to register each?

example:

ABCStore.com
    ABCStore.com/index
    ABCStore.com/privacypolicy

Would I have to register 3 names or 1? Would my host consider this 3 domains or 1?

thanks
    jeff

Jeff,

Each page is not considered a new domain.
    A new domain would be like:

abcstore.com
    defstore.com
    zyxstore.com

Some hosting accounts allow you to host multiple domains whereas others it's either an additional fee or not available.

Good luck with the hunt!

Ok, now time for a stupid question. When looking at the pricing of Hostdime's plans I noticed that in addition to the disk and bandwidth space it mentions how many domains it will host.

When creating one web site with multiple pages, is each page considered a new domain? If so do I have to register each?

example:

ABCStore.com
    ABCStore.com/index
    ABCStore.com/privacypolicy

Would I have to register 3 names or 1? Would my host consider this 3 domains or 1?

thanks
    jeff
    No stupid questions Jeff! your doing your research and came to the right place for help. In short, no, those are not seperate domains. 123.com would be the domain you would register, where as 123.com/mypage.htm would simply be a page within your site.
    For your multiple domain question, not all cases, but think of it this way, say you were a webmaster that built several sites for others and wanted one hosting account to manage the different sites you built, you could get one account and host several sites with it.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Jeff, bottom line, when looking for a host, while you will need a host that provides you with a basic shared hosting (linux or windows hosting will work for this matter), keep in mind that as you grow your site, you will want to think about quality and a host that focuses on customer service. All of the space in the world will not make a difference if your host does not stay focuses on providing top notch servers and great support when you need it.

Ok, I've read some reviews both here and on WebHost Magazine and I also went to the host sites and have come up with this short list.

Site5
    LiquidWeb
    Fluid Hosting
    HostGator
    FutureQuest

They all have packages in my price range, but I really don't know what kind of host I'll need (VPS, Reseller, Windows, Unix/Linux, etc). I would like to start this site faster than it will take me to learn all this so based upon what I am doing, do any of these choices stand out?

Someone mentioned that I would need PHP & MySQL. All of these hosts have this, but some say unlimited databases and at least one has a limit of 5 on the package I was looking at. Since I don't know what MySQL is I don't know how many I would need.

Jeff

All of these hosts have this, but some say unlimited databases and at least one has a limit of 5 on the package I was looking at. Since I don't know what MySQL is I don't know how many I would need.
    Eventually, I would like to promote the site and add a forum, photo gallery, links, possible web store.
    You'll probably need 3 databases for what you're listing there (forum, gallery, store). If you decide to use a CMS to build your hobby site, that's going to raise the total to 4 databases.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    You'll probably need 3 databases for what you're listing there (forum, gallery, store). If you decide to use a CMS to build your hobby site, that's going to raise the total to 4 databases.
    Hmmm.....

...so do you always need a database per page or just certain pages? Are there any good books/mags or online resources where I can learn the basics without going into too much detail at the moment?

lgehrig4:

No, you do not always need a database. For example, you could have 10 html pages that just list basic static (non-changing, not dynamic) information such as company history, info about your products, etc. and none of these pages would require a database.

The time when you get into requiring a database in when you want to either display dynamic information (e.g. customer account information on a web page) or store information (e.g. customer order details or info customers fill out when completing a form to put info into a guestbook). Hope this helps.

A good example of a CMS (content management system) that uses a database to dynamically display your web pages would be Mambo or Joomla (mamboserver.com and joomla.org, respectively)

Quote Originally Posted by geekcityusa
    lgehrig4:

No, you do not always need a database. For example, you could have 10 html pages that just list basic static (non-changing, not dynamic) information such as company history, info about your products, etc. and none of these pages would require a database.

The time when you get into requiring a database in when you want to either display dynamic information (e.g. customer account information on a web page) or store information (e.g. customer order details or info customers fill out when completing a form to put info into a guestbook). Hope this helps.

A good example of a CMS (content management system) that uses a database to dynamically display your web pages would be Mambo or Joomla (mamboserver.com and joomla.org, respectively)
    That does help and makes sense. Thank you!

Glad to help. Let us know if you have more questions. Thanks!