Are some hosts bad with email?

FYI - I am on a shared server account.

Hello, for about 5 days now our company has been experiencing email problems. Sometimes we get a bounce-back email saying that the email couldn't be sent, although sometimes, even though we get this message, the recipient still receives the email anyhow. There have also been lots of angry customers and partners demanding us to explain why we don't reply to there emails...its because we have learned that we are not receiving emails frequently.

I have emailed the host twice now. The first time they said that they were doing backups and that it was taking up alot of CPU cylces and later notified me that the process completed and that I shouldn't experience any more issues. At first this seemed true, but later that day, the problems persisted. After a few days of the same problems, I emailed the host again. They said that they identified something that was wrong in a configuration file and made the necessary changes to correct it and everything should be fine now. But, we are still having problems. I don't know what else to do. Our customers and partners are becoming increasingly frustrated and who knows how many new customers are emailing us and never getting through.

Please let me know of any recommendations you all might have.

Thanks!

Hmm, that doesn't seem right at all. It doesn't matter if the host is doing backups or if anything actually. E-mails should ALWAYS be coming in, as they are vital to many businesses -- especially when some have their monthly bills sent through e-mail.

Maybe you should look at getting someone specifically for e-mail or another host altogether. There should absolutely no reason you aren't receiving e-mail unless the e-mail server is down.

Thanks again for sharing MrRadic. It looks like I am going to have to move to a new server ASAP. Atleast if the problems do somehow still occur on the new server we will know for certain that it is somehow our problem.

Mailboxes may be full and eating into your allow webspace quota. Incoming mails are usually queued for re-attempts but eventually aborted and deleted if failed too many times. Usually most account has a catch-all mailbox that accepts any emails. This may max out with spams and eventually exceed your total space quota.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Hey Oceanworld...I just checked cPanel and it is reporting that I have 939.22 Megabytes available on my server. I assume that this is refering to file AND email space, do you know if this is correct? If so, then there should be enough space available, right? Also, I don't think any of us have our email clients configured to leave a copy of the messages on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by budbiss
    Hey Oceanworld...I just checked cPanel and it is reporting that I have 939.22 Megabytes available on my server. I assume that this is refering to file AND email space, do you know if this is correct? If so, then there should be enough space available, right? Also, I don't think any of us have our email clients configured to leave a copy of the messages on the server.
    Then space is not the fault....ignore my previous post
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Look at the bounceback messages you are receiving, the text of that message would be helpful in determining the source of the problem.

i.e. Did it say it was a temporary or permenant failure? (Error codes 4xx are temporary meaning the message will be resent again later, codes in the 5xx range are permenant and will not be resent)

452 Requested action not taken: insufficient system storage
    550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (E.g., mailbox not found, no access)
    An example of a temporary failure could be the receiving server did not respond at all, or returned a temp failure because a mailbox was full or some other error delaying delivery while a permenant failure would be due to an invalid mailbox or a spam filter or blacklist rejecting the emails. Some systems are setup to return a permenant failure if the mailbox is full, but thats ovbiously not a good idea.

I have seen high server loads cause the email to fail because the email server is taking to long to respond, this would cause a temporary failure unless the server did respond with a permenant failure code such as the ever ambiguous "554 Transaction failed" which tells you no more than the mailserver made a boo-boo.

If you're uncertain, post the text of one of your bouncebacks, maybe someone on here will be able to help from that.
    Last edited by SSA-Kris; 10-10-2006 at 12:38 PM.
    Kristopher E.J.
    http://www.SSAHost.com
    Stable, Supported, Affordable.

Here is the message I recieved...
    [omitted] is currently not permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client.

Actually, this reminds me...our email clients are configured so that the SMTP outgoing address is mail.mydomain...in the support section of their website, this is how the host instructs users to configure their clients. Shouldn't it be my ISPs outgoing SMTP server?

Still, this doesn't explain why intermittantly I don't receive emails.

Also, sometimes I don't even get a bounce back message. I receive absolutely no indication that the email didn't reach its recipient.

ASk to your host to check if your domain is listed at /etc/localdomains
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

[omitted] is currently not permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client.
    This error sounds like an error received when sending an email via the server and not authenticating - if the bounceback was sent to an address outside of the server then you should certainly check /etc/localdomains or the equivalent.

Shouldn't it be my ISPs outgoing SMTP server?
    If possible, this would likely work better - otherwise, you should make sure their SMTP settings are set to use authentication when sending email.
    Kristopher E.J.

It will be better if you can forward the bounced back mail error message to your host to let them know about it.
    www.seekdotnet.com
    Windows Shared Webhosting
    30 Days Money Back Guaranteee

if the bounceback was sent to an address outside of the server then you should certainly check /etc/localdomains or the equivalent.
    I meant to say "sent FROM an address outside of the server"
    Kristopher E.J.