Post Switching from Dedicated back to Shared Hosting

I'm currently using two iweb.ca dedicated servers to host 4 websites. I'm considering going back to shared hosting. It would be way cheaper, and I wouldn't be responsible for all the technical stuff (security updates etc).

I'm considering this plan from aplus.net:
    http://hosting.aplus.net/soloxr/marketing.html
    170GB Storage
    2000GB Transfer
    $7.46/mo

I would be purchasing 2 of these plans ($15 dollars a month seems pretty cheap). Should I do this? Has anyone done this? What would the downside be?

What kind of usage do you have on the servers?

If you are really looking to use even a fraction of 170GB space, you should not even consider a company offering crazy quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiHost-Wullie
    If you are really looking to use even a fraction of 170GB space, you should not even consider a company offering crazy quotas.
    Do you think the 170gb is unrealistic?

The iweb servers I have currently are:
    Celeron 2.4Ghz
    512MB RAM
    80GB IDE
    1500GB Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by matt3830
    If you've had dedicated hosting for a while, then you must understand the costs. How do you think they can offer more space and storage than an entire dedicated server for $8/mo?

If you actually use anything near what they offer, the downsides will probably be poor performance, frequent outages and eventual cancellation.
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

That plan is not possible. You're just asking for trouble....

Why don't you try it and then report back to us what you find.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I just say: Don't do that!
    You know what you can do? ... get one of those plans without canceling your dedicated servers and TEMPORARILY move your websites there to see what happens. You will get booted ...but maybe so you will believe me
    Got Fused?

The iweb servers I have currently are:
    Celeron 2.4Ghz
    512MB RAM
    80GB IDE
    1500GB Traffic
    If you consider they are offering you more space and bandwidth than you currently have on your dedicated server in a shared account, unrealistic is an understatement.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated
    24/7 Support Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM

Listen guys. You can't put down a company's offering's just because they are 'crazy'. What's crazy now won't be so crazy in a few years to come.

Besides, you know is most cases the company may have something in their terms that state "You may not use your account in a way to store data" as well as "If your account utilises too much CPU, your account will be suspended."

Who says that's bad, and why should you stay away from them? -- Their service may be fantastic, better than a host offering realistic packages and plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoboffin
    Listen guys. You can't put down a company's offering's just because they are 'crazy'. What's crazy now won't be so crazy in a few years to come.

Besides, you know is most cases the company may have something in their terms that state "You may not use your account in a way to store data" as well as "If your account utilises too much CPU, your account will be suspended."

Who says that's bad, and why should you stay away from them? -- Their service may be fantastic, better than a host offering realistic packages and plans.

Typically if a company is offering "Crazy" prices and setups like this it means they are looking at making a buck, not servicing their customers. They are more concerned with misleading you (even though they may state in thier TOS or AUP that they are not misleading you) to think you can actually use what they sold you rather than providing what actually sold you.

Is the OP looking to do this now or in a few years?

So where does that help the OP use what they are looking to use? A host that prevents using the space for storage of any kind is only trying to prevent the users using the space, they know there is no way to use xxGB otherwise.

Maybe their service is fantastic for someone not looking to use the quotas allocated, but for someone moving from dedicated servers back to shared hosting there is no way you can realistically say they should go with this type of plan. The OP has clearly based their requirements on the plans quotas and there is no way this company will provide 340GB of disk space for less than $15 and especially not with a reliable service.

Personally, I would never use Aplus because they called me a few times
    as soon as I registered a domain, and I hate phone spammers.

And for the similar price, I think DreamHost is better (with 97 days money back policy, and 97$ discount coupons everywhere).
    Also, there are many other well established el cheapo hosts, like servage, lunarpages, ******, ......
    I've used some of them with satisfactory result for what I need.

But I would not use one of them, alone, without any backup plan.

If you combine a few of them, with Dynamic DNS, you can construct pretty redundant system with relatively short failover time (15 minutes or so), and I think that's enough for a small business.

If I need more reliability than that, I would look for a host that has everything setup in double or triple, already, rather than constructing DIY redundancy system with cheap hosts. (Not many hosts has such redundancy, though.)
    And I would be paying 5 to 10 times more for what I'm paying now, I guess....
    (But it would be a lot more reliable than using single dedicated server.)

In short, I wouldn't go for a dedicated server unless I need full root access or I want to run different servers.
    As long as I can do everything with standard Apache/CGI, shared solution is almost always cheaper/easier,
    and often more reliable/robust/resistant, IMO.
    Last edited by extras; 10-07-2006 at 06:13 PM.

I'm currently using two iweb.ca dedicated servers to host 4 websites. I'm considering going back to shared hosting. It would be way cheaper, and I wouldn't be responsible for all the technical stuff (security updates etc).

I'm considering this plan from aplus.net:
    http://hosting.aplus.net/soloxr/marketing.html
    170GB Storage
    2000GB Transfer
    $7.46/mo

I would be purchasing 2 of these plans ($15 dollars a month seems pretty cheap). Should I do this? Has anyone done this? What would the downside be?
    matt3830, it would be wonderful if suddenly there was a way to get the value from a dedicated server for the price of a shared hosting account. It just doesnt and will not work this way. Heck, I would love to take our shared cluster and buy a whack of the accounts you mentioned - our operational costs would be cut by 1000's every month. Sadly, this will never happen. If you needed a dedicated server up until today, you still need one moving forward - and no shared environment, especially not one offering that many resources for $8 (or whatever), will accomodate your business requirements.

Since one of your concerns appears to be the server management, as well as reducing costs, I would consider alternate, more realistic methods of accomplishing this. Certainly it will not save you as much money as getting a shared account, however, you could look at consolidating those 2 small celerons into a single larger server - and depending how much value you put on your time, you could also get a fully managed server. These 2 steps will decrease your total cost of ownership and free up your time while still maintaining integrity of your hosted services..

Having said all of this, if you are just hosting personal sites on this server and you really could care less about service levels, performance, etc - then heck, go ahead and move them to an oversold shared environment - as any potential issues will not really cost you revenue, etc...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Going from TWO dedicated servers to a Shared Hosting plan seems kind of radical no? Why don't you start by moving everything to ONE dedicated server? If you feel the Shared Hosting accounts would be fine to host your 4 web sites, a single celeron server would be. I doubt any shared hosting provider will allow you to host your web sites on their hosting plateform if your web sites use more resources than a single Celeron server. You even could probably have your one server + full management for the price you are paying now for two server.

The specs of the hosting plan at aplus are fine, but it's probably the resources restriction that you need to look at. These days any shared hosting plan will offer you plenty of traffic and plenty of disk space, but the restrictions are with used resources, something that is more abstract.

Regards,

Martin Leclair
    iWeb.Ca
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

170GB Storage. consider the size of hard drive.

My dedicated hard drive is only 160GB and i am paying quite a bit more than $15 a month. If it looks to good to be true it probabbly is.

While shared hosting MAY work for you, 1 $8 plan that "Includes 170GB" of disk space is not going to work out the way you think.

Maybe a few shared accounts, or a smalll reseller account at a good host. It sounds like this shared account you are looking at is WAY oversold.
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

If you want to cut costs and get management for the servers, merge the 2 servers in another bigger but only 1 and get server management services from any company you can find in WHT. There are several of them, some really good

Q
    ComfortHost.NET. Top quality hosting. And a personal touch.
    ** web hosting ** reseller hosting ** VPS ** Managed Servers **