Why does it ask you to download a php file when you're only editing it?

I have seen this issue on several servers with a CMS backend (e.g. WordPress) -- a large PHP file (although not necessarily) is edited, and when you click on "edit," you're prompted to download the php file (e.g. post.php or index.php) instead of going to the page to edit the content. This issue is not browser specific.

Does anyone understand what I am asking and what should be changed on the server side to enable a user to rightfully edit these files rather than prompting for them to be downloaded?
    I'm female.

Hmm perhaps a chmod. Not sure, usually it's client side, but in that case, i'd think it would be a permissions problem? Maybe it could also be a bad script?(Not written Correctly)

No JVS, I don't think that's it. I think it's something in php.ini, to be honest.

I just moved hosts and am seeing this on my new host whereas it was not existent on my old host.

WordPress is the issue in this particular case, and I don't think it's a permissions issue or a bad script.
    I'm female.

Oh ok, sorry i mis-understood. Yes it is likely a issue with php.ini or with apache settings for php.

Best Regards,

-Shaun

Does it happen consistently every time or just intermittently? If you go ahead and download the file, what do you get?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

In this case, intermittently.

Still, when it happens, small files in Wordpress blogs are prompted to be downloaded (across domains, same host).

It actually happened a few minutes ago but I didn't download the post.php file. I haven't gotten it since (and I just edited a few blogs where the problem existed previously).
    I'm female.

I've seen something like this on overloaded servers (intermittent fault, download is an empty file). If / when it happens again, check your server load (Server Status link if it's CPanel).
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

It's not overloaded at all, so it concerns me.

The post.php is a blank file. The server load when I had to download this file was 0.06. I hardly consider the server to be loaded right now.

I'm pretty sure it requires some tweaking of php.ini or some apache setting, but I don't know what it is.
    I'm female.

Nobody knows?
    I'm female.

I'm surprised that nobody has experienced this given that I've encountered it on an almost regular basis on several hosts.
    I'm female.

I don't think it's that common. If you've seen the same thing on several different hosts then perhaps you need to look more closely at your own account rather than the hosts' setup.

What Wordpress plugins are you using? Some try to load information from other sites and may misbehave if the other site is offline.

Have you done a traceroute? That's a stretch, but worth checking just to eliminate...

HTH
    Chris

foobic: they are two different hosts entirely with the same issue (or at least they are similar).

One is a custom application on a Rackspace server (which I believe is in DC)

The other is a Wordpress blog on a KnownHost server (in TX).

Both exhibit the same problem and they are entirely different applications, hosts, and distros (RHES 4.0 vs. CentOS). I hardly see a common link between the two in terms of what I just specified, so it seems to me that there's just something I can do in terms of configuration on PHP/Apache.
    I'm female.

Ok, in that case it begins to look like a local problem - you're getting this on different hosts, datacenters, applications, operating systems... and the common factor is?

I'd be running traceroutes, trying different browsers on your computer, different computers at your location etc. Intermittent problems are a PITA but you can try to narrow it down.
    Chris

It's still not a local problem. This occurs on my home machine and my work machine. Even the ISPs are different.

It occurs a good 80% of the time, so I can't say it's that intermittent.

foobic: You interested in possibly checking it out? PM me some contact information please.
    I'm female.