Domain Name Transfer

Hi, sorry to have my first post on this site be one like this but I need some help/advice.

I registered a domain name in August with HostExcellence. Then 2 weeks ago I signed up with Surpass Hosting. When I signed up with Surpass I chose to "Transfer My Existing Domain" to their server. After which they charged me $15.
    They informed me after a week that they couldn't transfer the domain name because HostExcellence had it "locked". So I went there and "unlocked" it. Surpass Hosting then re-submitted the domain name transfer. Now after another week Surpass has informed me that the domain name has transfered to their server. However I need to update the nameserver on HostExcellence to their nameservers.

I tried to do this but now HostExcellence has told me that I don't have an account with them because the domain name was transfered to Surpass. All Surpass keeps telling me is I have to change the nameservers to point to theirs at HostExcellence. So now I have no clue as to who can or has the ability to change that information, HostExcellence or Surpass? Both companies are pointing their finger at each other.

If anyone else has any idea as to who is in the wrong or which of the 2 companies I need to hastle this over with please let me know. I am completely lost and am frustrated with both companies.

You have to be clear if they transfer has gone through. You can do a whois check on the domain. Of course it will be even more frustrating if you don't what whois check is about. Or ask someone who knows to do a whois check and check the registrar of your domain. You also may need to verify the admin contact email also.

Id the transfer had gone through then you need to ask Surpass for the panel to manage your domain settings.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Can you post Your domain name please? I will check it for you.

The domain name is gfxempire.com

I am starting to get the feeling that Surpass has absolutely no clue as to what is going on. I have asked them several times why they are charging me $15 to "Transfer My Existing Domain" if I still have to use my old host. Everytime they just keep ducking the question.

I am starting to get a little concerned as I am going to cancel with Surpass but I don't know where exactly my domain name is right now.

Thanks for the help.

Whois check shows:
    Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Domain status: pendingTransfer
    It could be HostExcellence is a reseller of Tucows.

Try looking up here first http://domainhelp.tucows.com/
    if not contact someone from Tucows for help.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Yes, it seems as what oceanworld is saying.

HostExcellence uses:

Registry Data

ICANN Registrar: TUCOWS INC. Created: 2003-01-26 Expires: 2008-01-26 Registrar Status: ACTIVE Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net Name Server: NS2.HOSTEXCELLENCE.COM

Your Domain is using:

Registry Data

ICANN Registrar: TUCOWS INC. Created: 2005-08-05 Expires: 2007-08-05 Registrar Status: ACTIVE Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net Name Server: NS3.SERVERSEED.COM

So it seems as if it hasnt transfered yet. If surpass says it has, but are telling you you need to change the name servers on hostexcellence, then its apparent that surpass may not know what exactly is going on nor what they are doing.

Another alternative is to NOT have any hosting company have registar control over your domain name, because if that host "goes belly up" then you are stuck. What i reccomend doing is setting up an account with a big name, like www.godaddy.com and then go ahead and transfer your domain to them. I belive its like $6.95 to transfer the domain, which also renews the domain for 1 year. So that is my best recomendation at this time which is looking our for your best interests.

If you need anything else, feel free to contact me, or send an e-mail to me Via my signature on the bottom of this page.

Best Regards,

- Shaun

JVS_HOSTING - I did as you suggested. My main concern was that the domain was already transfered to Surpass and I would then have to fight with them to get it but it still looks like it is registered with Tucows. After receiving conflicting reports from surpass employees, I have decided to cancel them and keep the domain name seperate from the host.

I really appreciate the help JVS and Oceanworld.

That seems the way to go pixel. I wish you the best in finidng a reliable hosting provider.

Best Regards,

-Shaun