Red Warnings at dnsreport.com

Just got our first VPS account up with our own name servers. But then found quite a few red warning messages when we put it through: http://www.dnsreport.com

Newbie here but this is not a good sign right?

Also, noticed that we are getting max 160 KB/s download for large files.

1. I have seen other VPS servers yield a much higher download rate. Does that mean teh VPS account we are on is capped so that we share with everyone else on our physical box?

2. If so, why woudl otehr VPS accounts be setup to allow any 1 domain to achieve the full download rate (there by possibly taking badnwidth from our users on that same box)? Isn;t the idea of VPS that others on the machine won't affect your website integrity (speed and loadtimes etc...).

Any thoughts?

You should be able to correct any of the warnings or notices showing up at dnsreport.com . If you have a managed VPS, you're host will more than likely assist with this.

A slower than normal download rate for you could mean several things. For starters, it could be any one of the hops between yourself and the server having issues, it could be rate limiting on the account, it could be a capped port switch or line, or many other things. I would start by asking your provider if your speeds are capped in any way.

mealto,

Not all the red warnings on dnsreport.com are important, so don't be extremely alarmed about it.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

what warnings are you getting at dnsreport?
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

I am having issues with the old dns and new dns. This morning, accesing the the doamin via IE brought me to the new host. This afternoon (after some fixes for a reverse DNS - not even sure what this is), accessing the site using IE brought me to the old host. Never seen a reverting of DNS before. It has been 24 hours so will wait another 24 and see if any of these red warnings disappear.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Just that my previous shared host showed most green and no reds and this new VPS shows some red. Again, not even sure what most of the red warning messages are, many of them have to do with DNS and I do see that 1 report quote both my old web host and new web host. I will hang in there and see what happens tomorrow.

If I still get red warnings, I will be sure to post back. TIA!

Just did some testing at dnsreport.com. Rackspace hosted websites come up blazingly fast.

Would anyone be concerned is this happened to your web server? Check this out: http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...=liquidweb.com

that is slow. I am surprised. contact liquid web. I do not think this is normal for them.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

To clarify, no, those are not my name servers. For a VPS account, there was an option to use 2 of the dedicated IP's to use as name servers. But given that this is their corporate website, it makes me nervous to see so many red warnings and it being so slow as well.

I will wait till my DNS's fully point from my old web host to my new one and see what kind of error messages are coming back. Getting a little more worried now.

ok, got some results. I was able to clear up some of the DNS red errors by editing the zone for each of the domains I have inside my VPS account. Looks like the original NS data was pulled into the account during the set when the VPS was using the old ns1 / ns2.

Also, after following some simple instructions, I was able to remove a few of the yellow and red warnings.

The only red warning now is:

Red Errors
    Failed: Open DNS servers
    ERROR: One or more of your nameservers reports that it is an open DNS server. This usually means that anyone in the world can query it for domains it is not authoritative for (it is possible that the DNS server advertises that it does recursive lookups when it does not, but that shouldn't happen). This can cause an excessive load on your DNS server.

Yellow Warnings
    - Nameservers on separate class C's
    - Single Point of Failure - both point to same server
    - SOA REFRESH value can be decreased (decreased value, warning gone)
    - SOA EXPIRE value can be decreased (decresed value, warning gone)
    - Mail server host name in greeting - WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is

Any thoughts if these are a concern? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by mealto; 10-10-2006 at 06:21 PM.

The Open DNS Servers issue can be resolved, but you'd need atleast two more DNS Servers. I wouldn't worry about it as 90% of the net has this issue. However, if you can safely turn off recursive lookups do it.

The same class C issue is again a pretty prevalent issue. Its a best practice warning.

The single point of failure can only be resolved with redundant hardware.

SOA Refresh follow the suggestions 1200 - 43200. If you want to keep them in sync I'd go with 1200 myself as its all local in your case.

SOA Expire follow the suggestions 1209600 to 2419200 seconds. Easy to change and make compliant per standards.

If your mail server is provided by the host provider its probable you can't change the MX setting to correct this issue and have a private host name. You can straighten this one out with your host provider in no time.

Thanks fusion,

That sounds good. Only have open dns as red and 2 yellow warnings left (single point of failure and nameservers on separate class C's). I have learned to live with these. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mealto
    Just did some testing at dnsreport.com. Rackspace hosted websites come up blazingly fast.

Would anyone be concerned is this happened to your web server? Check this out: http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...=liquidweb.com
    I'm on liquidweb too now. How did you resolve the open DNS red warning?

Open DNS is not resolved. In LW's case, I think they also run some internal security features which may help offset this. Hey, how is yoru LW speed? VPS I or II?

For OpenDNS you can fix it by checking http://www.dnsreport.com/info/opendns.htm. Check to see if a chroot is setup in /etc/sysconfig/named as if so you will have to not edit /etc/named.conf but the one under the chroot
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon