What brand Laptops are good to own and why?

I want an acer...any good things about this?

Personally, no. Acer is a terrible make. I have an Acer and the build quality is questionable and as for the support...

Well I have a 3 year insurance extension with accidential damage cover and the support is lacklustre to say the least, The DVD writer was faulty from the start and it took them 4 attempts to get it sorted.

The hard drive has failed 3 times, and the last two times it has been replaced, it has been replaced with a refurbished drive.

But this is Acer EMEA, so Acer America may operate differently.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I like HP.... for no other reason than I owned one for a couple of years without issue, and recommended them to friends and relatives, and they have had no issues.

But the most reliable would depend on what's out now.... and normally boil down to models within a company.

I would say visit here for the most up to date information: http://www.notebookforums.com/
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I've been pretty lucky with laptops. My Dell lasted 2.5 years before the hinge on the screen snapped, I did have a 3 year warranty but Dell called it "reasonable wear and tear" and said I would of had to pay anyway so I wasn't that impressed and moved over to Sony for my next one.

My current laptop is a Sony Vaio S4XP. I love how light it is, the speed and the nice bright widescreen. However I'm not sure it will last the same amount of time as the Dell. I've had it dead on 12 months and so far the space bar and left mouse button are getting a bit dodgy, and also the screen doesn't seem to be that well sealed as hair and dust has managed to get inside which is a major pain in the ***! Also the battery life has halved, so I'm really hoping that Sony do a recall soon so I can get a new one for free as a replacement was like £250 which is too much for now!

I reckon it will probably last another year, at least I hope so, because it was £1800 when I got it and if it dies out before then I will be pretty annoyed. Although I would be pretty happy to buy another Sony.

An ex-Director here had an Acer laptop which lasted 2 years before he dropped it and the hard disk died. So if he hadn't damaged it, it would probably still be going strong.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    I like HP.... for no other reason than I owned one for a couple of years without issue, and recommended them to friends and relatives, and they have had no issues. [/url]
    Yes, I have had a home server made by HP for about 5 years now and its been excellent, never given problems at all.

And the support is excellent, the monitor failed twice, once outside warranty and on both occasions, HP were happy to replace the monitor. And it wasnt a send it to use and we will send a new one. They actually delivered the monitor by private courier and picked the old one up the very next day!

My next laptop which I am planning to buy in the next couple of months will be an HP.

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I have two favorites: the Sony Vaio and the MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Trag
    I want an acer...any good things about this?
    I believe Acer is very good for it's price and so on as my friend has one and loves it. I personally love my Dell Inspiron and it's been 1.5 years and going strong. Just look around and I believe Ebay have some very good deals on Dell Laptops such as mine, where you can find a refurbished one for maybe half the price

Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    I've been pretty lucky with laptops. My Dell lasted 2.5 years before the hinge on the screen snapped, I did have a 3 year warranty but Dell called it "reasonable wear and tear" and said I would of had to pay anyway so I wasn't that impressed and moved over to Sony for my next one.

Stories like that make me mad... reminds me of when I got the extended warranty on my car and the company would always claim it was "something not covered under warranty." BS...

I'm not saying that about Dell in particular, but those "extra" warranties don't seem to work IMO... 2.5 years was a long time, so that was good. I will have had my HP for three years at the end of this month. I'm figuring something will go wrong here in a little while... nothing has, but I think that... or maybe I hope something will so I can purchase a new one when vista is released.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I always recommend IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpads to anyone looking for a laptop for serious work use. They are not for those looking for a laptop with the latest gizmos attached to it, but if you need something that is built like a tank, can take the abuse and comes with unique security features, then Thinkpad is where you want to be. Also, they are one of the better supported laptop platforms in Linux. I recommend the T series if you really need a good, solid, reliable machine. I currently use a T43, and am looking to purchase a T60p for development work.

HP are also nice. Dell I stay away from due to bad past experiences. Their desktops are not that bad though.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Lenovo (IBM) is great, my old ThinkPad A31 is still going strong. I've also had good luck with HP in the past.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

HP/Compaq has always been good to us. I use to work in a compaq service center and their warranty parts were always in stock and always overnight shipped which impressed me. No noticable exemptions other than abuse by customer, they took pretty much everything we threw at them.

On the other hand dell and sony were an absolute nightmare. Dell took 6 different people to go through before I could even get a part, warranty or not. I dreaded calling them.

Sony I could easy get through but I am not sure what their deal was but they NEVER had anything in stock and everything took 4-6 weeks to stroll over to our service center. Very annoying.

Acers=Blech
    Toshibas=Good solid machine
    IBM=Good solid machine
    ASUS=garbage with a capital G

Sony Vaio is good. Mine is 4 1/2 years now and going strong. The display is getting slow when you wake it from sleep - its kind red-ish for a minute or two. It has survived extesive travel and lots of presentations, still used quite frequently for that. If it could keep up with new software speed-wise....
    ReflexNetworks means Happy Clients!

I have a Fujitsu Siemens and I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by carlgm
    I have a Fujitsu Siemens and I have no complaints.
    Those are good.

My vote goes to Toshiba. I have never had a problem with any of them. And support and value is great.
    Upfront Business Solutions
    A Cloud & Microsoft SaaS provider
    "Creating you a online web presence"

I just got a refurbished IBM T30 off of ebay for < $400 shipped (XP Pro included).... Absolutely outstanding laptop! No more junk hinges on this laptop, the hinges look like ones you might buy at a hardware store.... Fairly light weigh, built in wireless B, built in "reading" light, and removable optical drive make this an outstanding value in my books! This thing also runs very cool, doesn't burn my laptop like my old Dell Inspiron 1100 did. Highly recommended!

Lenovo/IBM
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

I'd get Dell, MacBook Pro, or nothing.

I would say Toshiba.

For all linux-laptop fans I would recommend:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    Life is too short for 56k!

I have my acer laptop for 2.5 years now. It is on 24/7 for the majority of the 2.5 years and everything is still working fine. No hardware failure, nothing at all. I am changing it soon cause it is slow (2.5 years, it is pretty obsolete).

My friend works at a sony shop and he says they have never had a laptop returned for faulty hardware. Which should mean that they are pretty good. But they are massively overpriced and I don't particularly like sony as a brand (not after their rootkit thingy, 7 million batteries recall and a crappy PS3).

I hate HP and Compaq laptops. Those I have seen are pretty crappy and all have one form of problem or another, so I definitely won't buy one.

Macs are downright gay, so I won't even go there...

Just got me acer back from them after being repaired again, its crashing randonly, I have a feeling its the video ram causing it from the tests I have run and the symptoms.... and guess what?

Its still crashing!

STAY AWAY FROM ACER - STAY WELL AWAY!

Zero build quality, zero reliability and zero after sales support!

Pay the extra and get an HP/IBM/Sony etc, at least you have the comfort of knowing your not just going to get a bodge job!

No problems at all with anything HP I have had, oh when my monitor died twice about 4 years ago, they replaced it very next day by private courier without any problems - once even out of warranty period. Now thats what I call service, none of this "we'll take your laptop for a week and replace the part thats failed - usually hard drive - and send it back to you with usually more faults in addition to the cause of the original failiure being on the system still as we dont check anything else" crap!

My Thoshiba Satellite Laptop has good performance even with its 256Mb RAM and I am using Win XP on the system.

I purchased the Acer Aspire 3000 last year for $700 and I havent had one problem with it (touch wood).

I did HP support for a number of years and was mighty impressed with HP that I always recommend their product to anyone. I have several of their products that I am very happy with.

Also did Dell technical support for a while although I wont go into details about the actual company or products I wouldnt recommend them to anyone.

I recommend Toshiba. My latest is a Satellite M60, bought about a year ago. It is now running Windows Vista RC2 with no problems.
    Julian Moss
    Tech-Pro.net

if (all goodness included and fuzzy feeling inside)
    MacBook Pro (for all the reasons in the world, build quality, what not)
    else if (PC && Windows || Linux)
    IBM/Lenovo (for excellent build quality)