Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Host Gator Reseller Account Problem

    I have beenn using Host Gator for a while and I really like the 24/7 support. Thats probably the reason I decided to use their service. I started off with one of their entry level plans a year ago or so and I just recently upgraded to a reseller plan.

    I upgraded to the reseller plan because I have 6 domain names (i only really use 3) that I want to host, but I want each one of them to have a seprate cpanel account. I thought that I would be able to setup each one of these accounts with unlimited bandwidth and space within my alloted reseller amount, but I found out that I could not. I had to divide up my space for each domain.

    I see why Host Gator would prevent reseller accounts from "overselling", but its still something to consider if you are purchasing a reseller account from them... especially if your only using it for yourself a maybe a friend or two.

    Anyway... with that, can anybody suggest a reseller account that allows me to "oversell" space to myself? I need a Linux based server, around 5gb of space, and around 50gb of bandwidth and Cpanel/WHM.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    550
    I dont see why a web host would not allow overselling on reseller accounts... The host should want their resellers to get a lot of customers. If their resellers get more customers, the reseller would most likely want/need more space. If the reseller wants/needs more space, they will most likely get it from the host... In the end, everyone is profitable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    291
    Personally we dont allow our resellers to oversell so that their actions don't affect other clients on the same servers.

    I suggest doing a search on Google or here on WHT, am sure you'll find something. Also try the Reseller offers forum
    IndigoHosts
    Linux Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Instant Activation on all plans
    www.indigohosts.co.uk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    550
    cPanel's Overselling Feature for Resellers allows the resellers to sell more than they are allocated, however combined, all accounts under that reseller can only use a total of what the reseller is allocated... It does not allow the reseller to circumvent his/her account quota and bandwidth.

  5. #5
    IndigoHosts: If a customer is using 100% of his bandwidth and space, and it is creating a problem for other users on the server, that would be you overselling, not the customer. its the hosts jobs to make sure they arent overselling to their resellers.


    I thought I would add some more commentary about host gator:

    They have a 30 day return policy. I have been a long time basic customer, and then I upgraded to a reseller account instead of just switching hosts. I have had the reseller account for a week and then I request a refund and they wont give it to me. If i had just canceld my account, and then restarted it, I could have gottena refund. That seems like bad business to me.

    How is HostNine.com? They allow "overselling" and seem to have a fairly decent rep.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    550
    Take a look aroung WHT, there are a few topics about hostnine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    EU - east side
    Posts
    21,913

  8. #8
    If a reseller oversells to his end-users, how wil that effect other resellers on the server? If the server is configured properly, it shouldn't unless the end-users are using a severe amount of the CPU.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    A reseller account is always limited by the total space and bandwidth allocated. Imposing the "no overselling" rule simply ensures that the reseller can never use anywhere near the space or bandwidth he has purchased. If a host operates this policy I would consider about half the space offered to be usable and compare them to others on that basis.

    signature16 - if you're not reselling for profit perhaps consider a WHM multi-site account. I see dotable has a 4/40 plan and those guys do a great job...
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  10. #10
    Personally we dont allow our resellers to oversell so that their actions don't affect other clients on the same servers.
    At least a few are still left on this forum


    I noticed from the people in this thread, that most/all who piped in with "whats wrong with overselling enabled" - also offer unlimited domains, unlimited mysql, unlimited accounts, etc...

    people, something has to give here -

    Although the argument can be made that allowing resellers to oversell has no impact on server stability, has no impact on uptime, and since they cant exceed their allocation, all is good - there is a very valid flipside to this argument that is being outright ignored...

    In reality, you cannot allow your resellers to dictate your allocation to utilization ratio - IF you must oversell, and IF you must host in an oversold environment, you need to understand that this is a delicate formula (at least if performance and stability are of any concern to you) - and allowing your resellers to dictate this formula is simply a hazard - what amplifies this fact is that most of the people in this thread stating that no dangers exist with overselling enabled are cpanel, single server hosts - if you really want to oversell as a reseller, at least go with a provider that has clustered environments with accounts and services spread across multiple servers....

  11. #11
    I see why Host Gator would prevent reseller accounts from "overselling", but its still something to consider if you are purchasing a reseller account from them... especially if your only using it for yourself a maybe a friend or two.
    Honestly, if you are just using a reseller account for a friend or two, you have even fewer reasons to allow or require overselling - just create plans with what each domain actually needs - and if they actually need more then you have allocated, then upgrade...

    As a consumer, you certainly have the right to shop for what you want and buy what you want, however, starting a thread with "Host Gator Reseller Account Problem" really isnt appropriate.

    This is their business model and if it doesnt work for you, that is fine, however, nothing in your post indicates a "problem" - more just a business model - again, if it doesnt work for you, dont buy it - or take your business elsewhere - but, please dont make it out like they are ripping you off or are somehow otherwise not delivering on what you have purchased.

    The reality is, their business model is saving you alot of headaches - do you really want to be on a server where every reseller is doing the following:

    I thought that I would be able to setup each one of these accounts with unlimited bandwidth and space within my alloted reseller amount, but I found out that I could not. I had to divide up my space for each domain.

  12. #12
    CartikaHosting:

    Well.... it would really nice if HostGator just gave me less to work with instead of making me adjust all my accounts around when one domain ends up with more content. So really its a flaw in the business plan.

    Lots of companies choose bad datacenters to save their customers money, and thats part of their business plan. Would it be bad if I complained about down time? I mean, down time is inheriently part of their business plan, just like this "overselling" crap is part of HostGators plan.

    Foobic said:
    If a host operates this policy I would consider about half the space offered to be usable and compare them to others on that basis.
    Basically HostGator is deceiving their customers if you can only really use 1/2 the amount of service they give you. I think I will complain about a deceiving advertisement scheme.

    I was a long time customer, I upgraded and account, found it wasnt what I wanted, and I am no longer eligiable for a refund. Whats the point of that? Bad business.

  13. #13
    signature16, I apologize, however what you are saying is simply not correct.

    Basically HostGator is deceiving their customers if you can only really use 1/2 the amount of service they give you. I think I will complain about a deceiving advertisement scheme.
    The reality is, you wanted to create unlimited disk space and bandwidth plans right?

    I thought that I would be able to setup each one of these accounts with unlimited bandwidth and space within my alloted reseller amount, but I found out that I could not. I had to divide up my space for each domain.
    What you are trying to do does not exist. Hostgator, or any other host which does not allow overselling is not "deceiving" you - a customer like you, who is trying to abuse their resources by offering unlimited everything is where the problem actually lies - so, you want a provider to allow resellers to sell packages which do not, and cannot exist??

    Lots of companies choose bad datacenters to save their customers money, and thats part of their business plan. Would it be bad if I complained about down time? I mean, down time is inheriently part of their business plan, just like this "overselling" crap is part of HostGators plan.
    This doesnt even make sense...

    Again, if you don't think hostgators plans are appropriate for you, dont buy them - but, no need to come on a public forum and try to discredit a host for providing exactly what they advertise.

    if you want to offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth, find a provider silly enough to offer you that ability - and please, when you are back here in 2-4 months complaining about constant downtime and looking for a new host, please ensure you reference this thread...

    Best of luck...
    Last edited by cartika-andrew; 10-10-2006 at 12:57 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    a customer like you, who is trying to abuse their resources by offering unlimited everything is where the problem actually lies - so, you want a provider to allow resellers to sell packages which do not, and cannot exist??
    Umm, the way I read it he(?) was simply trying to share out his allocated space and bandwidth into separate accounts without pre-allocating set amounts. Is that so unreasonable?

    Agreed though, the title is inappropriate - the account was just unsuitable for his requirements.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,779
    I get so sick of this argument.

    Really how can you say that not allowing overselling is only allowing you to use half your allocated space and bandwidth? That is just plain silly.

    If you buy 2 gig you can use every bit of that 2 gig if you want. Buy an unlimited oversold plan and then try filling it up with 60 gig of data. Bet you run out of space before you get to unlimited.
    The only people scamming are the ones that say you can host unlimited domains unlimted mail accounts and have unlimited Mysql with unlimited overselling.

    Try starting your own free hotmail type service on one of those accounts.

    You really want to be on a server that has no limits to the number of accounts a reseller can make? If being on a server with about 2000 or 3000 other accounts sounds like fun to you then go for it. But don't blast a host for offering stable servers and trying to maintain a stable hosting paltform by using a little common sense in their offerings.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Techark
    Really how can you say that not allowing overselling is only allowing you to use half your allocated space and bandwidth? That is just plain silly.
    In the context of a reseller account (which is possibly not the OP's position anyway) it's not silly at all, in fact it's common sense: If you have a 2Gb reseller account with overselling enabled you can most likely sell 8 x 500Mb accounts before you need to upgrade. With overselling not enabled you can only sell 4. That's something to bear in mind when selecting an account, no?

    All of which has very little connection with the quality of the host, what they charge, how much they oversell, unlimited domains, free hotmail services (where did that come from?!) etc. etc.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic
    If you have a 2Gb reseller account with overselling enabled you can most likely sell 8 x 500Mb accounts before you need to upgrade. With overselling not enabled you can only sell 4. That's something to bear in mind when selecting an account, no?
    Your example is nice. But what others could do is allocate something like 20 x 2GB hoping most customers use 100MB on average. So the argument is that HostGator has tried to give you as much as they can at the lowest possible price.

    However, I would have hoped that I could at least allocate twice what I have purchased so the distribution is easier. I must say though that their decision seems to have worked in their favor. They have a very good reputation here at WHT (and elsewhere). So they must think they're doing the right thing. I've been an HG customer for over a year now and have just gotten a 2nd reseller account last week (I now have 2 Aluminums).

    If you're looking for a similar package with Overselling enabled, I'd recommend ResellerZoom. I've also been with them for some time now and am generally happy, too.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pheonix, AZ
    Posts
    38
    I think hosting companies that do not allow "overselling" is a good practice, reduces price inflation on hosting services. My 2 cents

  19. #19
    I don't really see why everyone is blaming him for requesting unlimited overselling ? He didn't request unlimited "anything" at any point, the only thing that he requested was overselling. I think it is completely normal to be able to oversell the bandith and space, as long as you establish a limit for the databases and CPU usage... etc.

    But hey, I will tell you why you people don't like overselling: It's because you are doing overselling with the resellers. And then, if your resellers use the account's bandwith and space close to maximum, then you have to upgrade... That's the problem here. Again: what's the problem if I have 10 customers with 100/1G bw packages on a 500/5G bw reseller account ? If I get past my account limits it will be locked, if i runs like that, why do I have to pay for more ?

    And about the thread title, it's as corect as it gets. He has a problem with the way HostGator does business, and he's entitled to to discuss about it.

  20. #20
    Umm, the way I read it he(?) was simply trying to share out his allocated space and bandwidth into separate accounts without pre-allocating set amounts. Is that so unreasonable?
    Yes, it is that unreasonable - because "without pre-allocating set amounts" really means is that the user wants to create unlimited bandwidth and storage shared accounts - which means every other reseller on that server can, and most probably will, do the exact same thing - although people seem to disagree on whether overselling is good or bad, can we at least all agree that allowing unlimited space and bandwidth is not a good thing?

    But hey, I will tell you why you people don't like overselling: It's because you are doing overselling with the resellers. And then, if your resellers use the account's bandwith and space close to maximum, then you have to upgrade... That's the problem here.
    LOL - man - this forum is getting worse and worse by the day - so, unlimited everything, unlimited overselling enabled and if a host doesnt offer this, it is because they are greedy and trying to make more money -

    May I ask what a reseller provider upgrades to? add another server? this whole point is absurd - the only thing we care about is server stability, performance and uptime - I could care less if we need an extra 6,8,10 or more servers per 1000 customers... Have you considered that half of us have our servers significantly under utilized to allow resellers to seamlessly grow? I guess you would prefer the good old full partitions, high cpu loads, constant outages, and account moves to different servers hoping beyound hope that things will be better on this server - even though the business model is the exact same - heck, this forum is FULL of this sort of thing - yet somehow, any company smart enough to avoid these pitfalls is somehow doing something wrong?

    If I get past my account limits it will be locked, if i runs like that, why do I have to pay for more ?
    Great, so why not enable you with the ability to perform near fraudulent activity against end users. Sure, go ahead and sell unlimited plans - and when you hit your limit and cant possibly upgrade - because I have yet to see an unlimited hard drive - well - sorry end users - and lets hope you didnt pre-pay for a year right?

    He has a problem with the way HostGator does business, and he's entitled to to discuss about it.
    He is not entitled to say he was deceived or otherwise mis-treated by his provider - simply because he doesnt understand the hazards of selling unlimited space and bandwidth plans... and simply because his provider chooses to not commit hosting suicide by allowing him to do so.

  21. #21
    CartikaHosting: Please read my posts before responding. I said I was not going to resell. And if I was I certainly couldnt advertise unlimited bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    signature16, I apologize, however what you are saying is simply not correct.

    The reality is, you wanted to create unlimited disk space and bandwidth plans right?
    I wanted my domains to be able to fluctuate in the amount of space and bandwidth they were using without having to individually change my packages in WHM. Not to much to ask.

    Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    What you are trying to do does not exist. Hostgator, or any other host which does not allow overselling is not "deceiving" you - a customer like you, who is trying to abuse their resources by offering unlimited everything is where the problem actually lies - so, you want a provider to allow resellers to sell packages which do not, and cannot exist??
    All I want to do is use the space and bandwidth they sold me to the fullest. If I can only use 1/2 of what they are selling me, what the hell is the point of that. I may as well just buy twice the amount in the beginning. They didn't advertise this "feature" on their website.


    Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting

    Again, if you don't think hostgators plans are appropriate for you, dont buy them - but, no need to come on a public forum and try to discredit a host for providing exactly what they advertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    if you want to offer unlimited disk space and bandwidth, find a provider silly enough to offer you that ability - and please, when you are back here in 2-4 months complaining about constant downtime and looking for a new host, please ensure you reference this thread...

    Best of luck...
    Im not asking for unlimited disk space and bandwidth. I need like 5gb of space that I can use and maybe 40gb of bandwidth. Thats all I need....max. With HostGator I need to purchase 5 of the basic accounts to accomplish this because I have 5 domains and at any given time, each domain has between 100mb and 4gb of data on it.

    Plus their return policy just sucks. A customer who upgrades instead of changing to another companhy... who finds out the plan doesnt work is not eligible for a refund of their upgrade.

    Isnt WebHosting Talk a place for people to "Talk" about "Web Hosts"? If not, then sorry for spamming the forums please delete my account and threads.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    signature16: Don't worry about it. I think it was because you used the 'u' word in your original post - people see that and the red mist descends - everything else you wrote somehow became invisible

    There are good reseller hosts who allow overselling - check out some of the others recommended around here.
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •