What data center & why?

What data center do you use and why? I've heard of NAC, InterNAP, and Inflow. What are some of the most reasonably-priced data centers that offer redundancy with at least 3 B/W providers, and at least 2 of those being a Tier 1 provider like AT&T?

I'd be especially interested to know if Inflow is any good, or if any host happens to use their Nashville datacenter

Hello there - are you looking for dedicated servers or server colocation at their facilities?

I have no personal experience with Internap or Inflow, but I know they both have perfect connections, not quite sure about internap, but Inflow offers 100% uptime guarantee.

I think a 100% uptime guarantee is retarded. Everybody's network goes down at one time or another. Even UUNet and they offer a 100% uptime SLA. Saying you have 100% uptime, is just simple a lie because sooner or laterl you are going to go down even if just for a minute. All it tells me is the company is trying to win my business with gimics, which I don't go for. Because obviously a company with 100% uptime isnt' going to have any more control over the network than somebody who offers 99.99%, 99.999% or whatever. When offering 100% they just figure that the amount in refunds they will have to pay, for their downtime, will be soo small that it doesn't matt

Originally posted by inkhead
    I think a 100% uptime guarantee is retarded. Everybody's network goes down at one time or another. Even UUNet and they offer a 100% uptime SLA. Saying you have 100% uptime, is just simple a lie because sooner or laterl you are going to go down even if just for a minute. All it tells me is the company is trying to win my business with gimics, which I don't go for. Because obviously a company with 100% uptime isnt' going to have any more control over the network than somebody who offers 99.99%, 99.999% or whatever. When offering 100% they just figure that the amount in refunds they will have to pay, for their downtime, will be soo small that it doesn't matt
    Companies that offer 100% uptime probably have an SLA somewhere that states that this and that and this are not inlcuded in the uptime SLA and so, after all the exclusion, it gives 100% uptime.

It's very hard to give an uptime SLA without exclusing anything. For example, let's just say someone did and they say that they will give 99.9% uptime, no matter what happens, even if the dedicated server goes down for any reason etc. In this case, it can't be done because if you're providing web hosting, then any of the clients may accidently have runaway cgi scripts, which could slow down the server so that nothing else runs, and so you get connection timed out errors. And after a tech is notified of the server being unavailable and then having to find who the user was that was running the script, it would probably be about half an hour that the server was unavailable, and so this means that all that needs to happen is this incident to occur once more later in the month and the uptime SLA will come into affect in refunding the customers. So there always has to be 'small prints' in making a gurantee.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

I think a 100% uptime guarantee is retarded. Everybody's network goes down at one time or another. Even UUNet and they offer a 100% uptime SLA. Saying you have 100% uptime, is just simple a lie because sooner or laterl you are going to go down even if just for a minute. All it tells me is the company is trying to win my business with gimics, which I don't go for.
    That's kind of like saying you don't care about the warranties on any item you buy. They're all gimmicks because we know these things can break. Without the warranty though you can not return it for a new one.

The uptime guarantee is a way of ensuring you will be compensated if/when something does go wrong and without the uptime guarantee your host may not be as worried about downtime since they will not need to compensate.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

I don't know about InterNAP pricing, but I know that NAC is substantially cheaper than Inflow.

I do believe that Inflow is in a league of their own, though, they have an impeccable uptime record, and while NAC's uptime is great, they occasionally have the odd routing issue. I would still recommend them without a doubt, though.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

We use Inflow at St.louis (co-locate with the rackmy guys) and its worth every cent

Originally posted by apollo
    Hello there - are you looking for dedicated servers or server colocation at their facilities?

I have no personal experience with Internap or Inflow, but I know they both have perfect connections, not quite sure about internap, but Inflow offers 100% uptime guarantee.
    Actually, I am looking for a reseller that uses one of those. I'm familiar with many of the hosts here that use pwebtech(NAC), but was trying to find out if anyone used interNAP or Inflow.
    Tera-byte's redundancy looks good, though they have their own data center.