What stops the average consumer from switching to VOIP?

Just curious what you guys think. :-)

When I say average, I mean, JoeBlow who works for the Electric Company and SuzySizemore who works for Kroger...

They use their phone often to talk with family long distance, and could definitely use the extra $$ saved to put towards Junior's college fund.

Is it just the trouble of switching? The lack of 'paper'? or simply, they don't know?

I think in some cases in ignorance, there still a lot of people that have no idea how it works.

Also some others are concern for the voice quality, which is really a factor the communication sometimes is not that great.

So i think is a mixed of the two, Ignorance in the subject and for others quality.

Quote Originally Posted by wbpro
    I think in some cases in ignorance, there still a lot of people that have no idea how it works.

Also some others are concern for the voice quality, which is really a factor the communication sometimes is not that great.

So i think is a mixed of the two, Ignorance in the subject and for others quality.
    I've never had issues with voice communication, always seemed crystal clear compared to my landline except for international calls. Personally I think landlines are becoming a waiste of money.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

There isn't the right condition to support it, you have folks with DSL, and that require a landline in a lot of places. Easier to go VOIP when you got cable. That's how we got switched, the landline had problems, they wanted $80 to come out and fix it. As I had cable as well, I went and order vonage.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

The funny thing I find with VOIP is the person with it always hears things clearly (download higher than upload limits), but when I talk with people who are using VOIP on a call, it sounds like they are on an analog cell phone.

- John C.

I agree with FluffyTiger. Anybody on DSL is automatically scratched out if they are not willing to switch to Cable. Another issue I've ran into when recommending it is that people seem to think you can only run one phone, when in all actuality whether you use a multi handset cordless, or disconnect your house from the main phone companies feed and tap directly into your internal wiring, you can run multiple phones.

The other complaint I've heard is what if the power goes out. Unless there is some sort of backup in place (Comcast's digital voice provides approximately 9 hours worth of backup in a power loss), the phone goes out because the internet goes down, etc.

These are just some of the issues I've dealt with......

It is local phone company monopoly. Here in my area to have internet that will work with VOIP I MUST have phone service from Verizon, so since I have a line already why pay for VOIP too(note, I do but mass market doesn't and WON'T!)

It's quite simple really. VOIP costs more than land line phone.

I think for many it's too radical & takes them out of their comfort zone. They've always used Ma Bell for phone and AOL for internet. Getting their phone service from an internet company seems too risky from support, service and reliability perspectives.

I have phone service from my cable company and it does go down more frequently than a regular phone line.

Basically, most people have no clue about VOIP....

Many people are still on dialup (from what I see anyway... who cares about what stats say).

In addition, many people are switching to cell phones only. Partner of mine turned off his land line and put his entire family on cell phones... he saves a little bit of money but now his teen has a cell phone (only person that did not have a cell phone before).
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

voIP is prone to alot more problems than the old pstn network wich uses primative technology.

power cuts
    router freezes
    DoS attack
    and basically any problem you could have with an internet connection.

PSTN
    and voIP
    are expensive!

I just use a cell
    and Skypeout if I need to contact the U.S. (usually customer support)
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Reloader
    It's quite simple really. VOIP costs more than land line phone.
    What companies have you looked at? We use the vonage 500 minutes plan, come out to about $18.50 a month. Before that we were paying the same just for local.

Around here, the cost effectiveness isn't as great (It'd save money, but not enough to make it worthwhile), and I always need redundant communication methods (cant afford to be completely offline because my ISP is dead after all).

I'd think concerns over 911 services may be one reason, and the fact that most of the well known VOIP companies are the only ones the average joe finds (and they're a LOT less competitive then many of the smaller players).

As someone with a lot of firsthand experience dealing with various VOIP companies however, I'd say anyone whose in a similar position may be aware of the massive turnover rates (providers going bust) in the VOIP market (outside the top few obviously).

Some of the things I've noticed when I was in the business of home networks and such, most people don't know about VoIP, and the few that do, don't realize that there is any benifit. Some that I've talked to who looked into it are more worried about it going down when their network goes down (Usualy the reason I'm out there is because of that) and they worry about quality.

I've been using VoIP as a main line that multi-rings my cell phone and I love it, but it dosnt have 911 (I would use my cell for that) And when my internet goes down, it does too. But a lot of people arent aware I would say is the majority.

I do know a few people that have them, and other than my tech saavy friends, the ones that have it, have it because their daughter runs up minutes on the cell phone like crazy, or they have a relative in another state, and they have an out of state number so calls between them are cheap. I've also met a few with a comcast VoIP phone, and for the most part they dont seem to notice its anything but normal, and a few dont know its ran over the cable connection.

I find that a lot of people do not know about VOIP. I recommend it to family and friends all the time, and often find that most of them have never heard of it.

Maybe a lot of people are scared that if they switch to VOIP then their phones will die as often as their cable and Internet (I'm looking at you Cox Cable!).
    Michael Chase
    Clear-Data Internet Services - Inexpensive website, reseller, and game server hosting.

I know that's the truth with us - we started using Vonage when we bought our house last year, and as luck would have it our broadband provider (Insight) decided a few months later to do some major network upgrades. We'd go down intermittenly, then one day in May - BOOM! We were down for almost a week.

Since we live in such a rural area - our cell phones don't even get reception down here - and since we have two small children, I just didn't feel comfortable having such an unstable service.

Now if Insight can prove themselves and keep the service up for more than a couple of months without a major outage, we may switch back
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Why not get a 2 way radio? One of the big 10 or 12 watts ones, you could probably reach the local shrieff and ambulance service with it if need be, and probably faster than calling too.

I have Vonage at the house, with DSL.
    I do have a landline but, SBC/ATT Internet services has an option where you don't need a landline(for DSL).
    We had a power outage a few days ago, and I didn't have battery backup on my network, so, the network went down.
    That meant, I can't make any calls on my Vonage phone(which sucked).
    BUT, hey hey hey, lookie here, I still have my Landline, and it still worked(Because the voltage in it comes from the CO office, not the power lines)!
    I remembered that any DSL account came with a free Dial-up account(with SBC), so I found one of my older bills, called the toll free number on it, and chose the "For Dial-Up numbers, press 2", wrote down my local dial-up numbers, popped open my laptop(that had full battery) and was back online in a few minutes(only 42k, but it was still online) =).
    Anyway, my point, people probably are afraid of reliability, as during power outages, their POTS still works.

-Jarrett

Without reading all the replies, heres my opinions... From the "Average User" perspective who are not computer experts or even knowledgable on using them.

* Reliability
    * Redundancy
    * Extra hardware "just to use the phone".
    * Not everyone wants/needs the net or just cant get high-speed. (A VERY large margin of users cant get DSL/cable due to distance)
    * For those that dont have the 'net. Would they really want to pay $70 month (45 for high-speed + $25 vonage)?
    * Lack of knowledge
    * Security. (my call will travel the internet)
    * Ignorance
    * Portability. (Almost everyone I know uses their cell as primary phone)

Just a few I can think of offhand that may be holding most users back.