Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* 13-year-old student fires an AK-47 inside his middle school Monday

Are you kidding me? Another one?

JOPLIN, Missouri (AP) -- A 13-year-old student fired an AK-47 inside his middle school Monday morning after confronting two others students and his principal, but no one was injured, authorities said.

The student was wearing a mask and pointed the assault rifle at Principal Steve Gilbreth, Assistant Superintendent Steve Doerr and two students, saying, "not to make me do this," Superintendent Jim Simpson said.

Simpson said the teen then fired a shot into the ceiling, breaking a water pipe, and said again, "Please don't make me do this."

"It was a very close call," Simpson said.

Doerr and Gilbreth persuaded the student to leave the building, where he was confronted by two police officers with weapons drawn. The student dropped the rifle and was taken into custody, Simpson said. The student's identity was not released.

Joplin police Officer Curt Farmer said officers found a note in the student's backpack indicating that he had placed an explosive in the school, which has about 700 students. Students in the school were moved to nearby Joplin Memorial Hall, and the school was closed while officers searched the building.

The student was wearing a mask and apparently had been planning an attack for a "long time," Simpson said. He didn't elaborate and said authorities did not know whether others were involved.

Joplin, which has about 40,900 residents, is in southwest Missouri, on the Kansas border about 140 miles south of Kansas City.

Schools across the country have been on alert after three deadly school shootings in three states in the span of a week, and several schools have been locked down or closed entirely during the past two weeks because of threats.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/09/mis....ap/index.html
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

What The ****!
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Where the hell does a 13 yr old get an AK?
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: msn@hostingchoice.net AIM: HCLiveHelp02

You know I ask the same question HC-Josh is asking. Where the hell does a 13 year old get an AK? All of this school shooting stuff is starting to get a little depressing...

Wow..I grew up 40 minutes from Joplin and it was always such a sweet little town...
    All these gun situations are just...crazy..something needs to be done.

Seems like a copycat situation now with all the recent incidents.

I guess people these days want to get noticed, going to jail for the rest of your life is worth it to them I guess. What ever

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband
    Wow..I grew up 40 minutes from Joplin and it was always such a sweet little town...
    All these gun situations are just...crazy..something needs to be done.
    Actually I went to that school about 7 years ago and I am quite surprised it happened, but it is something we kind of expected would happen, only at the high school. There has been several issues with students bringing firearms into class at Joplin High, eventually someone was bound to fire one.

Better stock up on your guns now... I don't see all these shootings taking us to a nice place...esp if the dems get control this nov and then win the white house in 08...

I would guess he got the AK from a relative... dad, uncle, etc... someone he is living with at least. I would guess it is much like mine, with a fold stock... easy to put in a large bookbag...

Crazy....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

What are the regulations on owning a fully automatic rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    Need a Class 3 license. Those are a bitch and a half to get, it can take up to 2 years and the fee/tax is HUGE.

Most AK47's you see in the US are semi automatic however.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

You must have some money...

This site explains it:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

At least he realized what would happen if he shot those people and only fired a shot into the ceiling.

What's the point of going through all that trouble for a weapon no one would ever need anyway, I don't see why they're legal.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    I don't see all these shootings taking us to a nice place...esp if the dems get control this nov and then win the white house in 08...
    I don't mind the assumptions as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, can you keep your political banter out of my thread in hopes that it won't get moved to the Social Issues forum?

Thanks!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nich
    I don't mind the assumptions as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, can you keep your political banter out of my thread in hopes that it won't get moved to the Social Issues forum?

Thanks!
    Uh, no...

man seems like school shooting are becoming epidemic
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~ Dedicated Servers ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Enterprise / Managed Hosting ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations - New York, Amsterdam, LA, & Montreal ~
    ~ SKYPE/AIM: WebairGH - TWITTER - @WEBAIRINC - EMAIL: sales@webair.com

Where the hell does a 13 yr old get an AK?
    It's America.... what else do you need to know? More guns than candy over there.

hekwu -- must everything be political?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    It's America.... what else do you need to know? More guns than candy over there.

hekwu -- must everything be political?
    Uh, no.

Not everything.

Considering the person disregarded the rest of my post, and two posts after that (which were not political), I would say I'm not being political at all... far from it… one sentence does not make something political…
    Last edited by hekwu; 10-09-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu
    Uh, no.

Not everything.

Considering the person disregarded the rest of my post, and two posts after that (which were not political), I would say I'm not being political at all... far from it… one sentence does not make something political…
    Actually I didn't ignore anything, but I'll start ignoring everything now since you seem to like to constantly troll and add your political one-liners amongst a topic that isn't political to begin with. Your post could have done without the Democrat bashing, don't you think?

Oh wait a minute, I didn't see your Custom User Title ("Web Hosting Loser" is what it says)...that explains it all, no sense in arguing with you!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

This is getting pretty ridiculous. I couldn't help but to chuckle while reading the title.

I think this will be the end of the school shootings for a while though. Now that this copycat failed, I can't see anyone trying to copy him.

So where are the parents?

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    This is getting pretty ridiculous. I couldn't help but to chuckle while reading the title.

I think this will be the end of the school shootings for a while though. Now that this copycat failed, I can't see anyone trying to copy him.
    My goodness, I hope you are right... but man, it does not look good considering we are only 3 months into the school year.

Nich, hit me up on PM, if you want to continue....
    Last edited by hekwu; 10-09-2006 at 06:27 PM.

AK47 are easy to get in the States. Costs about $300.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Quote Originally Posted by fromage
    AK47 are easy to get in the States. Costs about $300.
    Or a SKS, which is very similar but cheaper ($100-150). Sadly, the US has developed a blame culture, where a person is not entirely responsible for their actions. A kid steals a weapon and fires it off, and everyone blames the manufacturer, laws, the parents, etc. Anyone but the person who comitted the crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast