cpu and memory usage

i'm looking at a shared hosting plan, one if the companies stated that, if i get such plan, i can only use max 100 mhz of cup and 64mb of memory, is there any more concrete comparision for this spec?

how about if i'm runing invision board with average 50 users online? any idea which much will it consume?

50 users online at the same time is often the limit of the shared option. You might look for a small VPS solution.
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

50 users online for a forum is a lot for a shared plan and you're going to find it to be a hit or miss with shared providers on whether they'll host it for long. Some may not notice for 6 months until their server is overloaded or crashes. Others may be all over it in a day when they say the CPU reports. Like I know we've had some users running large forums for over a year on one server while we've booted smaller ones who were on much more loaded servers. All depends really

Of course the safe way to go is to get a VPS with set limits on CPU and memory and such. This of course assuming you have enough Linux knowledge to get by on your own VPS.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

so any idea for such forum, let say 80 users online, roughly what kind of cpu, memory usage i'll need? how many sql connection that i need? coz if i am getting a vps, i need to get a vps plan that enough for support this.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by immotive
    so any idea for such forum, let say 80 users online, roughly what kind of cpu, memory usage i'll need? how many sql connection that i need? coz if i am getting a vps, i need to get a vps plan that enough for support this.

cheers.
    I have a VPS-L at Knownhost (One Example)

I have 30-100 online with a 160mb db right now. I have several mods added to the forum as well. I have experienced only a couple times were the site was slow, and this was just for a few seconds. I think it is mainly because of the different mods I have installed on the site and the extra queries. But for the most part it is super fast. I am running cPanel as well. There are several VPS solutions here at WHT to choose from. I would definatly stay away from a shared plan..Good Luck

Hi all,

I'm moving my forum out soon, but i am not sure if normal shared hosting plan can fit my site. Basically I'm using the latest IPB, in average, there are 30 members and 35 guests active (15min range), and average bandwidth consumed is 60GB. SQL backup is around 280MB

I am about to sign up a plan, but the it specified that allocated CPU is 100MHz and Memory is 64MB, any idea if this is enough for my board?

Thanks alot.

It won't be enough. A VPS is definitely the way to go (as the others said before). Shared hosting just won't do it for ~60 members and 60gb of bandwidth monthly.

I highly suggest getting a VPS with at least 256mb's of ram if you intend on running a control panel with it (which I'm sure you will). Try to go with DirectAdmin or even WebMin due to the fact they will be much milder on the load in comparison to cPanel
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

There are many different possibilities on the market now. You can get easely more than 256mb ram with VPS now.

any idea what is the price range for that? preferably market players with better service and repulation over the years, cheers.

immotive, I'd recommend you to have VPS surely more than 256mb RAM and go with PLESK. You know I can't say it's very difficult in using but you'll be able to control everything on your server yourselves or having issues you may address to the support of the host for help. As for the prices you may open any plans and see what you need and what suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyy
    immotive, I'd recommend you to have VPS surely more than 256mb RAM and go with PLESK. You know I can't say it's very difficult in using but you'll be able to control everything on your server yourselves or having issues you may address to the support of the host for help. As for the prices you may open any plans and see what you need and what suits you.
    dannyy, can you explain what do you mean by "go with PLESK". I thought one can't choose panels for VPS, it's host's decision and you can't change the panel. You can do it only for dedicated server. Am I wrong?

HHIC, all depends on the the hoster's suggestions. Usually the clients can't choose the Control Panel.
    Last edited by dannyy; 10-10-2006 at 08:53 AM.

dannyy, why cPanel?????

Knownhost gives you 4 choices cPanel/WHM,Plesk,DirectAdmin,Webmin

Quote Originally Posted by HHIC
    dannyy, why cPanel?????
    I meant not only cPanel. I meant the CONTROL PANEL