Thread: Overselling

Question Overselling

I know overselling is usually not the right way to go, but can you oversell on your own server. I know you can oversell on reseller accounts, but how about when you have your own server?
    REVCOM - Hosting websites since 2004!
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Offers the Cueburst Support Ticket System Exclusively
    Follow us on Twitter! @REVCOM_LLC

Ashton -

Overselling is a touchy subject on WHT where you will hear several very different opinions on whether it is okay to oversell or not. To me - overselling is done in some fashion across the gambit of product/service demand. Infact - the term is sort of over used in this industry.

But without getting into the ethical nature of overselling - when you have your own server - you are free to oversell as you want. Just be sure to have a system in place when you resources are beginning to be maxed. (ie, another server) Becareful on overselling bandwidth - that will determine closely with your server provider.

The one thing you don't want to happen is to over large plans but not able to deliver.

Ashton,

Of course you can oversell on your own server.

There is nothing wrong with overselling, just something wrong with the way some hosts manage it. Clients have come to expect it, so hosts must be able to offer it, managed for maximum quality.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Yes, you can oversell even more on your own server!

The safest way to do business in my opinion is by not overselling. Not only does this prevent you from running into problems further down the line, but it also helps to attract the "right type" of customer in my opinion, as you are more likely to gain clients who have a realistic expectation and idea of what service really is and how much it costs.

I won't oversell and whilst this philosophy will probably never make millions, at least I won't have the worries that 99% of overselling hosts do, who also dont and wont make millions.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt
    I won't oversell and whilst this philosophy will probably never make millions, at least I won't have the worries that 99% of overselling hosts do, who also dont and wont make millions.

Why isn't it possible to make millions?

Overselling allows you to compete with the crowded teenager hosting "business"

Not overselling allows you to compete in the grown-up hosting business.
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Overselling is risky, same as gambling..
    You oversell hoping clients won't actually use up all their space and bandwidth..but what if?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroNet-Hesham
    Overselling is risky, same as gambling..
    You oversell hoping clients won't actually use up all their space and bandwidth..but what if?
    As I know big companies oversell their disk space and bandwidth. So if some site uses lots of resources, then it will be suspended soon. Guys, do you read TOS when order an account ? Usually TOS contains something like "we can suspend your account at any time if it overloads our server". I think it isn't so risky as CaroNet-Hesham said.

As jerett said, overselling is a very touchy subject. Some businesses do no overselling and others do so much they run into trouble. With your own server, you have to decide what you can and what you do offer.
    Mike
    cPanel/WHM scripts at Premier Website Solutions (all your website needs)
    Support young figure skaters in training. juniorskaters.com

I personally don't agree with overselling. It's better to play it safe.
    Professional UK Web Hosting Company.

If you do web hosting good enough, you wont have to worry about the competitors.
    I hope that made sense, if it didn't - oh well.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Quote Originally Posted by x-termin8or
    I personally don't agree with overselling. It's better to play it safe.
    so your telling me that if you opened a gym and bought three rowing machines you would not accept more then three members in your gym? theres nothing wrong with overselling providing u know and watch your limits

Quote Originally Posted by iand
    so your telling me that if you opened a gym and bought three rowing machines you would not accept more then three members in your gym? theres nothing wrong with overselling providing u know and watch your limits
    Well, most gyms have a 30 minute policy regarding how long people can stay on cardio machines, not to mention that most people (except me) could not withstand running on a treadmill for 720 hours straight each month. Thus, that's not a very fair comparison.

Overselling really depends a lot on your niche. If you are targetting small businesses, chances are that they won't use a lot of bandwidth. However, if you are targetting online gamers who host gaming movies and large files that they make available to the mass public, then one would have to be careful in overselling.
    JetNet, LLC
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared Reseller Dedicated
    http://www.jetnethost.com

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    Overselling allows you to compete with the crowded teenager hosting "business"

Not overselling allows you to compete in the grown-up hosting business.
    Every host oversells - you do it as well. Even if you have just 50 customers and offer 100MB of space and 1GB of transfer - very reasonable, a 10GB disk covers them, and 50GB of transfer a month...no problem. But unless you specify how they use their transfer, in order to not 'oversell' - you'd need a 50GB pipe dedicated soley to you to handle what you've sold. All 50 people could download their 1GB of transfer in the same instant...it's a consumable resource that has to be calculated to not be overselling. Is it even remotely realistic...hell no, it's nothing more than a stupid situation to point out that all hosts make assumptions regarding resource usage. It's not even remotely non-grown-up to assume that all your customers won't use all their diskspace allotted, or all their transfer...the business practice itself isn't bad at all, but like any business practice, it can be abused. There are lot's of grown-up hosting businesses that make idiotic decisions far beyond overselling...especially given everyone does it to some degree,

I wouldn't get into it, but yes you can, it's pretty much no different to overselling on a reseller account, except you need to watch your HDD space, and upgrade before it reaches 100%!

If you're going to oversell, only oversell to about 5%, no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton4
    I know overselling is usually not the right way to go, but can you oversell on your own server. I know you can oversell on reseller accounts, but how about when you have your own server?
    You almost got it right.

Mis-management is usually not the right way to go!

Unfortunately, many people responsible for Server Management do not know what they are doing. I would be more concerned about whether the Server is properly secured and some optimizing has been done, before ever worring about overselling.

I say this in general and to no one in particular. We all start with knowing nothing and go from there. That's why, in the beginning, it's a good idea to have your DC or someone knowledgeable, take care of some Server basics. Many people did not and that's why, if you read post in the "Outages" Forum, many people recently had their Servers hacked, no decent backup plan and lost everything, or just people in general complaining about how often their Site is down.

Overselling, which is correctly called the "Actual Use" method, works well for those that do not abuse it. If you stay within 5 - 10 percent of overselling you should not have a problem. And don't go by the size of your Hard drive, go by how much space you have in the 'home' dir., as that is where your Hosting accounts will be setup.
    Last edited by Website Rob; 10-12-2006 at 04:31 AM.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available