Thread: ToS Question

ToS Question

On one particular host with absurd plans (1TB+ BW) for $5 or less, I was reading the terms of service and came across this:

In order to keep our servers running at optimal levels, any sites running a process that requires more than 8MB of memory, more than 30 CPU seconds, or uses more than 10% of all available system resources at any time will be required to move up to an Intense Hosting or dedicated solution, or to be hosted elsewhere.
    I was just wondering if the 8MB of memory and 30 CPU seconds line is ridiculous, I'm not really sure what an average process would consume, basically would many people run into an issue with exceeding that, or is it really not relevant?
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

Yes, these things are usually not monitored too heavily, but it would be easy to overexceed those limits.

The bottom line is that if you're running a non-static HTML site, you must be prepared to receive notices from your host that you've exceeded the limits for shared hosting - many forums (as an example) can be resource-intensive due to bugs or sheer traffic.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Alright, thanks guys. Just trying to figure out how companies which oversell absurd amounts of resources get away with it.

The 30 seconds of CPU time sounds ok, but the 8MB of memory is pretty low. You should at least get a max of 40 - 50mb. Honestly with hosting you get what you pay for, don't be expecting 1 TB of transfer for a penny...

Yeah I realize that you're clearly not going to be getting 1.2 TB of bandwith for $3 a month, I'm just trying to understand how they can offer plans like that and then not follow through by creating loopholes like this in their terms of service.

The thing is whilst its there people don't read it. I updated our TOS to include a clause which basically said that if you mentioned a certain code when ordering you would get a months free. Now out of nearly 10,000 impressions on that page 1 person ordered with the code and 1 other mentioned it. I will leave you to draw your own conclusions
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Well it's good to know, the majority of consumers are clearly uneducated in the area of hosting companies overselling and their false promises so I'll just exploit it to my advantage with my company

EDIT: not meaning I'm going to oversell lol, meaning I'm going to attempt to educate them

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    Well it's good to know, the majority of consumers are clearly uneducated in the area of hosting companies overselling and their false promises so I'll just exploit it to my advantage with my company

EDIT: not meaning I'm going to oversell lol, meaning I'm going to attempt to educate them
    I wish you good luck on that. Many people don't know and don't care how these
    things go, they care only about getting results from what they're willing to pay.

If you're going to educate them like you say, I suggest getting them to signup for
    some kind of mailing list, complete with confirmed optin. Then send out weekly or
    monthly newsletters for confirmed memebrs to digest at their leisure.

Well I mean I don't plan to drown them in unecessary information, but I've had people show me some host offering 1TB of bandwith and be like well why should I pick you when I can get this, I just think it would help for them to understand some concepts such as overselling.