Do you recommend CDGCommerce? Also, need some help understanding the process.

I am rather new to the hosting industry, and I heard from other larger hosts that you shoud wait awhile before signing up with a CC processing company.

Well, I am going for a market that would be much more apt. to have credit cards than paypal accounts. So, I have decided to sign up with CDGCommerce (or am in the process of) because someone sent me a promo link.

So I began that process, just waiting to hear from a rep so we can talk about things.

Also, I was wondering if I had the idea right ... CDGCommerce processes the cards through the gateway Authorize.net? And clients can pay with credit card using Authorize.net services through ClientExec?

Lastly, there is a monthly rate when using these services, and also a percentage taken out of every transaction ... correct?

If thats it, then I think I understand and everything should go smooth. If anyone has any tips or pointers / advice for me, let me know!

-Sam
    HostingChoice Web Hosting and Consulting Services
    Host unlimited Domains, MySQL Databases, E-mail Addresses, and FTP Accounts.

Visit us today - http://www.hostingchoice.net

I was in the middle of the signup process with CDG when I discovered Wellsfargo who had better rates. My company ended up going with WF and we couldn't be happier.

Alright ... but ... which gateway do they use?

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Sam
    Alright ... but ... which gateway do they use?
    I would highly recommend reading their website if you are considering doing business with them....

http://www.cdgcommerce.com/services/payment.php

We been using cdgcommerce.com for a good year now. Service has been A+, would recommend them.

We process visa, mc, amex and discover.

I was referring to wellsfargo.

I know that CDG uses Authorize.net

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Sam
    I was referring to wellsfargo.

I know that CDG uses Authorize.net
    Sorry, I saw the same question sort of stated in your original post so I assumed you were asking about CDG.

Wellsfargo uses Authorize.NET and has other options available like Cybersource.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/biz/merch.../gateways/ima/

well im waiting back for my quotes on both, ill let you know what I decide to do. I was a little overwhelmed at wellsfargo, there are A LOT of other things you can get.

I've been using CDG for several years now with no major complaints. One minor complaint is their customer support, however. They don't use a helpdesk system, which is not necessarily bad, but for some reason they don't even bother to include your original query in their email response; so it sometimes happens that I've forgotten what I had asked by the time I receive their reply, which is especially annoying when they fail to address all of my questions, and I have to dig through my sent mail to find my initial query (assuming that it hasn't been deleted already).

This, along with their website, which I've never cared for, in gives CDG a slightly less than professional image, in my opinion.

But overall I think they are trustworthy and competent.
    Grant Spy "The grant-seeker's intelligence source"

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Stein
    Sorry, I saw the same question sort of stated in your original post so I assumed you were asking about CDG.

Wellsfargo uses Authorize.NET and has other options available like Cybersource.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/biz/merch.../gateways/ima/
    I don't know what CDG's rates are but the rate listed on the Wells site seems a little high to me: 2.40% + $0.30. I wonder what their rate is with the gateway fees unbunded? Depending on your average ticket amount and total volume, you may see a significat savings unbundling the two. Try to include this in your cost comparison.
    --Steve (blog)

Shift4 Corporation -- Secure payment processing

Quote Originally Posted by shift4sms
    I don't know what CDG's rates are but the rate listed on the Wells site seems a little high to me: 2.40% + $0.30. I wonder what their rate is with the gateway fees unbunded? Depending on your average ticket amount and total volume, you may see a significat savings unbundling the two. Try to include this in your cost comparison.
    I am not sure of the rate my company has; it may be better than what is listed on the site. What I found was the downgrade fee with CDG would apply to many transactions and therefore WF less expensive for my company.

Thanks for the kind words, Truz & Spridel.

In answer to one of the questions posed here, we actually support many different payment gateway options. CDGcommerce is the merchant processor and then the payment gateway can be any one of several options - whichever works best for the merchant's needs.

I would say that a fairly large % of our merchants utilize the Authorize.Net, ePN and iTransact options at this very moment of time. The popularity of Authorize.Net is primarily due to its widespread compatibility with almost every shopping cart and billing app on the market and its brand recognition.

One other quick note to address Spridel's question... we do have a help desk and in fact it has been upgraded this year to even include an automatic knowledge base tie-in that has really been a big help to a lot of our merchants.

You can log into your MerchantPortal with us and view both open and closed tickets and it lists the entire history of the ticket along with all responses. In fact, a LOT has changed on our MerchantPortal interface over the last year so you may want to take a peek when you get a moment as there are a lot of new tools that might be helpful for any existing CDG merchant.

In terms of the question on rates, I really can't comment on that due to the forum TOS but I will say that in general - I think that you will find most Internet processing rates to be in the same general ballpark from one merchant processor to another. Especially for a startup merchant, a rate difference + or - a few basis points doesn't equate to much. As such, I would also suggest the focus to be more on the service side and what kind of technology and service benefits are included with the solution. You'll also want to try to keep your monthly cost outlays to a minimum. For a larger volume merchant, naturally the transaction pricing plays a larger role and the monthly cost component is fairly minimal.

However, a few key things that sometime differ quite a bit from one processor to another and which are good to ask about include:

1. Is there any kind of early termination fee at all if I cancel my account for any reason?

2. Is there any kind of monthly minimum cost that I will incur each month? What are my total fixed monthly costs?

3. What are my total transaction costs and what kinds of cards are Qualified vs. Non-Qualified?

4. What payment gateway options are available and can I move to another gateway at a later time if needed?

5. How are risk issues and chargeback processing matters handled? Do I receive notice online, via e-mail or just via mail?

6. What kind of technical support is provided for my account or is this relegated only to the payment gateway provider?

7. What % of your merchant base is Internet merchants vs. retail accounts?

8. Are you an agent for an ISO/MSP or an actual registered ISO/MSP? If not, who is the ISO/MSP that you represent?

9. Please outline what services you provide - beyond the standard AVS & CVV - to help merchants reduce their risk of fraud.

10. Please outline how merchant changes can be made on my account and how I can access reports online and if there are any fees for any of these.

Hope the info is helpful! And good luck with your search.
    Last edited by cdgcommerce; 10-11-2006 at 11:03 AM.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Wow, CDGcommerce is actually a member at WHT

Thats impressive

Well, I have been contacted by a sales representative and we are going to work things out. Thanks for your input everyone, and cdgcommerce, I appreciate the help.

-Sam

We've been with CDG for several years now and can recommend them 100%.

I have no idea what are their rates at the moment, because honestly.. there are more important things to worry about then a few hundredth of a percent.

CDG has always been reliable to answer support/service questions and issues.. and to us, having a highly reliable "partner" to process our billing transactions is definately worth the few extra bucks it might be costing us, compared to some low-cost provider where service/support stinks.

Consider the following about "web hosting industry' in general:

Would you pick your server or management provider, simply because they are the cheapest? No? Then why would you do this for your merchant account.

As I said, I recommend CDG 100% and am confident you will be satisfied with them.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Thanks very much for the nice words, mrzippy.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!