Question How can i shift big files from a shared host to a VPS?

Hello friends

Once again i need your help, i need to know how can i shift my site files from my site5 shared hosting account to a new VPS?

File size is about 1.5-2gb

At site5 i can have shell access activated..anyway to simply shift the directory ...like transloading??

Somebody told me that you can easily shift files with a ftp client?? is that possible??

I have WSFTP on my pc and FlashFXP on my friend's laptop (that i can use to shift files) ...please friends..somebody please teach me step by step

Many many thanks to all

If both the VPS and your exsting provider runs cPanel there is an easy interface to take each domain and it's content + password, databases and mail settings over.

I am sure the other major panels have similar capabilities.
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

Currently i am on Site5.com's custom built control panel. There is no option for remote server backup that normally all cPanel panel based accounts have

I've never used Site5, is their panel a reskin of cPanel or a truly custom control panel? If you're unsure try yourdomain.com:2082
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

It sort of custom design..and has almost all cPanel features... but its total crap (

Unfortunately one of the missing CPanel features is the full backup, which would be quite useful in this situation...

Try this for transferring your files (from ssh in your site5 home directory):
    Code:
    rsync -avz public_html/ vps_account_name@vps_host_name:public_html
    You can probably use the built-in backup and restore for databases, aliases and filters.

HTH

Edit: use the vps IP instead of it's hostname if its the same domain on site5
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

So you say you have shell access on the shared? Your VPS has an FTP server right? Seems like you could just FTP the file from the shell over to the VPS server?
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

or just use scp and do a recursive copy to the VPS.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

If the VPS has shell, can you set up an FTP account on the old site and then use the linux ftp program on the new site to transfer the file?

Also, you can use PHP/Curl + ftp to get the files. This would require programming
    Computer: A machine that can make the wrong decision faster that you!