Thread: Fraud orders

Fraud orders

We've just received a very, very large order - and at first, it looked legitimate, phone number matched the state, address was real.

But, being it was so large, I looked deeper. It struck me as a little odd that the name on the credit card was very different from the person who ordered the hosting. It also struck me as odd that they lived in different states, with different surnames and the like.

It again struck me as odd that the IP address used for ordering, at first look, resolved to the signup state, but dnstools pointed out that it was actually an Australian IP

So, I marked it as fraud and refunded the payment. However, is there any chance it could get charged back or held as fraudulent while the refund is pending? They paid through PayPal as unregistered, so I did the refund through PayPal's interface.

Any help for this would be great;

Thanks

I suggest contacting PayPal about this issue and explaining what you have received. Generally they will handle it and proceed with what is nessaccary.

- Steve

Right now it's still likely listed as just a 'pending payment.' If the refund is processed by Paypal in time, which it likely will be, there probably won't be a problem.

Also, you could give Paypal a call to let them know you feel the order is a fraud. They'll pass it on to the credit card company, and have them investigate further.

PayPal doesn't provide phone support this late, so I'll call in the morning. In the meantime, I wrote them a pleasant email. Any other steps I can take now?

I wouldnt worry too much - you've done your part in issuing the refund, paypal cant ask for more than that. Report it to paypal and dont worry.