Lightbulb Q about Ded servers for a n00b

Hello all -

I am new to all of this and I just found this forum and its helping alot. Here is what I am looking to do on my cpu then maybe you folks can assist me further

I only basically upload files to usenet with power post and I will use torrents as well. My local connection is terrible and I am tired of the slow speeds and I want to go fast like alot of folks I see.

I saw a few while torrenting on FDC servers and a few on reversesoftlayered (not sure if that is correct) and I looked at the respective sites and I think this is what I am looking for.

I just really want the ability to remotely connect to the server and FLY with thier speed instead of my ISP and be able to surf the net, download, upload with them. Anyone have a recommendation for me? I been leaning towards FDC it seems reasonable although getting answers seem tough from them makes me a little timid. They do offer a plan I like 129.00 a month with 100mbit dedicated unmetered but I am not sure if I need 100mbit that is quite fast

I hope this makes sense and I hope you can assist.

Thanks for any help

cant edit sorry. The B/W plans I may be wrong about just what I read there I know the AUP/TOS state differently. Just need a few of Try here. I like that price range or lower I cannot afford higher so I would certainly be willing to lose some speed go ro 10 or 20mb instead to hopefully lower cost but if FDC is good I am going with them please help

FDC is not the best, but if you wanting something cheap, probably the best route for you. That $129/month you stated is 100Mbit unmetered but not dedicated.

out of that 100Mbit you can probably get between 20-40Mbit. As that is a shared connection.

oh I see Ty cheyenne very much. Actually good then hehe since little ol me certainly does not need 100mbit.

Are there any others out there you can recommend that are unmetered/dedicated about the same speeds as them or slower a bit?

If I can use remote and have that speed I have accomplished what I set out to do. I just looked @ softlayer and looks good as well but just slightly higher but again looks fine to me. Just let me upload with speed and I will pay

Thanks again

Your not going to find any dedicated unmtered servers really for under $129.

Layered tech as a server with a 10Mbps Dedicated unmetered port for $199.

Thats probably about the lowest you will see for unmtered server.

Now you can find servers for around that price with 100mbit ports that are fully burstable, but you can only use about 1200-2000GB per month on those servers.

Companies like Servermatrix, Layeredtech, Voxrox etc offer servers such as those.

Your given a 100Mbit port, and you can use the full 100, but your only allowed to use your allotted bandwidth.

You can probably get between 20-40Mbps upload on the FDC server, however don't plan on using the full 100Mbps.

You have helped me so much you have no idea..... For a week I have been reading about this.... How to get more speed remotely and go fast like the others guys

Its crystal clear how you explained it. I will for now give FDC a try next week and if worse comes to worse I will stop and lose some money then go looking for another such as layered or I will post here again for help. FDC I hope will be fine and I will call it a learning tool if not. 20-40 Mbps is more than enough for what I desire. Just tired of upping somethat that takes 4 hours on my current connection so 150 is well worth it.

Thanks again. Great site and great help..............

EdV

Would like to clarify one thing.

I made it sound like Layeredtech, voxrox, Servermatrix etc only offer servers that let you use a Allotted about of bandwidth. That is not the case, they also have unmetered servers, but they are considered higher quality as it is a dedicated connection, and you can actually use the full pipe.

thanks cheyenne

I was looking at a few. Was interested in leaseweb but I believe they only offer a 3 month contract and to be honest I am totally new to this (quite obvious) and I did not want to be locked into anything. One month is fine if I cant work it out I can just lose a little money NP

Any other recommendations anyone?

100mb with 2000 a month in BW with windows is all I need really. 10mb dedicated with no monthly limit would be even better that is plenty fast for me but I dont see how for what I am going to use it for I would even come close to 2000 a month in usage.

I appreciate any and all advice or recommendations I have been reading for what seems like days

Thanks

Ed

I have a server with bestofdata.com, (dedibox.fr resellers) and able to push at least 50mbit at any time I would like to. (shoutcasting).

Overnight, for a period of 4 hours, I was at 95-98mbit constantly.

FDCServers I hear is very good though, I would like to try them one day. They're running low end specials also, look at their forums.

EddieV, I'm a little confused about what you want with your server.

It seems as if you want to ditch your ISP and use the server for internet access?
    THis is not going to happen.
    You still need your own ISP internet access to actually use the server, as such your ISP's connection is the weakest link.
    You will not be able to upload at the servers speed from your own local machine.

Maybe I just missunderstood you, but just in case..

Yes I understand I dont plan on ditching my ISP - I might be misinformed or mis read all of this. I thought that I could remotely connect to the server and upload my files from the server with those speeds. I am new and still learning so more than likely I am wrong

Back to reading I go..............

Thanks
    Last edited by EddieV; 10-16-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Upload what from where?
    If you upload from your home to the server you will upload at your ISP's speed.

As I see it, this is what you want to do:

Your ISP connection doesn't let you upload that fast to other users....you want a dedicated server so that you can upload files you've downloaded from your home connection, and upload those to your server. Where from your server you will share the files so you can share some files you've uploaded at a faster connection than what you have at home.

Yes Cheyenne that is partly what I was thinking but after reading what you wrote it now makes sense to me that its defeating the purpose hehe. If I had to upload them from my machine to the server it would only go @ 1mbs (my up connection) and from the server then it would go fast. So again it now makes sense that I cannot do what I want to do

I saw alot of folks mainly who upload torrents, I am not talking about torrents for my uses but that is where I got the "thoughts" from. A few were members or owners of servers that are mentioned on these forums ie fdc, layered etc and yes they upload very quick. My purposes were more intended to upload files to the net or friends at a quick speed. I am a avid user of Newsgroups and 1mbs is slow for the amount of files I upload there a day. I upload apprx 50-150G a month to them.

I guess I am stuck doing it how I have been for good

Thanks for the clearing it up for me if I am understanding it properly now

Ed

I was thinking I could download them to the server and then turn around and up them hehe guess that is not how it works but I tried..
    Last edited by EddieV; 10-16-2006 at 03:00 AM.

Well, glad you got that worked out eddie.. Sorry to hear it didn't work though :/

1Mbps upload isn't to shabby for a home connection :p

I'm still @ 256K Upload on my home DSL connection.

Hehe I guess your right I should not be upset. I am not really just a tad disappointed I thought the nice speeds were finally coming my way. The money was never an issue

I thank you and coax and the others who posted in other threads I read. I learned alot about other things so nothing is lost only gained.

Regards
    Ed