Thread: Hosting Noobie

Hosting Noobie

Well as the title says i'm new to this. I was just wondering since all you seem to know, what should I need to run a Web-hosting Site.

Phone software?
    Support Software?
    Billing Software?

Also storing peoples information, what software could be used?

Is all this software even nessasary?

Not sure what exactly you need but here you go.

Phone Software: Skype?
    Support Software: Kayako
    Billing Software: ClienExec

Zac
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Thanks mate, what about storing peoples information?

Most billing software will do this for you. I'd also find a backup solution, and maybe a friendly sysadmin.

sysadmin? I'm new so if you could please provide much information.

Also back to Phone Verifcation, On some hosting sites they have Phone Verification, they call instent (it's a recording).

Friend said it's VOip?

My brother-in-law has a friend who "knows all about computers" and he says that all of that software is NOT necessary. He says it will just bog the server down. He also says don't waste your time with control panel software, just make everyone use the shell. Oh, and make sure they each have full root privileges.

However, he said if you decided you just had to have all that cool software and didn't know anything about web hosting, you could just sign up with a reputable re-seller host that provided all the backend software and services (including transparent support). Then all you would have to do is worry about marketing your site and collecting the money.

P.S. If you are planning on using your handle for your company name, you may want to register that domain before someone else does

Quote Originally Posted by devtx
    My brother-in-law has a friend who "knows all about computers" and he says that all of that software is NOT necessary. He says it will just bog the server down. He also says don't waste your time with control panel software, just make everyone use the shell. Oh, and make sure they each have full root privileges.

However, he said if you decided you just had to have all that cool software and didn't know anything about web hosting, you could just sign up with a reputable re-seller host that provided all the backend software and services (including transparent support). Then all you would have to do is worry about marketing your site and collecting the money.

P.S. If you are planning on using your handle for your company name, you may want to register that domain before someone else does
    To late, I've already registered it... I'll sell it to whomever in 60 days...

*JOKE*

Quote Originally Posted by YourReliableHost
    sysadmin? I'm new so if you could please provide much information.

Also back to Phone Verifcation, On some hosting sites they have Phone Verification, they call instent (it's a recording).

Friend said it's VOip?
    Alright, a sysadmin is short for a system administrator. He / she can help you out when something doesn't work right that the panel cant do for you already. They can also harden the server(s) (make them more secure), among other tasks you will probably face if you get up and running. The phone verification can be done, and some hosts DO use it. Some services cost about 50 cents per call, and go up from there. The whole VoIP is based on what your third party phone verification service uses...

You can start off either with a reseller account from another hosting company, a VPS (virtual private server, let me know if you need clarification on that), or a full fledge dedicated server. I would mention colocation, but that might not be in your best interest if just starting out. I say take it from there and if you have any more narrowed down questions to simply post back and we all can take a effort to help you.

I have a reseller from kevhosting.com. Now I got all the software planned out, I need to move on to site, what would be my best source for a site HTML?

I remember kebhosting.com's website template. I think X9 Hosting use to use that.

Like you said, all the software is there, so the next step would be to find a website template, intergrate it into your order forms, then set up the rest of WHM / Cpanel.

Have you registered your domain yet? What about an SSL cert for your orders, or will you be using a self signed?

Finding a template is fairly easy, use google. You can find free templates (usually pretty shotty designs) or you can find a cheap payed for template. It will usually come in .psd (photoshop / gimp) format, and you will have to turn it into a proper html layout. You could also pay someone to do this for you, if web design isnt your thing. Just as a personal recommendation, dont use flash templates... Flash was not designed for use on websites such as this, or for any website for that matter! For instance, kevhosting.com's template annoys me to no end with the noise I get from the flash every time I switch a page!

This would be better off in the Running a Host forums.

Domain getting now, and if someone could set me up with doing the template, pages, etc. I would glady pay.

Have you found a template yet? You can start a thread in the employment forums for the custom work for the template.

Domain getting now, and if someone could set me up with doing the template, pages, etc. I would glady pay.
    You can purchase a template from places like templatemonster, or simply search for "hosting templates" on google, that'll help you..and those templates aren't expensive, but are not unique for your site alone.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Thanks mate, what about storing peoples information?
    ClientExec does that.

Hello,
    Just for your information. We are in the process of redesigning our site. For order verification, we use Varilogix. We found their solution to integrate into Modernbill very well. For our main line, and fax line we picked Vonage. They are great for long-distance calls, and charge much less than most POTS carriers. Kayako's Support Suite is a great all-around program that allows you to access live chat, knowledge base, and ticket support all from one simple interface.
    Kevhosting.com -
    High quality hosting, resellers and VPS packages.

Quote Originally Posted by kevhosting
    Hello,
    Just for your information. We are in the process of redesigning our site. For order verification, we use Varilogix. We found their solution to integrate into Modernbill very well. For our main line, and fax line we picked Vonage. They are great for long-distance calls, and charge much less than most POTS carriers. Kayako's Support Suite is a great all-around program that allows you to access live chat, knowledge base, and ticket support all from one simple interface.
    Yea, no one seems to keep that template very long.

Moved to Running a Web Hosting Business.