Upgrade MySQL on a VPS. HOw hard?

I run a discussion forum that uses a forum software that currently requires MySQL 3+ or higher. My current VPS is running 3.X so all is well. However, several months ago I bought a new forum package that needs MySQL 4+ or better.

Due to some speed issues I've been having, my IP has been promising they are going to move me to a new/improved server that will include latest OS, Plesk, and MySQL 4.X. The problem is there is some billing software (I think) that they are waiting for a new version before they can make the move. I'm not trying to be impatient, but I've had this new forum software for month now and can't try it until I can get MySQL 4 or better.

So, my question is this. While I'm waiting for them to get the new billing software and get me moved to a faster/better server, is it possible for me to upgrade MySQL on my own VPS, or is MySQL something that is installed for all VPSs on a server? If it is something I can upgrade for my own VPS, how difficult is it to do the upgrade?

Thanks,
    wingtip

You can do this with a few caveats.

1. Find out the configure options of your current mysql installation and make sure that you new installation uses separate library, binary and database locations.

2. Run the instance on a separate port eg 3308, rather than 3306, and a different socket, and all applications which have to use that mysql will also need the configuration to be changed in order to use the new port.

3. Because your current init.d scripts start your old sql, you will have to adjust them to start the new instance on as well.

There are a few other things besides but if you study the my.cnf options and the ./configure options properly it should be doable.

To keep things neat try this first.

Check out the my.cnf options and try to start an instance of the current version, running database files from a different location and a different port, and see if you can switch some of your current apps to run on that instance.

If you can get that working well why not bite the bullet and go up to MySQL 5, PHP 5 and Apache 2.2.3 as well. . The methods are all similar.

Some of your scripts though may not be compatible with them

Quote Originally Posted by wingtip
    I run a discussion forum that uses a forum software that currently requires MySQL 3+ or higher. My current VPS is running 3.X so all is well. However, several months ago I bought a new forum package that needs MySQL 4+ or better.

Due to some speed issues I've been having, my IP has been promising they are going to move me to a new/improved server that will include latest OS, Plesk, and MySQL 4.X. The problem is there is some billing software (I think) that they are waiting for a new version before they can make the move. I'm not trying to be impatient, but I've had this new forum software for month now and can't try it until I can get MySQL 4 or better.

So, my question is this. While I'm waiting for them to get the new billing software and get me moved to a faster/better server, is it possible for me to upgrade MySQL on my own VPS, or is MySQL something that is installed for all VPSs on a server? If it is something I can upgrade for my own VPS, how difficult is it to do the upgrade?

Thanks,
    wingtip