Wondering if this is possible....

I am not new to hosting, as i have had reseller accounts, but figured it was time for me to move up to a VPS so that i can learn how to do things myself (the companies i am going to go with will help me if i can't do something, so i can learn as i go) now for the question... (both accounts will have root access)

Windows= Standard 2003 (plesk)

Linux= Ubuntu Server 6.06 (vhcs)

I will be purchasing a VPS running plesk on windows.... and a vps running linux with VHCS... they are at two different locations and two different providers.... i was wondering if there was a way to use the same dns servers for both of them (or point the linux one at the windows one so that when i enter a domain if it is not found in the windows one it will send the request to the linux one)
    so that when i do subdomain hosting i can give either linux or windows

sorry if this sounds stupid, but i have not really played much with dns, just basic networking....

thank you in advance....

Hello Spiritedone,

Yes, you should be able to use the same nameservers to serve websites hosted on 2 different servers. When you create a new website, either on your Windows or Linux VPS, you will just have to create a zone file with the correct IP for this domain on your nameserver.

i would have to have step by steps on how to do that (as i said new to the whole unmanaged thing lol) but resources on how to do it would be great....also would it work with shared ip addresses?

Hmm it's kind of difficult to give you no-brainer instructions without knowing your exact configuration, but with your help I can help you setting the nameserver and apache's configuration on your linux server. I personnaly don't use apache on windows but you can maybe use this information to figure out how to do it. I need you to answer some questions:

On the nameserver:
    -is it a linux box?
    -do you have root acces?
    -which version of bind are you running? (you can check it with 'named -v')

On the linux server:
    -which version of apache are you running?