Arrow For a file sharing site : it is enought a VPS hosting or I need a Dedicated server .?

hello
    I have a plan to make a free file sharing site open to all public like Rapidshare.de ot Megaupload ; But i dont dont if it is enought to bigin with a VPS and upfrade to dedicated server later . OR I must begin with a dedicated server ?
    the problem is i dont know i my project will succes or not . for this reason i want to see first if the project iwill have a good results in the first months . then i will decide .??

another thing :
    for the site I dont want to have a strict servers because Im sure that people will upload some illegal content , so Im affraid of some problems of copyrights , because normally i will have an abuse link to Know the illegal files and delete it , but some time i will be busy wilth my work; and im affraid to be late on deleting it .so im thinking on that

Please any suggestion
    thanks

http://www.google.nl/search?q=free+file+upload
    I would think again before starting such site. Since rapidshare started hunderds of those sites were setup...and none of them are popular

a VPS usually has a very low traffic limit. If somebody uploads a 200MB file, which is downloaded 1000 times, it will use up 200GB of your bandwidth limit. Thats more than the bandwidth allotment on a typical VPS.

Plus in that case you would also only get 1000 pageviews. With a (very high!) CPM of $1 that will make...well, $1 exactly. I dont think you'll find a VPS for $1. (In other words: This will not be profitable on a small scale).

a vps? u need servers! no a even one server (well when ur starting off 1 is enough)

also dont use apache, look into lighttpd, and from the very start make sure u can scale

from personal experience bandwidth is high but not the bottleneck its harddrive space

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    a vps? u need servers! no a even one server (well when ur starting off 1 is enough)

also dont use apache, look into lighttpd, and from the very start make sure u can scale

from personal experience bandwidth is high but not the bottleneck its harddrive space
    How much bandwith do you use each month ?
    do you know fast and cheap dedicated server where to go ? something under the 100$/month ..

and what about managing a server . I dont know anything about it !!

Spipo,

First of all, with the bandwidth expected to be used by your site and HDD space you'll be needing..finding something below $100 would be quite difficult if not science fiction all together..You'll also need a powerful processor to handle the visitors you'll be getting..you'll need to add at the very very least another $50-$80 to get a PIV
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

but the first months I will only see the results . I think that (500GB) enought for the first months then i will upgrade .
    the only difficult thing for me is the management . I dobt know anything about managing a server .
    Is this easy ?

By the way what is a "PIV" ?

Quote Originally Posted by spipo
    but the first months I will only see the results . I think that (500GB) enought for the first months then i will upgrade .
    the only difficult thing for me is the management . I dobt know anything about managing a server .
    Is this easy ?

By the way what is a "PIV" ?
    Managing a server for a newbie would be difficult.
    You have 2 choices:
    1. Get a managed server, which means that the DataCenter will take care of the server for you
    2. Hire a management team like touchsupport.com for example that will also do the work for you.

PIV= Pentium 4
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Going dedicated would be the best option. There is a big misconception about vps and its use. It is mainly meant to give you a more controlled enviroment not performance a vps that is

go dedicated. Like layeredtech.com