Thread: 1and1 caution

1and1 caution

I have a client who registered their domain with 1and1 and signed up for a hosting account with them. They decided to get me to build them a new website and move their hosting to my company.

So I went into their 1and1 account (they gave me permission since they didnt really know that they were doing) and I tried to change the dns servers for their domain. Well there was no way of doing this.

I contacted support and asked how I could cancel the account and they gave me a link to cancel.1and1.com to send in the cancellation notice. I also asked them if I would gain access to the domain name dns setting after cancellation but they didn't reply to this question.

So I sent them a second message I asked them if I cancel the hosting account will I gain access to the domain names dns setting. Well I got no reply to that.

So next day I phoned 1and1 and asked. If I follow the cancellation procedure on the account will I gain access to the domain name settings. Well the guy on the phone told me "No" Since you need a hosting account to have a domain with 1and1. HUH?

So I asked him what will happen to the domain name when I cancel the hosting account? He said it gets released. I'm like WTF? What do you mean released? He said again, it's released and there will be no access to it to make any changes.

So I asked him what happens when the domain needs to be renewed. He said you need to transfer the domain to another registrar. He also said to transfer the domain name to another registrar first before cancelling the hosting account as it may cause issues when a domain transfer is requested after the hosting account has been removed.

Well after that I just hung up on the guy.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

You can have domains without a hosting account. I did it. "Upgrade" your account type to the 1 and 1 instant domain. Costs nothing.

Unfortunately this sort of thing happens when: a) you expect the registrar to be
    just like every other registrar, and b) you don't check the fine prints before signing
    up with them. I've read this sort of thing happen to a couple of others.

We need a reality check here: don't expect provider B to do what provider A does.
    Each is different in their own way, and try to determine whatever you can if the
    provider in question can meet what you expect.

If they can't, then don't use them. You might save yourself unnecessary f***ups
    just because you want to save money or something.

What's the domain name's current status, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan
    What's the domain name's current status, if any?
    I've initiated a transfer to a new registrar but 1and1 hasn't approved it yet.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

i think namecheap is the best registrar for domains

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver
    I've initiated a transfer to a new registrar but 1and1 hasn't approved it yet.
    They don't need to. 5 days and domain should be released by default.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).