Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabanza

Alabanza

Can someone please tell me the latest status of Alabanza?

- Prices?
    - Quality of support?
    - Quality of network?
    - Reliability of company?

Thanks.

They've got quite outrageous prices, but then you have to think of what you're getting. They have very good support and they pre-install a ton of stuff on your server. Plus, the servers are managed. It comes out to be about a minimum of $650/month for a basic server with like 50GB bandwidth. So if you're reselling, I don't recommend them.

Basically we are not reselling. Approx 75% is for our internal use. The most important thing to us is Alabanza's network and company stability. That is why the message was posted.

We were offerred the followings at $299/mth and $500 setup:

P-III 550
    512 MB RAM
    9 GB SCSI Drive
    50 Gb Transfer/mth

I know that the prices are high especially for the $500 setup. But we have a few reasons why we are interested in their offer:

- They are not a reseller. We previously hosted our websites with Cedant. When they decided to leave Alabanza lately (which have caused a disaster to both companies - tons of angry subscribers for the former and financial losses for the latter), all our accounts were badly affected. We received tons of complaints and until now, some scripts do not work.

- They do not charge for additional IPs. That means we can create as many websites as we like provided that the space/bandwidth is not exceeded.

- We are new to dedicated server management. The web-based automation control such as accounts creation, automated billing, reporting, IPs assignment ..... are easy to use. We could not resist this even we know that Cedant now has a much better connection compared to Alabanza.

- Our only complaint is that the additional bandwidth cost is too high ($5 per Gb).

Originally posted by SuperBaby

- They do not charge for additional IPs. That means we can create as many websites as we like provided that the space/bandwidth is not exceeded.
    Actually....read the terms of the contract closely on this issue, as it can add a significant cost to the server. Alabanza charge for control panels over x (where x used to be 35), which basically amounts to them charging per IP over x since all accounts are IP-based. A large number of accounts can dramatically change the price you wind up paying for a server. Server management is not that difficult these days, even for people with little to no experience, given the number of control options available. Personally, based on experience, I'd recommend someone other than Alabanza.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    Superior service. Sensible price.

You mentioned you were with Cedant which was with Alabanza. I was just wondering if Alabanza contaced you, or if you contacted Alabanza regarding moving directly with them?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

It was Alabanza who contacted me via the phone first. They told me that too many Cedant customers called up to file complaints with them and they decided to act. When I checked this up with Cedant, they told me that Alabanza locked their server access when they realized Cedant was moving away. Also, it was claimed that Alabanza has "stolen" their customer contacts (that was how they could reach me in the first place). Cedant also said that they, together with another big company whom I do not know who, have filed a law suit against Alabanza for this unethical act.

However, it was just a one-side story and I really do not know who is the melon and who is the cucumber. Alabanza might have their own reasons why they think contacting us is appropriate. The case was made even more complicated when Cedant is acquired by APlus.net (so Cedant is basically not Cedant anymore).

Quoting a PM reply from Chicken the Moderator:

=======================
    This is a detail of the jumpline/alabanza issue:

http://upgrade.jumpline.com/upgrade_information.phtml#

This part pertains directly to the issue:

February 7, 2002

We received notification from our previous network provider (Alabanza) that our contract would be terminated on or before March 7, 2002. This news was very unexpected, forcing us to expedite our schedule to ensure that all of our hosted accounts were moved before our servers were ‘unplugged’. Regarding Alabanza, we are pursuing all necessary avenues in this matter.
    Janwawa Group Tour Management
    - http://janwawa.com

I've been talking with SuperBaby about how all of this sounds very familiar. I know this forum was at one time *very* Alabanza based (many might not know this, and instead of RS this and that, it was Alabanza this and that, heh), and I was wondering, are there any larger Alabanza'ers still here? Not sure if the migration period wiped out the Alabanza presence at WHT?

• Chicken

I've been talking with SuperBaby about how all of this sounds very familiar. I know this forum was at one time *very* Alabanza based (many might not know this, and instead of RS this and that, it was Alabanza this and that, heh),
    I remember. It seems that things have been like this when boiled down over the years.

1) Cobalt RAQ2s and RAQ3s ==>
    2) Alabanza Host ==>
    3) CPanel (allows people to buy just the software from neutral facilities ==>
    4) Plesk and Ensim ==>
    5) RackShack ==>

Whats next ?????????

So is $299/month the going rate for a

P-III 550
    512 MB RAM
    9 GB SCSI Drive
    50 Gb Transfer/mth

from Alanabza these days? Seems alot less than last time I saw a price quoted.

Most probably because a lot of hardware is in the warehouse after Jumpline and Cedant left.

Well remember, they used to offer something like that for $400, but that didn't last past the contract and everyone freaked out when the prices tripled and more. Didn't people end up paying $1,600+ for a server like that with 50 GB of transfer?

• Chicken

We are still with Alabanza and hating every minute of it. Support has gotten better though. I think that if they had kept prices at a NORMAL rate, this would still be an Alabanza based forum.

We are still looking for an alternative... Why can't someone design a better system??? I mean come on, their freakin control panel is what, seven years old now!

I do have it from our sale rep that they will be releasing the new CP in a couple of months. He says "It is going to knock everyone's socks off". I bet not as much as their price hike did!

Anywho, happy father's day!

OH, I forgot why I was going to post in the first place....

SuperBaby, if your sites are still Alabanza's servers, they will move them for you with no problems quick and easy like. As for the $1 CP charges, you can get everything setup on your accounts the way you want them and turn the CP's off. You will have to pay for them the first time and each time you turn them back on to make changes. Even if only for a minute.

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by Chicken
    Well remember, they used to offer something like that for $400, but that didn't last past the contract and everyone freaked out when the prices tripled and more. Didn't people end up paying $1,600+ for a server like that with 50 GB of transfer?
    If anyone was saying they were paying that much, though, they were probably including fees for the control panel. The biggest change after the $400 special ended was, as Annette said, that they began charging for each domain that had access to a control panel after the first 35. So if someone has, say, 400 sites on a server for which they're paying $895...

But at the end of the $400 contract it went to $600 for contract renewals (for their "standard server"). The new contract price at that time was $895. About six months ago the price they had listed on their site (sometimes they have prices, sometimes they don't) was $600.

And from a recent email from Alabanza:
    Due to the success of the promotional server pricing that was offered during the month of May, we have decided to extend the promotion through the month of June. All configurations; Standard, ChiliSoft ASP and ColdFusion will continue to be offered at a huge savings[...]

Standard Servers starting at $399.00/month!

ASP Servers starting at $499.00/month!

ColdFusion Servers starting at $799.00/month!
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Re: Alabanza

Can someone please tell me the latest status of Alabanza?

- Prices?
    - Quality of support?
    - Quality of network?
    - Reliability of company?

Thanks.
    Prices - As of 3/19/2002, outrageously overpriced, but things may have changed since then. See here for a price sheet I received from them at that time.

There was a time when they were the only game in town, but these days, there are reliable, established companies offering much more for substantially less. Personally, I'd shop around.

-Bob

I remember when we had a server with a Alabanza it was P3 550Mhz 512MB 50GB bandwidth, 400 extra control panels ($1ea.), and about 50GB extra on top total cost per month $1200.
    Oh, and no support came with this great package.

Why would you consider it if they called you as a Cedant customer? What makes you think they wouldn't do the same to you later?

Hmm, stealing customers from your existing customers - always the sign of a quality business

Alabanza will shaft you, heck, they shafted us before we signed up with them (We didn't know they had till after we'd signed up).

I'd seriously recommend that you look elsewhere if you want a quality provider.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

What would you think if you sign a 12-months contract, monthly payment, with your newspaper, stating they will deliver daily for a monthly fee of 20$? I would think that they will deliver 12 months long and I will pay once a month the agreed price.

Alabanza tought me that a 12-months contract (monthly payment) is in reality a monthly contract which they can modify at any time. They still require from me over 1600 US$ for a contract modification (by them, when they raised their prices) which I never signed!

Doing business with some mafia is more ethical than doing business with them.

kosmo
    http://netenberg.com/
    AccountLab Plus Affordable professional webhosting billing -- Click Be! Building websites as easy as it click be
    Fantastico De Luxe - Install your favourite scripts at a mouse click -- Universina - The CPanel skin with Heart and Soul

I wonder how they can get away with ARIN with free unlimited IP allocation. Do they operate their own registry? Otherwise evetually how would they justify their IP usage to ARIN for more IP?

Peter

Alabanza have a rather large netspace. Given all the people who have left, large and small, they have plenty to recycle.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.

A comment on Alabanza, as they are competition I will try to make this as open and fair as I can. When we started years ago we had as server with them, three customers had owed us a very large balance so we suspended them, next thing we know their control panels and sites were all working 2 minutes after they were suspended.

We found out that Alabanza had contacted them because of the large number of accounts and moved them to their own server behind our back. In turn, we were left with close to $4500 that we had to write off.

After we called Alabanza about this, the replied with "We have a system in place so we can move customers", we said this seems to be very unethical, their response "It's business".

They have great reliability as far as network, however, if you are a reseller that has several customers be forewarned that they have the capability to do this to you.

I really do not understand why Alabanza chose to do these unethical acts. Even a stupid lemon knows not to kill a goose for its golden eggs.

This is extremely strange to me especially when it is an American company we are talking about. It is simply not American style. This is not an act that even the mafia wanted to do.

I agree, it makes no sense, and the comment was in no way an attempt to knock Alabanza. They helped us in many ways getting going, however, the loss in the beginning also hurts... And I know they have done this to many other clients....

* Just signed with Alabanza

After the Cedant nuclear meltdown, I got the same call as a lot of people did from Alabanza Sales. I’m sure as in all stories, there are two sides. Since I’m a journalist, I'm supposed to be unbiased, true to the facts, and not led by my own opinions down the primrose path.

When I got the call, I was knee-deep in “it”. I have many clients and Cedant’s help during the turmoil became less and less, until non-existent. When you get busy signals, “voice-mailbox full, no answer… you have clients sites with compromised functionality, and an inability to publish to an IP address with FrontPage, You have to ask yourself “Do I drink the water or the sand?” Yes, it’s rhetorical!

I had great dealings in the past with Cedant, and I might have stayed with them if they offered in and out SMTP, and a band-aid fix to any of my problems, but I could never get an answer. This went on for two weeks. I’m lying on the floor in a pool of my own blood by a knife with the name Cedant on the back… and along comes a surgical team!

Enter Alabanza – I didn’t have enough clients to justify a dedicated server. Now, remember, I’m creative, I can run some very technical broadcast gear, but I’ve never dealt with a real living server. It scared me (remember honesty?) It scared the #&^@% out of me! Alabanza made me feel welcome. Offered to help walk me through the process. I had no less than 4 different people call me to offer help and advice. Calls came in just to see how I was doing. I took a shot with them and gave them my $299, and my $500 set-up fee, and now I’m in the hosting business for better or worse. When I offer accounts to my clients, I want to treat them like my father treated me. With respect! Alabanza may be guilty of pursuing Cedant’s clients, but so what. What was Cedant doing for me? Loyalty went two weeks, and then I look like the moron.

Rackshack – host-4-life (who’s mine or theirs?) I’m back on the network I was on, the Server interface is great (DSM); the Control panels are Way cool, Clients love the ease!
    I think the people are great, my phone calls get returned. In one instance, I was on the phone with one tech from Alabanza, and the other line rang with a different tech on that line. What do you say to something like that? What can you say? I’m impressed for now. Very impressed. I learned the DSM in about a day, and the hardest part of all of this is trying to get NETSOL and Verio to move my domains to Bulk Register.
    I’m extremely tickled, I’m very happy. Yea, they cost more but so does a Porsche.

For me, it’s more incentive to go out and get the clients. I wish everyone had my common sense… just kidding.

BTW, I’m a real person. I don’t work for any of these people. I have two kids, a business where I wish I could get my clients to pay on-time, balh, blah…

I wish you all happy hosting, inner peace, and a Billion dollar client!
    Rob
    Last edited by Editor1; 06-21-2002 at 01:53 AM.

So I guess you wouldn't bitch if they called up your customers and took them from you? Sounds like the same b.s. you hear - I met her while she was married and we were so in love she left him and we got married...why is she leaving me now for another guy?

Re: Just signed with Alabanza

Originally posted by Editor1
    After the Cedant nuclear meltdown, I got the same call as a lot of people did from Alabanza Sales ... and along comes a surgical team! ... Alabanza made me feel welcome. Offered to help walk me through the process. I had no less than 4 different people call me to offer help and advice. Calls came in just to see how I was doing. I took a shot with them and gave them my $299, and my $500 set-up fee, and now I’m in the hosting business for better or worse. ... Alabanza may be guilty of pursuing Cedant’s clients, but so what. ... I think the people are great, my phone calls get returned. In one instance, I was on the phone with one tech from Alabanza, and the other line rang with a different tech on that line. What do you say to something like that? What can you say? I’m impressed for now. Very impressed. ... Rob
    Rob, marksy gave the great example, I think you're missing the big picture here. The surgical team arrived, however their prints might be on that knife. So what? Why is Hotel California popping into my head?

It is great that you had a positive experience, and that they made you feel welcome (though what else would you expect when they are trying to get you away from their past client?). I've known many people on Alabanza and they might be able to share their experiences (they never indicated that they had to juggle support reps on two differnt lines, heh). Maybe times have changed...

• Chicken

Masseur' Poulet:
    "Oui', Oui' ", he feigned in his worst French Accent... Who knows, and who will ever know?? Except those small people hidden behind dark fan doors, and hinged covers.

Reality check!! If I were Alabanza, I would take this debacle, and turn it around. I’d use the BIG super-conducting – liquid-cooled Public Relations machine, (ya, know pull it out of the closet and dust it of first… so it looked real good) and I would turn around Alabanza, FOREVER. I would make great offers. I’d drop the extra charge for Control Panels (which by the way I wasn’t told about, and in haste, overlooked on the “EXHIBIT ‘A’” ) If they’re watching…shhh, NEVER screw your customer, no matter what. Do what ever it takes to make them happy. Offer continued help. Pick up the phone, and out of the blue, offer any assistance, or even g-d forbid, dare I say it? A discount, a bone, a thanks for being our customer! For new Cedant customers, I would take them in like I came down from Mt. Everest in a frostbit coma. Actually, they did. I’m happy about it.
    They should NEVER look back, and be all things to every customer. That how you treat clients… that’s how you keep clients, that’s how you build trust. That’s what I do in my business, and that how I expect to be treated. If they turn around and screw me, they should take note here, my clients are 20/20, 60 Minutes, Dateline, CNN, and the corporate list is as long as your left leg. I know the NY State Prosecutor, and the NY State Attorney General. It would be in their best interest to take this opportunity, put on a new suit- tie (preferably a nice bow tie), and make amends. Even if you didn’t do anything wrong, you can show that you care about your customers. Even when the client is wrong, they’re right. This is Rule # 1 in business.

"Oui', Oui' ", he feigned in his worst French Accent...

Peace – Good will toward men, women, kids and Dogs (Black Labs!!)
    Still wishing you all a Billion $$$ Client

Rob

Reality check...
    Originally posted by marksy
    I met her while she was married and we were so in love she left him and we got married...why is she leaving me now for another guy?
    At least you'll have a nice story to write. I hope you don't enter in your client's data when a company could pilfer it and get your clients (quote: "Alabanza may be guilty of pursuing Cedant’s clients, but so what.").

Knowing what you know, that wouldn't be all that brilliant now would it?
    Last edited by Chicken; 06-21-2002 at 11:01 AM.

• Chicken

Et tu Brutis??

Yep,
    That's right, and it'd be quite unethical and a breach that would hurt me deeply, but my clients are smarter that that, and in fact have one that would help me sue for free. But, I can’t go down that road. If I do, it’s a slippery slope in believing that everyone everywhere is out to screw you. I want to trust. I want to believe. I want to give the benefit of the doubt.

May I please?

Life is way to short for this kind of crap, and I really wish I could
    “wish it away” but here I am back to my reality check. Pollet’. I’m not going down that road. I spent 3 weeks filming AT Ground Zero. Life is too short.

Damn the Torpedos
    EDITOR1
    Last edited by Editor1; 06-22-2002 at 10:20 AM.

Re: Et tu Brutis??

Yep,
    That's right, and it'd be quite unethical and a breach that would hurt me deeply, but my clients are smarter that that, and in fact have one that would help me sue for free.
    You were quite complimentary towards them when they did it to your host - yet your clients would be smart enough not to go? I'm really not attacking you personally, I was hoping to point out how unethical their contacting you was in the first place. I think the fact you felt somewhat fathered by their gracious offer made me feel like it was a jab at the ethics of the business - it was not ok for them to contact you and was in no way because they felt some moral obligation to your business.
    Good luck with your business, my hope is we all learn that nobody cares as much about your business as you do!

Re: Et tu Brutis??

...but my clients are smarter that that
    You do seem to have the, "I met my wife when she was married to someone else, she left him and now we're married, but she'd never hook up with another guy and leave me" mentality, but I hope everything works out for you.

• Chicken

Re: Re: Et tu Brutis??

Originally posted by Chicken

You do seem to have the, "I met my wife when she was married to someone else, she left him and now we're married, but she'd never hook up with another guy and leave me" mentality, but I hope everything works out for you.

1) He is a Roman Catholic church's Father. He cannot have a wife. Stop discussing about his marital life.

2) I am like Editor1 signing up with Alabanza after the Cedant incident (although we know their unethical act, we had no choice due to several reasons). I always reminded myself to watch over my back and ass. You are right. From the reply posts of other Alabanza users, it is very obvious that Alabanza has no shame of what they are doing. I am sure they would do the same thing to me one day. So I will be extremely careful. Most probably I will stick the photo of Osama next to my computer, with the word "Alabanza" below him.

Move your clients to rackspace and save all of the headaches

I know of a person who just moved 1000+ clients from Alabanza to Rackspace. It took alot of work, but they are happy with their decision.

The way I understand it is (correct me if I am wrong), Alabanza keeps all of your customers information on thier own server, in their own database? This seems shady if you ask me.

I have never been a customer of Cedant, but I received a phone call from Alabanza a little over 6 months ago. The salesman told me that he knew I had some servers I was hosting from, and he wanted to know if I would be interested in a nice user control panel. Never would they tell me prices, and NEVER did they mention I would have to move to them in order to use their control panel software. I found all of this out later, from another person who had used their services.

Alabanza seems like the worst thing that could happen to anyone wanting to get started in the hosting industry. The reference made to Hotel California is right on. "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
    Chris Miller
    PromoPunch
    Custom Imprinted Promotional Products
    www.promopunch.com 1-800-750-8530 x221

This may help...

vi /home/$user/$resellersdomain-mail/.rc.local.init

a

:0
    * [email protected]
    /dev/null

:wq

shhh

Re: Re: Re: Et tu Brutis??

1) He is a Roman Catholic church's Father. He cannot have a wife. Stop discussing about his marital life.
    What? I don't think you're quite getting the reference here.

2) I am like Editor1 signing up with Alabanza after the Cedant incident (although we know their unethical act, we had no choice due to several reasons). I always reminded myself to watch over my back and ass. You are right. From the reply posts of other Alabanza users, it is very obvious that Alabanza has no shame of what they are doing. I am sure they would do the same thing to me one day. So I will be extremely careful. Most probably I will stick the photo of Osama next to my computer, with the word "Alabanza" below him.
    We had reports from our resellers who received spam directly from Alabanza while we still had machines with them. Not a single one moved from us directly to Alabanza, of course, as there was a good reason we were leaving them in the first place. When I forwarded those messages to abuse@ and to our rep at Alabanza, what response was received? "Oh, sorry, they're not supposed to do that, we'll talk to them." Sure.

Starting off at a company that will do things like that to others and then hoping they won't do the same to you is pure folly. Why anyone would want to do business with a company that does things like that is a bit mystifying. There is always a choice. It might take courage to make it, but just settling for something (at least for us) would never be an option.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.

Alabanza takes the same approach to their resellers as Verisign does. They classify them as their accounts. Not yours. Verisign will market directly to your domain accounts you sign up under their service. Alabanza reserves the right to do the same. I would never host or resell with anyone who takes that apprach. I like the Rackspaces or OpenSRSs of the world.

I just received a postcard from www.cheapwebhosting.com today and the message sounds like this:

"2 Months Free - Want your old web site back? Cedent recently moved your site from LINUX to a SUN operating system and removed tons of functionality. - WE CAN GET IT ALL BACK!"

It looks like Alabanza is focusing at dedicated server customers and it lets Cheap Web Hosting concentrates on the part for virtual web hosting.

Well, I think they are really "CHEAP" (morality).

Annette

Am I dreaming or did Alabanza not start out as the communications department of the local Catholic Diocese??

I am convinced I remember this from long ago, but I may just have had too many shell sessions since then........

Anyway, the price hike and thew bandwidth charges were the end of the road for them with most people.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast