Fast Dedicated Servers?

Hey everyone,
    I am looking to start a gsp, however, I am going to have a very high end service. What dedicated server companies have the best network performance?

Thanks!

What region do you need this in?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

There are A LOT of topics about the best hosting companies around..a simple search would show you that.

By network ..do you mean a good US local network or one that has quick hops to distant locations..etc..are you planning to server a US customer base or an international one?
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

I am either going to get a west coast server and an east coast server, or I am going to get a few central server (texas or chicago). Which one would you recomend?

I am looking for the fastest network because it is for gaming.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cmpolis
    I am either going to get a west coast server and an east coast server, or I am going to get a few central server (texas or chicago). Which one would you recomend?

I am looking for the fastest network because it is for gaming.

Thanks!
    Chicago - www.steadfast.net (Level 3, Savvis, AT&T + some others - nice pings)

Dallas - www.softlayer.com www.colo4dallas.com (both use Internap bandwidth in a BGP mix with other providers and Internap FCP for optimal routing)

Los Angeles - www.webnx.com (ask about the Mzima network - awesome performance)

New York - www.choopa.com (the network that powers gameservers.com - need I say more? )

Ashburn - www.ptptech.com (Level 3, Savvis, AT&T, GBLX, nLayer, Tiscali, BTN = awesome mix + great pricing) You may need to go through a colo or bandwidth customer of PTP, in which case I'd look at Myriadnetwork.com

Thanks for the help, I think Im going to go with Soft Layer.

For my server, I think I am going to get:
    AMD Opteron 170
    2Gb Ram (is this enough)
    250Gb SATAII HD
    Should I get Cent or Fedora?
    How many IPs will I need?
    Would upgrading from 10 to 100Mbps port help?

Thanks!

What games are you planning on running?
    Generally I budget for 16MB of RAM per player (sometimes more depending on the game). With 2GB you are talking 128 players or 8 x 16 Player servers.

I'd see if I could get SAS drives as opposed to the SATAII drives. They offer a full-duplex bus and will offer your customers better performance.

In gaming, you can generally set each client server up on seperate ports or port variants. You could concievably get away with one. But again it depends on the game you're running.

Definitely get a dedicated 100Mbps port with burstable bandwidth. Make sure your provider doesn't box you in with QOS rules. Also test their network for latency and packet loss. Games don't do well in high latency environments.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

you might also consider

Insomnia365.com

They are a division of theplanet.com and have an excellent network. I've used them for almost 3 years now and most everyone gets great pings to their Dallas DC's. Current bandwidth is ATT, UUNEt, Level3, Global Crossing, Abovenet, Savvis peering, and a few others.

Their insomnia line of servers also come with "cortex" a Game panel designed by them that lets you install games pretty easily.

I loved it when I used them.

is a 10Mbps port really neccessary though for a Game server? If your using a full 10Mbps port chances are, your going to go over your allotted bandwidth with most companies.....Its just an extra expense in my opinion thats not really needed on Game servers. Sure it sounds good to say you have a 100Mbps port, but in reality your never gonna go above 10Mbps unless your on some high bandwidth plan or unmetered plan.

Having a 100Mbps is not going to affect latency.

We been using softlayer.com for a good 9-10 months now and it's been a pleasure doing business with them.
    (Highly Recommended)

based on the questions you've asked i'm going to say you're not even close to ready to run a gsp if this is the limit of your knowledge.

Why don't you spend a little time and get to know the industry? It will really help, and save yourself a lot of headache
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer