Need a hosting suggestion

Ok, this is my problem. I just bought hosting on HostGator, and I have a unforseen problem. I am building a small store, and had planned on using HG's free shared SSL. Now I discovered that using shared SSLs leads to a security warning popup. THat will not work for me. I contacted HG and they told me that the only thing I can do about it is to buy a private SSL. Is that correct? And they told me that I can buy a private SSL from them for $75 a year. I did some research, and that seems excessive. For instance, GoDaddy sells them for $19.99 (per year). So, is it possible to buy one from GoDaddy and use it on my HostGator site? I'm very new at hosting and all, and I don't know what all is involved. HostGator will install it for $20, but I am on a low budget, I just cannot afford it. Plus, I'll need a dedicated IP, and that will be $3/mo. extra.

So, I'm at a loss for what to do next. Should I switch to GoDaddy hosting (I already have my domain with them)? There you can have a SSL for $19 a year, which includes the dedicated IP. Or is there another hosting company out there that provides private SSL at a lower cost? I can only afford to pay around $10 a month. With HostGator I have the Baby plan, which is 5gb space and 75gb monthly transfer. I'd be looking for something similar. I'm just going to be hosting a basic website, and a small store. I really have no idea how much bandwidth I'll be using, but I can't see it being even near 75gb.
    I just need some answers.
    Thanks

Look around. I do know of some hosts that will include the IP and the SSL in a package but $10 a month is a little low.
    WebzPro.com Hosting Solutions Since 2004
    Shared/Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated
    Server Administration - 24/7 Support - Phone & Help Desk
    - LiteSpeed Powered Servers CPanel/WHM - A+ BBB Rating

well godaddy charges 6.99 for the deluxe plan, and 19.99 for SSL certificate, which includes dedicated IP. That works out to $8.65 a month. Less than what I'm paying currently with HG. And GoDaddy has more space & transfer.

There are web hosts around that will install the certificates for you for free.

Buy a private IP
    Buy a certificate at: http://www.positivessl.com/ (about $14.95)

Quote Originally Posted by kbalona
    well godaddy charges 6.99 for the deluxe plan, and 19.99 for SSL certificate, which includes dedicated IP. That works out to $8.65 a month. Less than what I'm paying currently with HG. And GoDaddy has more space & transfer.
    Godaddy will always have more space and transfer. But hostgator will always be the better host. (Compared to godaddy). Not sure comparing it to other "big" hosts.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Probably so, I didn't have any problems with HG other than this one. But I just can't afford it. And now I found out that I can't even have a private SSL on the Baby plan. I'd have to have Swamp or better, and it Swamp costs $14.95. Also the live chat person told me that SSL setup is only $10, not $20 like their website states. But it still comes out more expensive than elsewhere. Does any one know of a good host that doesn't charge SSL install fee?

kbalona,

You can buy the $20 ceritificate and have it installed on your HostGator account, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

That's right, but they charge a $10 install fee, plus I'd have to upgrade to the Swamp plan which costs $15. I can do it cheaper elsewhere.

enom is offering a $15 or $20 instant ssl certificate i believe.. (It is actually generated by sbssecure)

Cheap SSL certs:
    www.namecheap.com
    www.godaddy.com
    www.ev1servers.net
    www.positivessl.com
    www.registerfly.com

Any good host will install the cert free with a dedicated IP. Any good host will let you rent a dedicated Ip as an addon to a package for $1-$2 extra per month. There shouldn't be any setup fees on the hosting.

For $10/Mo you should be able to find good hosting including a dedicated IP. Check people's sigs or the shared hosting section.
    Last edited by bear; 10-07-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kbalona
    Probably so, I didn't have any problems with HG other than this one. But I just can't afford it. And now I found out that I can't even have a private SSL on the Baby plan. I'd have to have Swamp or better, and it Swamp costs $14.95. Also the live chat person told me that SSL setup is only $10, not $20 like their website states. But it still comes out more expensive than elsewhere. Does any one know of a good host that doesn't charge SSL install fee?
    Like it or lump it. If you're building a small store, you need some funding.
    That's the way the cookie crumbles, nothing is free.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

I think the problem is with hostgator, not finding a cheap SSL because they're charging for the installation which is kind of weird actually because it's not that difficult and is certainly not worth $10

So is the installation actually performable by the user? (i.e. me). I found Marble Host and was chatting with a sales rep. He said that with them, once I have the cert it is installable free from the control panel. But I didn't like them too well, he used terrible english, and once I did some research here, I didn't like too well what I found. Now I found Vertigo, and it looks very promising.

Depends on what Control panel we're talking about it and what kind of package you're using.

If you're using Cpanel and you're a reseller, you'll probably have the option to install SSL yourself. If you're a shared account ,then you'll just ask your host to install it for you..just send them the cert file and they'll take care of it..it's basically copy-->paste--->click..done!

Probably you can buy your SSL elsewhere and install it at your HG account, or buy your SSL and host it somewhere else.
    With Cpanel, you has the ability of install it by yourself if you have a dedicated IP.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore