PHP, ImageMagick, and GD install walkthru

could someone please walk me thru the process of getting

PHP 4 with at least GD, pspell, and gzip
    with ImageMagick

installed on my VPS? I've asked my Web Hosting Provider to do it 5 times already, and each time it gets removed.. either imagemagick, pspell, or GD gets removed, so could someone walk me thru the process of how to get it installed on a

centOS 4.2 VPS?

They say that I can't do it with cpanel, because PHP 4 has a bug with one of the libraries, or something, which has to be compiled from scratch, but I don't know how to do it myself, could someone walk me thru the process?

that would really help me out so much, thanks
    Last edited by bubazoo; 10-07-2006 at 01:06 PM.

check the VPS Tutorials forum here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108 where you can find some information useful. or google what you don't find there.

good luck!
    Tubenode.com - FFMPEG, PHP & RoR Hosting
    RCholic.com - R/C videos sharing

Quote Originally Posted by bubazoo
    could someone please walk me thru the process of getting

PHP 4 with at least GD, pspell, and gzip
    with ImageMagick

installed on my VPS? I've asked my Web Hosting Provider to do it 5 times already, and each time it gets removed.. either imagemagick, pspell, or GD gets removed, so could someone walk me thru the process of how to get it installed on a

centOS 4.2 VPS?

They say that I can't do it with cpanel, because PHP 4 has a bug with one of the libraries, or something, which has to be compiled from scratch, but I don't know how to do it myself, could someone walk me thru the process?

that would really help me out so much, thanks
    Is this by chance a cpanel VPS?

yes it is a cpanel VPS..

I found NOTHING on this on google, nothing but junk, and the VPS Tutorials here didn't cover that subject at all..

I was told that installing PHP 4 with GD, or imagemagick can't remember which, required a "compile from scratch", that I can't just use WHM's options or yum, to do it, something about a 'bug' in the rpm version.
    of GD or imagemagick er something with PHP 4, I don't know but thats what my host told me... they tell me that, but yet, they don't tell me HOW to do it myself its a real pain...

and I really get sick and tired of people telling me to "google for what you want"
    I don't have TIME to look thru 1 billion articles to find what i need....I don't want to "break" my VPS, I just want to get what I need for my website installed....I don't think anyone does... I just thought somebody knew offhand..sorryyyyy..

one rule I think should be posted on this board someplace.

A. try to google for your answer first, then post, and when you post Don't insult other people by telling them to google, when its odvious the person tried to google before asking the question in the first place.. I always answer a question "assuming" the person has already tried to google around, otherwise if I feel the person needs to google around for the answer, I don't say nothing at all... its just common courtesy.. because otherwise telling someone flat out "you need to google for that answer" is a copout and an insult to the other person.
    Last edited by bubazoo; 10-08-2006 at 04:19 PM.

If you have cpanel you can click on ''update apache'' and select option that you want. Cpanel will automatically install all that you select.

The best place for support is cpanel forum.
    I use it for more than four years and I find solution for every problem.

Or you can run easyapache script with shell,
    login as a root and type
    /scripts/easyapache
    when prompted select option with GD support (as I remember #6) click enter and that is it, just wait for script to compile (usually about half hours)

Quote Originally Posted by bubazoo
    I've asked my Web Hosting Provider to do it 5 times already, and each time it gets removed.. either imagemagick, pspell, or GD gets removed
    Why are you still staying with such imcompetent host?

BTW did you try updating apache from WHM?

Why are you still staying with such imcompetent host?
    well, I'm currently researching other alternatives. Finding a VPS (rather the first time or 500th time) is never easy... If anything, the search gets harder with each host, because you never know if the next host will be the same as the previous, if not worse, plus there is more to research then just any old VPS located in the US with superb support, there is also the price issue.. I pay for my VPS directly out of my own personal checking account. I don't have a credit card, only paypal with a debit card issued by my bank, which is why I prefer paypal in the first place, so rather I pay $30/mo or $36 (for example) makes a HUGE difference. It could mean the difference betwen buying groceries this week, or paying for a web host, so I have to research my options carefully. I only make $7.50 an hour at my job, and we're down to 3 days a week now, so its not like I can afford to keep switching hosts all the time either. I know some of you guys don't understand that, but its how us poor folk live
    Last edited by bubazoo; 10-11-2006 at 08:35 PM.

We do understand that not everyone can afford lots for a web host, but you should still be able to find a better host to do these basic sort of things for you, and still cost the same or less than your current host.
    Koroush Ghazi
    Owner/Author
    TweakGuides.com
    Currently Hosted by: EuroVPS