Thread: File Server

Question File Server

Hello,

I'm the core moderator of a abandonware game community called CDOS Abandonware, cdos.org. Our online community is based on letting users download really old, abandon, DOS games. We have 1800+ games in our game library and that's growing daily, at the moment we are using around 22 GB or hdd space.

I have been searching a lot on the Internet but can't find what I'm really looking for. The whole idea of the host is not to host the actuall site but the files users are able to download. This means I don't need anything on the computer really, except for a hdd, an FTP access and an IP-address.

Since our community is rather big (36.000 registered members) I cannot have a traffic limit, I need a limit on the speed for the download. What do you call it, quality of servers? Anyhow need unmetered bandwidth.

We are releasing a new version in a few days and my hopes was that I would be able to show them a new file server. Does anyone know where I would be able to find something like this?

The really best thing would be if you as a forum reader be able to offer me something from your computer? Since I don't need anything else really, just hdd space, unmetered bandwidth and IP address. I can't set it up at my place because I only have 1Mbits for uploading...

Thanks,
    Kind regards,
    Niklas

I have heard of hostmonster.com and ixwebhosting.com but does anyone know if I can trust them?
    Last edited by niklasCDOS; 10-07-2006 at 10:02 AM.

According to whois info, hostmonster.com is older than ixwebhosting.com..so that's a point for hostmonster..

However, you'll still need some real feedback from current or previous clients of those companies. I'd suggest you either google for that or simply search WHT
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

look into getting dedicated server, theres some great offers here, also if you have a dedicated linux box u can install pure-ftpd

the above has tons of features like limiting bandwidth and tying ftp accounts to a database

hope that helps

Both of those companies are regarded as very, very low quality (IX and HM).

Search around, you'll find a number of negative reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by mihd
    look into getting dedicated server, theres some great offers here, also if you have a dedicated linux box u can install pure-ftpd

the above has tons of features like limiting bandwidth and tying ftp accounts to a database

hope that helps
    That mainly depends on what kind of budget he has on mind.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

yea he didnt post a price range...

actually a vps will be more suited but yea pure-ftpd is the proggie for him if all he wants is a flexible ftp server

Anyhow need unmetered bandwidth.
    actually a vps will be more suited
    First off he said he needs unmetered bandwidth, a VPS will not come with that.

Second I reccomend getting a dedicated server.

All you really need is a dedicated server, on a reliable, stable network connection.

The other things you want are standard, or can be installed.

A price range will help.

Actually, I believe you can get unmetered on VPS's. I forget where, but it was quite low (1-5).

Thanks all for all the replies. I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as I can and looking into most of the ded. servers they cost quite a lot. Does anyone know a some quality although rather cheap examples of ded. servers?