Free DNS services

Hi,

I'm looking for free DNS services. I've been using ZoneEdit which is fine, but I've reached the limit of 5 free domains.

I can't find reviews about reliability of the services I find, so any personal experiences with other providers is very welcome.

We've used EveryDNS.net for several years as secondary DNS and never had any problems. We use thier paid service, but their free service is just as reliable and has higher limits (20 domains, 200 records) than ZoneEdit.
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

comomolo,

If everydns's service is like their other company's (openDNS) they're definitely the place to go.

They rock for opendns (www.opendns.com)
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    comomolo,

If everydns's service is like their other company's (openDNS) they're definitely the place to go.

They rock for opendns (www.opendns.com)
    OpenDNS is not for hosting. I've been using it too though.

How about www.dyndns.com?

Quote Originally Posted by cannedbrain
    OpenDNS is not for hosting. I've been using it too though.

How about www.dyndns.com?
    I didn't state it was for hosting.
    I said if everydns (which is owned by the same guy from openDNS) is anything like the quality of service offered at opendns: go for it.

I haven't used everydns myself so I wasn't entirely sure.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

DynDNS is not free. EveryDNS is and OpenDNS, though not related to my question, is a good idea indeed (I might try using it too, though they're not in Europe).

The other service that looks good "in theory" is freedns.afraid.org, anyone heard of it?

Thanks again.

I've used afraid.org for years (although I am a paid member, so I can't speak for their free services). Give them a shot

Ok, I am a bit confused about opendns. What is it's function and use ?

Quote Originally Posted by solidghost
    Ok, I am a bit confused about opendns. What is it's function and use ?
    Opendns is a service for anyone with an internet connection to use. They configure their connection, then they get to enjoy the benefits of using the openDNS servers. Benefits include typo correction, and in some cases, it's faster than regular isp-run dns servers.

everyDNS is a service for webmasters & administrators to use. It's run by the openDNS people, and provides free hosting of DNS to people use with their domain names.

Quote Originally Posted by niitpro
    sitelutions.com is easy and power for me!!!
    They don't provide dns-only hosting.

Although it's not my primary concern, I don't quite like how EveryDNS manages Dynamic DNS. If I understood well their instructions, they will update EVERY dynamic DNS address in your account with the one sent by a single PC, effectively limiting the use of dynamic addresses to just one PC.

I've signed up at both EveryDNS and FreeDNS and the latter seems to be more flexible. No problems with dynamic DNSs, enough features in the free version and some true niceties such as massive changes to A records (very useful when changing web hosting for 20 or 30 domains). Also, a bit easier for newbies like myself. Again, the lack of reviews makes me wonder how they perform compared to ZoneEdit (which has performed flawlessly for me for the last years).

nocebo: may I ask what feature made you become a paid member of freedns.afraid.org? (Just curious.)

I use zoneedit.com - have been for 3+ years and had no issues with it
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

I strongly recommend http://gratisdns.dk - unlimited domains, webhosting companies are allowed to use the free service as well
    5 geographically separated DNS-servers are offered, which means absolutely NO downtime, GratisDNS currently serving 97.500+ domains...

Well, the seamy side is, GratisDNS currently only appears on danish.. Our wonderful language

However, if any of you would like to give it a try, you can probably guess what some of the phrases means, otherwise I would gladly be helpful to translate a bit..

Quick guide:

Go to https://ssl.gratisdns.dk/editdomains4.phtml press "Opret ny bruger" (Create new user)

Bruger = Username
    Kodeord = Password

Once created go back to https://ssl.gratisdns.dk/editdomains4.phtml and login to your account.

Press "Primaer DNS" button in the top

Fill in your domain in the first of the 2 formulars, and press enter. The page will reload, and your domain should now appear at the list. Press "Aendre DNS Opsætning" button next to the domain, and setup your records.

To setup your records you may want to know that "Tilfoej" means "Add".
    "Vaert" is similar to "Host".

Once done this, wait approx 6 hours for the service to reload and create new-add'ed domains, then change your DNS-servers to:

ns1.gratisdns.dk
    ns2.gratisdns.dk
    ns3.gratisdns.dk
    ns4.gratisdns.dk
    ns5.gratisdns.dk

and you're done..

Feel free to ask if any questions

Michael,

This is very nice from you, but it's really painful to use a web service in a language you don't understand at all. Maybe you can do something to make them change their mind and translate their web into English?

Of course it is, however the administration is quite simple - when you first have learned to use it, so I thought it perhaps could be useable for some
    English translation has been planned for a while I believe, it just haven't top-priority I think..

Well, I suddenly remember another danish similar service, not as "proff" designed as the other one, but besides it is running smoothly, also with 5 DNS-servers avaliable.

The frontpage http://leweb.dk is in danish as well, but the DNS-administration is in english.

Create user at http://dnsadmin.leweb.dk/createuser.php
    Fornavn = Firstname
    Efternavn = Last name

DNS admin http://dnsadmin.leweb.dk - your password is sent to you by mail

Quote Originally Posted by comomolo
    The other service that looks good "in theory" is freedns.afraid.org, anyone heard of it?
    I've been using Afraid's FreeDNS service for many years now and absolutely love it. I'm currently hosting/managing about 20 domains with them. Great service, active support forums, deals with abuse issues very promptly!

An all-around great service.

http://freedns.afraid.org/

I used to use DynDNS.org which used to provide a free DNS service with limited features, you could then upgrade when needed to a premium service for a one-off charge, I am not sure if the service remains the same.

I currently use no-ip.org which I think is fantastic in terms of simplicity, functionality and reliability, I don’t think I would bother looking elsewhere.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r

They don't provide dns-only hosting.
    Actually yes, Sitelutions.com does provide DNS-only hosting (no need to purchase a domain or hosting services).
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.: www.inforelay.com
    Bulk Bandwidth Pricing, Unmetered Servers, Unbelievable Affordability -- Locations in: Ashburn, Los Angeles, Chicago, Reston, San Jose, Dallas, New York, Washington, DC.

I have been struggling to get my domain to work with freedns.afraid.org... There's no doc on the web site and the forum is closed

How do I proceed? I have a domain name example.com and I want to use ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com. What IP addresses do I have to use at my registrar to create these 2 name servers?

I registered on freedns, I added my domain name and it says it's broken. There are DNS entries I can add on my account, but I don't know which IP address I should use either

Thanks in advance.

Do you have 2 dedicated IP addresses that you can use as nameservers, tha actually point to servers that ARE setup as nameservers?

Yes, I do.

ZoneEdit

ZoneEdit

They only offer 5 free domains but I've used them for years and they are rock solid stable with great support.

I really can't recommend them enough.

What are the advantages of using everydns.net's DNS as opposed to my webhost?

or is this only for using domains so that it'll point to my own webhost?

I use afraid.org, but I have noticed that when I use their subdomains, Google Sitemaps can not find the domain-name registration information and many or most cPanel installations will not allow you to use the afraid.orf subdomains as add-on domains.

I've used www.xname.org for 2 years.