Need reliable hosting

I'm currently with Dreamhost but they're stepping on my last nerve at this point what with the constant flakiness and musical chairs of what can go wrong next. I've started the long process of researching another host so I can move if they don't get their act together. (I must say, Dreamhost was largely good before Spring 2006. I came from Pair, which in terms of reliability was far better, but simply too expensive.)

Must have:
    • Linux or FreeBSD
    • PHP 5/MySQL 4
    • shell and cron, and not in a crappy chroot jail. (Good chroot jails, VPS, etc. acceptable)
    • IMAP and webmail
    • GOOD UPTIME
    • 3GB disk bare minimum, 5GB+ preferred
    • 50GB transfer minimum
    • 10 domains minimum
    • unlimited subdomains
    • 99.9% uptime which is backed by actual uptime, not by service credits for downtime
    • known to work with MediaWiki and Wordpress
    ---

Nice to have:
    • Ability to create OUTBOUND sockets with PHP. I'm amazed by the number of sales reps who think this means I want to open up ports. No. I want to open an outbound UDP socket and send a packet every so often from MediaWiki.
    • PostgreSQL
    • Subversion
    • Shared SSL
    • A referral program with kickbacks like Dreamhost's
    ---

I was looking at LunarPages and HostGator, but neither of them offer shell. The hell with that.

Any suggestions for a relatively well-known and established host would be appreciated. I have zero desire to sign onto an oversold server running loads of 10+ from some dude's garage, etc.

What's your budget?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

What do you mean by 'good chroot jail' ?

many hostings offer shell
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

What do you mean by 'good chroot jail' ?
    Heh, yeah. I've never encountered one, but if I did it would have ALL common Unix commands and utilities available, not just a tiny subset. It would have man pages and ideally compilers and things. (A chroot jail is where it looks like you have a server, generally stripped WAY down, all to yourself. Common with certain types of panel installations.)

As for my budget, I've currently got the $20/mo plan at Dreamhost. Feel free to suggest higher or lower and I'll sort out what'll work for me!

Jailed shell is used to stop people abusing the server, if you want more than this you essentially need root access which means VPS or dedi.

To have that + all the other stuff you wanted will probably cost in the range of $30-$50 per month for a VPS, but if you didn't need this you could save yourself about $20/Mo and get a good shared plan. Expect to pay $10/Mo MINIMUM for what you asked.

Check the offers section for shared and VPS hosts.
    Also check people signatures
    DownTownHost and FutureHosting are good.

Quote Originally Posted by VT6
    Jailed shell is used to stop people abusing the server, if you want more than this you essentially need root access which means VPS or dedi.
    I don't need root access, just a shell that isn't too stripped down. Dreamhost offers this, in fact Dreamhost has everything I want except the reliability. Thanks for the pointers to the other two hosts.

whats your yearly and monthly budget for this, there are many reliable hosts out there, try looking in the web hosting offers section

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by danksyboi
    whats your yearly and monthly budget for this, there are many reliable hosts out there, try looking in the web hosting offers section
    Quote Originally Posted by neurophyre
    As for my budget, I've currently got the $20/mo plan at Dreamhost. Feel free to suggest higher or lower and I'll sort out what'll work for me!
    That answers your question