Thread: UK/US Hosting

UK/US Hosting

Hi
    I am based in the UK and at the mo have a hosting account with Hostgator, which is great. BUT I have a few sites that are targeting the UK only with co.uk - will this effect the search results if a searcher restricts a search to UK only bearing in mind that Hostgator is US based

If I am at a disadvantage can anyone recommend UK host with a similar cpanel to HG as I am familiar with this.

Regards
    Tony

I have heard that a UK IP can help SEO. But I am not completely sure that is true.

In my opinion its always best to host UK sites in the UK.

Most UK hosts use cPanel as HG does.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Cheers MK

your hosting package looks good - the only negative is the amount of addon domains. With HG ...and a lot of US hosts unlimited seems to be the norm, whereas UK hosts seem offer just one, two or five

Regards

Tony

Well most hosts will add more, if you ask them an additional charge may apply.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by gullbeard
    the only negative is the amount of addon domains. With HG ...and a lot of US hosts unlimited seems to be the norm, whereas UK hosts seem offer just one, two or five
    Hosting an unlimited amount of domains on a standard hosting package is not "normal"... perhaps it might be normal from the cross section of hosts banded about on WHT. Being able to host an unlimited amount of domains would generally come with its own requisite charge...
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

If your domains are co.uk it makes not difference where you have it hosted.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know what a uk.net is classed as...I have one site that is hosted in the states and is ranked #1 for a search string on google (googlewide) but off the radar when restricted to UK

Thanks
    Tony

Anything with .uk in is a UK based domain name.

.co.uk = Commerical, UK
    .net.uk = Internet, UK
    .org.uk = Organisation, UK

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gullbeard
    I have one site that is hosted in the states and is ranked #1 for a search string on google (googlewide) but off the radar when restricted to UK

Thanks
    Tony
    No matter what anyone says, that is quite common; I recommend having a UK host for all of your "uk" domains but you will have a different price structure to what you have been used to in the US - UK is much more expensive for what you get (or more generally what you don't!).
    How much do you want to spend?

Well most UK/EU don't oversell that's why you don't see in packages unlimited features. In fact nobody needs unlimited features.

Good luck by choosing your host.
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

I'd definitely host a UK site in the UK if that neck of the world is your target audience due to potential latency issues hosting across the world.