Somebody stop me - new site5 package

Two hours ago, I posted here about how after a year and a half, I'm thinking of switching from site5 to elsewhere. I then looked around their site a bit tonight and saw their new Multisite Dynamite promo. 6 seperate sites, 15 gigs, 1T bandwidth(!), for $149/2 years.

Funny thing is, I'm still waiting for support to respond to an 11 hour hold ticket for my e-mail being down for 48 hours, and I'm looking at this thing going "yeah, the deal and the website look so great!", and am having thoughts of signing up for it like I'm an addict that can't quit a bad thing.

I mean, c'mon... they promise ultra-low numbers of clients on cutting edge servers, how good their support is, blah blah... but I'm getting the feeling this is like a chick that seems kinda' hot so long as you don't look too close, but when you get her home, there's something you don't expect to find under "her" dress... lol. Weird analogy, but it's been a long day.

So yes, I am tired right now. Am I getting sucked in by total hype, and they're just going to continue providing unreliable service and lousy support no matter what plan I'm on?

Edit: Wow I must be tired. I just now noticed the browser title bar says "Site5 Affordable Web Hosting - Discount Email and Blog Hosting Company". Sounds a bit conflicting against the claims of their own superiority.
    Last edited by Fasty; 10-06-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Love your analogy, lol! Sorry about the poor experience you've had with them. Maybe it's time to pack up and look for a new provider?

Fight the addicting web site and tempting offers

Their plans get more ridiculous each time they update them

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Their plans get more ridiculous each time they update them
    I would have to agree...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

This should be interesting.

and am having thoughts of signing up for it like I'm an addict that can't quit a bad thing.
    I don't know... maybe deep down you think that the new package is cheap enough and generous enough in some respects to be sort of in line with the level of service you've been getting so far, in which case, a new question arises: do you want better hosting or cheaper hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I... a new question arises: do you want better hosting or cheaper hosting?
    Very good question indeed, while the better deal usually does look more attractive most of the times, the consumer should also consider the the other factors involved in hosting such as the level of support they will be getting for the cost as well as the uptime and their personal needs.

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    I don't know... maybe deep down you think that the new package is cheap enough and generous enough in some respects to be sort of in line with the level of service you've been getting so far
    You mean this could be a Freudian thing? If I castrate my keyboard and start dry humping the cable modem, I'll be the first to admit you were right...lol.

Actually, you make a good point. In my case, however, I think I was trying to delude myself into thinking they might somehow magically start providing better overall service again if I signed up for the new plan. For my first few months with them, it seemed perfectly normal to get great service for a relatively cheap price. That, plus the great sounding hype all over their site could tempt one to think they'll be up for a Nobel prize next year.

Are you still having bad service from them (waiting 11 for an answer of a ticket) and why do you think that they are getting better?
    I mean, is a retorical question, if you see that they are doing the same thing, what makes you think that they are improving?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fasty
    You mean this could be a Freudian thing? If I castrate my keyboard and start dry humping the cable modem, I'll be the first to admit you were right...lol.
    Nothing for me to really add to this topic as i have no experience with Site5 but cheers that was funny as all hell. First good laugh of the day.
    How many web hosts does it take to screw in a light bulb?

I'm still waiting for support to respond to an 11 hour hold ticket for my e-mail being down for 48 hours
    And you're thinking of buying a new hosting plan with them?? You really are a total addict. Consider this thread an intervention.

11h is a long wait for a support issue. I'd move along to another provider if I were you.
    -Mr Bister

If you are not getting good support from them you should just go with another provider. Just because they have such a good new plan doesn't mean it will change. Have you brought up this to their attention? Have you contacted them again?

Mr. Bister - Yes, 11 hours is a long wait... but 34 hours is even longer! Still no response!

jshtosh - Yes, I sent a follow-up mail this morning, and it's been 14 hours since that. I sent in for a fresh ticket about 45 minutes ago. Let's see what happens there.

I'm not able to contact any dept. except support as their sales and billing offices are only open Mon - Fri. Having no other option, I just posted about this in their forum as a last resort. Let's see how quickly it gets closed and hidden.

Again, my follow-up mail, and the fresh ticket request have remained calm and polite as usual, so no "customer from hell" excuses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by zyzzyvas
    And you're thinking of buying a new hosting plan with them?? You really are a total addict. Consider this thread an intervention.
    LOL... Intervention accepted. Thank you for helping me through my moment of weakness.

I think this may be the straw that broke the camel's back. My frustrations with them have now hit the 1 year anniversary mark. I've already researched new hosting here on WHT about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure I know who I'm going to try.

If/when it happens, I'll be sure to report back with who my new host is.

I wonder when overselling will see it's limit. I never thought I would see the initials TB in any packages offered by a host, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath if they decide to take it farther. I guess whatever sells huh guys?
    Last edited by SwiftModders; 10-07-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    SwiftModders - Premium WHMCS Themes, Blesta Themes, and WordPress Development
    View my top-rated WHMCS Themes trusted by over 1,000 businesses!
    █ Now offering Blesta Themes to transform your Blesta client area!

Quote Originally Posted by AllureHost
    I wonder when overselling will see it's limit. I never thought I would see the initials TB in any packages offered by host, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath if they decide to take it father. I guess whatever sells huh guys?
    AMEN! I Couldnt agree more

11 hours is a long wait... but 34 hours is even longer! Still no response!

Having no other option, I just posted about this in their forum as a last resort. Let's see how quickly it gets closed and hidden.
    Finally got a response after 51 hours. Was given instruction on how to fix the problem myself... LOL.

Oh, and my post over there lasted about an hour and a half before it was moved to a hidden area so nobody could see it but me and the admins. That is truly annoying. Apparently, they're more interested in covering up their problems than letting any onlookers get an accurate picture of their service.

Well, they can't cover things up here at WHT.

It'd be nice if they got their act back together, but I don't see any evidence of that happening. Downtimes and other assorted problems are bemoing more frequent. I really don't want to switch hosts because when things are working, my site is fast. I'm in NY and the servers are in Jersey, so I'm close, but nonetheless, I consistently get 12ms ping times from my domain.

Am I allowed to post my domain here? I'd be very interested to see what my pings look like from other U.S. states and other parts of the globe.

Am I allowed to post my domain here? I'd be very interested to see what my pings look like from other U.S. states and other parts of the globe.
    People can just ping site5.com or nac.net (which is the network/data center that they use). Ping depends mostly the geographic distance between the source and destination. Sure, in some cases, there's a 'less than disirable'/bad route in between, but that isn't too common. 12ms is a pretty good time, especially if that's coming from a residential ISP. I'm also based in New York and I ping them at 6ms (Verizon FiOS line).

I don't think anywhere here has every posted any complaints about Site5's network performance, it's the server performance that people tend to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    People can just ping site5.com or nac.net (which is the network/data center that they use).
    Is that essentially the same as pinging my domain or IP?

12ms is a pretty good time, especially if that's coming from a residential ISP. I'm also based in New York and I ping them at 6ms (Verizon FiOS line).
    I've been hearing that FiOS is blazing fast. I'm on Optimum (non-Boost), which is still fast enough for me Internet-wise, but I think they use way too much compression for TV, even on the movie channels. If Verizon provides higher quality TV, and attractive package combos (Internet-TV-VoIP), they may eventually get me back as a phone customer. I've been on Vonage for 1 1/2 years, and have issues with their service as well. So-so voice quality, delay, echoes, voice mail problems, occasionally no dial tone, etc.

[/HIJACK]

I don't think anywhere here has every posted any complaints about Site5's network performance, it's the server performance that people tend to complain about.
    True. Lots of high load complaints and all that. And let's not forget the 51 hours to respond to my ticket... lol. It was normal priority... I'd hate to see low.

Still wondering about this. Is pinging the host and/or data center basically the same thing as pinging my domain?
    Veni Vidi Posti

High Performance Guitar My geetar playing and assorted fun
    The HPG discussion forum

Still wondering about this. Is pinging the host and/or data center basically the same thing as pinging my domain?
    Answer that question for yourself: do a traceroute to both and look at the differences. Once at your datacenter it should only be a hop or two to your server. Those hops should be very fast.

Is pinging the host and/or data center basically the same thing as pinging my domain?
    Should be almost the same thing, unless there are issues in the datacenter. Be careful as some hosts use multiple datacenters and/or host their main website on a different network than the one they use for hosting customers.

I believe Site5 used NAC and Liquidweb at some point.