Acceptable CPU utilization

What will be an acceptable level of CPU utilization for a dedicated server given the following information:

2GB RAM
    Pentium 4 HT 3Ghz CPU

This server will eventually be used to host my client websites.

Bay Area
    CPU or system load?

My webservers usually generate up to 600% CPU load, ~3 System load. Anything higher than that will cause slowdowns.

That server should be able to run fine at 3-4 load. I would not go any higher than that.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

It depends on the server resource usage... If you use mysql based site.... and not tweaked the settings according to the resource available... then load may spike(same applies to apache)... also i assume you are talking about the CPU utilization... not the load here.... mysql itself might take out 99% of CPU available.... i assume your's settings is like apache 1.3, mysql 4.1... as it is cpanel.
    liwiplus Team,
    The Support Sages

Thanks for all of your replies.

I didn't make my post really clear. It should have been CPU/System load so I do apologize.

And yes, it does have Apache 1.3/MySQL 4.1.

All I wanted to know is for me to have a good baseline to indicate that my server is about to be overloaded when I start sticking accounts to it.

And yes, I know that there could be several factors that might affect the server's load such as how it is being utilized. I was hoping to get a generalized baseline from everybody who has had this kind of server specs.

Hi. I'm on a similar Intel Xeon 3Ghz/2GB ram server and sometimes the load is normally around 4.

Recently it was shooting up to 10-15 due to an out-of-control perl script which I had to manually kill, which is not good.

How can I tell what user started the perl script (it says 'nobody')?

Thanks a lot guys!