Opinion of 1 and 1 for hosting

Any issues wor th 1 and 1, or anything they do very well? I am looking at them for MS hosting.

very over rated and very over priced.
    www.NT-Hosts.net
    Shared Hosting - Reseller - Email Hosting - Forum Hosting - Linux server admins
    Phone: 07092898178 - Fax: 07092898179 - Email:Sales@NT-Hosts.net

Overpriced?? They start at $2.24/mo for MS hosting.

I use them now but a with Linux server. Had them for MS hosting a couple of years ago. No problems. Their support is VERY slow, but I never needed it. Uptime and speed are near the top of the RealMetrics ratings.

Couple of things I discovered. First, register your domain(s) somewhere else; ignore their 'free' domain name offer. Their registration is OK, but hard to work with. (I use DynaDot.) Second, DON'T sign up for the 'free' software offer. It locks you into a one year contract and voids the free trial period. (I read the fine print.)

And maybe a third. Ignore the bad reviews on most of the Hosting Review sites. 1 AND 1 is one of the biggest hosting companies in the world and they get more than their share of bashing from the hosting reseller wannabes.

Uptime: Good
    Speed: Good
    Control Panel: Average
    Support: Very poor
    Domains: Very poor

This is from my 6-month experience with the Business package about 2 years ago. I'd rather pick almost any of the guys from the Shared offers here.

A client of mine was with them before they came to me, and was paying almost £150 per quarter for just over 1gb of space and 60GB bandwidth... not over priced ??

Ummm much
    www.NT-Hosts.net

NTHosts: Well perhaps its your clients fault for getting the wrong plan. 1and1 is cheap. I payed $0 for 6 months of hosting a free domain and 100+ Gb of bandwith. You call that overpriced?

1and 1 is fast and reliable hosting. It however has crappy support, a horrible panel and its a pain to quit.

you paid $0 for 6 months hosting and a free domain ???
    wow we should all move to then
    www.NT-Hosts.net

It looks like you think I made a typo so I'll explain:

They had a promotion. Its finished now so you missed your chance. I didn't even have to give a credit card number

Although i could not figure out how to transfer my domain...

[edit]
    You can do a search there was a big thread about it at the time of the promotion here.

1&1 must be crazy to just "give away" a domain, and 600GB of transfer for free..

It's a good job they are a big company because most small ones would be bankrupt within a week of offering that.

You say their support is not very good ?

What do you expect for paying nothing and getting all that transfer ??
    www.NT-Hosts.net

Well okay about the support not being good I guess i should stop saying that I never actually had to use support :p at least not directly anyway.(you can take it as either them having great service, or me not using the site enough)

My support experience is using their knowledge base and spending 2 hours trying to quit and figured out i couldnt. Since they didnt have my credit card number I just let it run. No issue and i even got a 7th month of hosting, although they finally canned the account on the 8th month.

I never had any problems with the site and it ran fine, so you won't here me complaining. I'd rather fix thing myself, and I'll only use support when the problem is on their end or I need something installed.

Also 1and1 throw a bunch of "extras" into the mix, which is basically a collection of free programs i never used. I think a few are 1and1 exclusive.

Ok I hate that my first post to this board is negative but couldnt help but post on this thread.

I used 1and1 a couple years ago, i had a server with them, my credit card on the account expirered and they tried to bill me but this failed, I never received any failed notices, and 1 and 1 didnt try to contact me to tell me I had an outstanding invoice, i'd been using the company for around a year by this point, yes it was probably my fault for not realising that I needed to update my credit card details with them (As well as updating with god knows how many other companys who I have recurring billing with).

Anyway they suspended my server until i paid which I did immediately, I thought my server would be up within at least an hour, but was told that it was an automated system and takes upto 72hours for the server to be 'reactivated' and that the billing department didnt have access to the tools to do this manually!

Based on the fact I got around £700 worth of orders to my site a day I'd say I lost a bit of money in that period of time which was frustrating.

Support wasnt too bad but based on the billing issue I would avoid them like the plague in future.

Good overall

I used 1and1 for 3 years up until last month (september). In 3 years I don't remember ever having my sites go down. (I'm sure they did at some point, but I never saw them down).

I decided this september that I wanted to move to a different web host (I like cPanel). I started with Bluehost, and had several down times in the 10 days. They also have a CPU issue that made it difficult to upload my photo album with out my site going off line! (Over all, my sites combined have never had more than a couple of gigs of bandwidth/month). After really looking into different hosts, I decided to go with Hostgator (because of the great reviews here). I joined them in the middle of a "cPanel" attack and had lousy downtime. I quite them, but after giving it a few days thought went back. I had some small problems, till finally they made a mistake in moving my sites to a server with MySQL 5 and my sites were all down all day. I'm not sure who to go with now...

The biggest two drawbacks of 1and1 are their control panel (lack of some functions), and the customer service. While I had problems at Hostgator, the techs are hostgater were nice and friendly. The techs at 1and1 were very blunt and not very friendly.
    Matt