Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* google to buy youtube

if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

That's interesting speculation. Youtube were on the path to IPO, so selling now might be a tad premature. Their VCs will make the play on this one, whether to cash out now, or cash out post IPO.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Why invest that money into Google Video and then buy your competitor a few months later?

Also MySpace is looking like a bargain now at $580 million with Facebook getting an offer at $1 billion and now YouTube at $1.6 billion.
    HostingChoice - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    - A+ customer support & 100% no-overselling guarantee.
    - Unlimited MySQL Databases and other great features.

MSN: [email protected] AIM: HCLiveHelp02

1.6 billion is enormous!

why hold out for an IPO!

Interesting, very interesting, thanks for the news!

-Jarrett

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    1.6 billion is enormous!

why hold out for an IPO!
    So you can sell for 10 Billion.

Bad investment for Google. YouTube is still a haven for illegal pirated material and if this deal goes through I predict lots of lawsuits unless Google really cracks down on this. Right now YouTube reminds me a lot of Napster in its heyday. Enjoy it while it lasts, folks .
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Ehh I wouldn't go as far as to make a Napster comparison, because there's plenty of legitimate material there also, but yes there are plenty of copyright infrigement issues also.

Is this like the intel buys nvidia stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V
    Bad investment for Google. YouTube is still a haven for illegal pirated material and if this deal goes through I predict lots of lawsuits unless Google really cracks down on this. Right now YouTube reminds me a lot of Napster in its heyday. Enjoy it while it lasts, folks .
    Right now youtube is a flea on the monsters... . Google is a monster.... when you have a monster on your side, some of the other monsters tend to provide a little bit more respect...

Having said that, I would think that most of the big boys that can afford to launch a lawsuite will enter into negotiations with google since google has a lot to offer. The smaller companies will have to rethink their position since google has enough money to drag it out... plus google can hire great lawyers and maybe win....

My god though... 1.6 bil?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Yep, but Google can turn it into a good merge maybe by integrating things between Google Video and YouTube but Youtube definitely won't be as popular if too many restrictions gets put in place on it's content
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

gootube

not such a good name

YouTube users watch more that 100 million videos daily.
    omg spelling error alert

Haha if this was DailyTech everyone would be all over that guy's *** for that one.

A quote from Isabel Wang on her WHIR blog:

Trip Chowdhry, a Global Equities Research analyst, calls the price tag "damn cheap". And Charlene Li of Forrester Research points out that if you divide $1.6 billion by 100 million daily video downloads * 365 days, that's only 4 cents per video stream over the next year. You betcha it's a reason deal.
    When you look at it that way, the $1.6 billion price tag is dirt cheap. Maybe Google would be willing to pay more if the controversy over pirated materials wasn't there, and if YouTube had a much more solid business plan and was making a decent profit. Of course if Google's offer was accepted (Which I doubt it will be, because like Bob said, not too long ago they were seriously considering going down the IPO route) the first thing they would do would be to alter YouTube to allow for more profit, rather than burning countless amounts of cash on bandwidth for 45TB of data each month only to see minimal return.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 10-06-2006 at 07:15 PM.
    - Jamie Harrop

google don't do it. use that money for google video.

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Josh
    Why invest that money into Google Video and then buy your competitor a few months later
    You answered your question. They buy [OUT] thier competitor!

Yeah but they could have done that in the first place and not invested anything into Google Video. Personally I think they'd be out of their minds to pay that much money for YouTube anyway, seems like quite an exorbitant price to me.

well how they earn from youtube? i don't think they will be getting much money from advertisements.

I don't see any adverts on YouTube right now, so unless I'm missing something, income from advertising isn't part of the current model.

If, and when, YouTube is bought, I can only assume advertising will appear in some shape or form. Again, to quote Isabel Wang, "According to another WSJ report on Aug 30, YouTube visitors have spent more than 9300 years on its website. What can you not sell if you have access to 9300 years worth of attention?"
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I don't see any adverts on YouTube right now, so unless I'm missing something, income from advertising isn't part of the current model.
    I thought they had Google ads there, but can't see any now.

They do have other streams of revenue though, with distribution deals with content providers etc. It's a web 2.0 model you know.

I heard Warner's are also on same track hopefully, they have strategic alliance with youtube recently.

Totally agreed.

Its not gonna make it any better!!!

It would help if YouTube cut the bitrate on thier streams down to 300k (That or use WMV7 to stream them)

Stremaing via flash is stupid,but if they did it right it would work flawlessly on slower processors!! (I have a 450Mhz CPU and most of thier vids dont play well (Keep skipping,etc....))

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

It was only a matter of time - Google buys YouTube

Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Google Inc., the most-used Internet search engine, agreed to buy YouTube Inc. for $1.65 billion, adding the largest video-sharing site on the Web and an audience that watches more than 100 million clips a day.
    I knew it was only a matter of time:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...mcU&refer=home

Seems like Google have a good purchase there.
    Centation Web Services
    Bristol based web design
    Offering website design, SEO, website hosting, website development and domain registration.

Breaking News :: Google buys YouTube.

Internet search engine Google has bought top video entertainment site YouTube for almost £1bn in stock.

The deal brings together two of the internet's most popular and powerful brands.

And it drives the price of consumer-generated media websites even higher.

The agreement is the first deal to value one of the new crop of user-participation websites at more than $1bn - £0.54bn.

Google has long been synonymous with rapid innovation on the internet - YouTube has spearheaded the video-sharing craze that has taken the entertainment world by storm in recent months.

The search engine is now placed at the forefront of the video revolution on the web.

Google's chief executive officer Eric Schmidt said: "We are natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to users, content owners and advertisers."

YouTube is now the most expensive purchase Google has made in its eight-year history.

:: YouTube will continue to retain its brand, as well as all 67 employees, including co-founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen.

Source :: http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...236673,00.html

EDIT: Not, quick enough, it would appear.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 10-09-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

That's it. I'm creating a site that loses a ton of money, but totally conviences the user just so I can get bought out for billions.

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    That's it. I'm creating a site that loses a ton of money, but totally conviences the user just so I can get bought out for billions.
    seems like a plan!

I thought that's what we were all doing, whoops.

I do hope that Goggle have the good sense to stand well clear of YouTube [as much as possible] and let them get on with it, it ain't broke, there's nothing to fix. Well that's this users' opinion anyway.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

67 employees? Sheesh...

I'm with you there inogenius -- what a waste of money, IMO.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

rofl..a waste of money? If it was a waste of money Google wouldnt of bought it.

They're going to control the planet by about 2013 at this rate.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Google will fit it into their model. There's no doubt they can with the resources that they have, I just wonder what kind of effects it will have on the users. With broadband connections becoming more and more popular, and television networks looking to reach users through more channels now, Google could very well sell TV spots on YouTube.

It was a lot of money... but then, how much money would it take to build something similar? Google has already failed to reach a large populous with their video site... Plus, youtub has signed deals with content providers.... this could be a deal for google in the long run...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Smart move by Google especially if they leave YouTube alone.

Its offical and a video from the founders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVxQ_3Ejkg

Well good for them. I hope they spend the money wisely or at the very least blow it on cheap frills and send it back into the economy.

Sheesh. Those two guys were normal people a year and half ago, now they're worth billions. They didn't really even come up with anything innovative, I guess they just had enough money for big server fees.

ha! i have already integrated tons of google videos into one of my highest traffic sites.

each video is on a different page and has its own advertisements and SEO.

THANKS GOOGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by WHTer
    Sheesh. Those two guys were normal people a year and half ago, now they're worth billions. They didn't really even come up with anything innovative, I guess they just had enough money for big server fees.
    With several rounds of VC funding too. By the time they pay their capital gains tax, all the VCs get their cut, they're far from being billionaires. They're very rich, but not "worth billions".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast